Trailers in French Aires (1 Viewer)

val-h

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
We are planning to travel in Europe in our Hymer (18ft) towing a fairly large box trailer (14ft-ish) carrying two large motorcycles.

Are there any restrictions for trailer in the French Aires and campsites in general?

Has anyone had any bad experiences with big trailers in Europe?

Val.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
We haven't had a problem on Aires (21ft van + 10ft trailer) but the aires have been quite quiet at the times we visited. Just park with consideration :Smile:. Not aware of any specific rules.

Haven't used sites so can't help there.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have never seen a trailer on a French air but know nothing about any regulations that my be in force. However I suspect that if you put your trailer on and an aire and the aire was full I'm sure you would be asked to move it.

The next time I am speaking to a French friend I will ask him and post it if no one comes up with a more complete answer.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Provided there is space a trailer isn't a problem,

I've had a double axle trailer and 36ft RV on many aires .. just be sensible and be prepared to move it if it's busy and don't use up two spaces.. you will be surprised how many French and Germans pull trailers , not just the Brits

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
Trailers on Aires

We were on the Aire at Cleres last year and because of the bad weather the only pitch that we could have got on had a car trailer on it and they were not prepared to move it, they were in actual fact taking up 2 spaces. By the way, they weren't the only ones doing it and you are allowed up to 72 hrs in any one stay. We finished up trying to put our van on a very thin strip that wasn't thick with mud, we vowed we would never stay there again.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We are planning to travel in Europe in our Hymer (18ft) towing a fairly large box trailer (14ft-ish) carrying two large motorcycles.

Are there any restrictions for trailer in the French Aires and campsites in general?

Has anyone had any bad experiences with big trailers in Europe?

Val.

Hi Val!

Been looking for you on the net about the laws for motorhomes AND trailers and found that interresting link. As in french, this is roughly what it says:to park during the day can't be forbidden unless dangerous, annoying or abusive; and if you see specific signs(can be forbidden on the beach; in a classified forest etc...wherever you can spoil the site and/or be a danger for it).
The law says be sensible when you park and that will be ok. So on aires there is no other specific restriction.

If you have more precise questions let me know, i'll phone to the department in charge of the aires

http://www.linternaute.com/acheter/camping-car/legislation.shtml

Hope it helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::winky:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i know that most motorhomers overhere say caravans not allowed, although i had been told by a french friend that as long as nothing was placed on the ground other than your vehicle tyres e.g. landing legs, water and waste carriers, table and chairs it was ok, I have to say i have never bothered with aires but have thought about it.

but on just doing a search have come accross the following

Caravans using 'aires du campingcar' has been discussed on French forums & the concensus is that caravans can legally use aires provided nothing is placed on the ground, ie water carriers, steps etc. This is the letter of the law but in practise it probably would'nt matter.

::bigsmile: now you can all argue that one out

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
No difference between trailers and caravans. It is just the same : park properly, don't stay in the way, use the services for grey and black waters and that's it . Now all i can say more is in practice: i've been using aires since i was a child with my parents every single year when going on holidays as we always camped (with a caravan) and never , ever, saw a gendarme tell us to go away just because we had put a chair (well 4 in fact + table) outside!as long as you're just having a pause /a meal, that you're not going to saty there all night you're ok. The only time we've been told to move , i was about 10 years old and we were on the beach and even so they told us to spend the night and to move in the morning. that was ages ago of course so i would think today you would have to move immediatly.But indeed most of the time when gendarmes come along and tell you to move it is much more for your own good unless you are really parked in a dangerous or annoying place/way!

Don't worry and go ahead!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
No argument here ...

No Caravan sign at Honfluer Aire ..

Link Removed

Hi Jim!

As you can see on the sign the "legs" (sorry have no idea of the name of it:Blush:) of the caravan are on the ground so that means you can't STAY but i would think you can park for a pause . Just in case i'm going to check the meaning of it, i could be wrong!. In any case as i was saying in the first post unless you see signs you can park but park never meant stay for the night.

Amicalement

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim!

As you can see on the sign the "legs" (sorry have no idea of the name of it:Blush:) of the caravan are on the ground so that means you can't STAY but i would think you can park for a pause . Just in case i'm going to check the meaning of it, i could be wrong!. In any case as i was saying in the first post unless you see signs you can park but park never meant stay for the night.

Amicalement

Hi Frankie..

I've visited many many aires and have seldom seen a caravan on one..
On a couple of occasions I have seen the Municipal Police move on 'undesirables' .. in clapped out panel vans with sign writing still visible..

I did see them move on a caravan at Mimizan.. but oddly, said nothing to a motorhome pulling a caravan.. :Doh:

Personally I can't see the problem provided the caravan has a proper waste container ( not just a bucket ) and doesn't let waste flow onto the ground.. not an issue for a 5er as it has built in tanks same as a motorhome.

I've thought about going back to tugging, it makes economic sense when funds are tight and your only going away during school holidays, but not being able to use aires has put me off .. I can't imagine using sites again.. aires are fab..

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie..

I've visited many many aires and have seldom seen a caravan on one..
On a couple of occasions I have seen the Municipal Police move on 'undesirables' .. in clapped out panel vans with sign writing still visible..

I did see them move on a caravan at Mimizan.. but oddly, said nothing to a motorhome pulling a caravan.. :Doh:

Personally I can't see the problem provided the caravan has a proper waste container ( not just a bucket ) and doesn't let waste flow onto the ground.. not an issue for a 5er as it has built in tanks same as a motorhome.

I've thought about going back to tugging, it makes economic sense when funds are tight and your only going away during school holidays, but not being able to use aires has put me off .. I can't imagine using sites again.. aires are fab..

I'll do my best Jim to check whether they have the right to do so! You know sometimes a simple rule becomes something else in the gendarmes' mind . I wouldn't be surprised at all that it just became a habit. Sometimes as well it 's a special law from the local council, whatever the reason is . But i found quite annoying to think i can't pause on an aire. I will find out no matter how long it will take. And will find out as well if one can be fined cause if not .... well i guess i will really badly behave and will stop on them if i wish too:Angry:That is soooooooo stupid!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
It's France!

Do whatever you like - as long as you have done it with consideration for others.

Unlike in this country, where people will do whatever they like for purely selfish reasons.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We are booked to go to France 28th Aug- 11th Sept, we intend to tow our trike on the back of our Tribute, therefore if we used Aires for up to 72 hours would there be room to park trike side of Tribute when we got back from a ride out, or are you tightly packed in. I have never done this before and we are wondering if it would be better to book campsites.
Thanks John.

http://[URL=http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/harleyjohn/trailer-ette006.jpg]Link Removed[/URL]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Play it by ear John, many aires have plenty of space to park in-line.. some of course don't ..

The aires on my Google map ( link in signature ) should all be fine .. all big enough for a 36ft RV ..

Do you have any specific area or aire you plan to use ?

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
We've seen plenty of trailers with motorbikes on aires, never seen any conflicts with them. The only caravan we saw was on the Calais Plage, he was a Brit took up two spaces and was not moved on when the guardian came for the fees.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Play it by ear John, many aires have plenty of space to park in-line.. some of course don't ..

The aires on my Google map ( link in signature ) should all be fine .. all big enough for a 36ft RV ..

Do you have any specific area or aire you plan to use ?

Thanks Jim, Just booked the ferry so far, we havn't made our minds up yet which part of France to go, we like the sea front and quite busy.

John.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim, Just booked the ferry so far, we havn't made our minds up yet which part of France to go, we like the sea front and quite busy.

John.

Hi John
If going West I recommend Honfleur as a first stop..

Aire Location>
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115843103054280433491.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&ll=49.441455,0.254745&spn=0.052461,0.166683&z=13&iwloc=00045c1b6d4a09e636f51

a bustling town, great cafe's and restaurants with a lovely harbour and marina ..
the aire is close, about 10 min walk with tons of space for the biggest outfits ..

safe travels

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
All i can sat is i dont think anyone would mind as long as you dont take up 2 spaes and the trailer was not dangerously parked. I nearly hit one when arriving at Calais in the dark one night last year.

By the way i think that sign with the caravan on means caravans permitted.
If they are prohibited there should be a black diagonal stripe through it.

Phill

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi John
If going West I recommend Honfleur as a first stop..

Aire Location>
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115843103054280433491.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&ll=49.441455,0.254745&spn=0.052461,0.166683&z=13&iwloc=00045c1b6d4a09e636f51

a bustling town, great cafe's and restaurants with a lovely harbour and marina ..
the aire is close, about 10 min walk with tons of space for the biggest outfits ..

safe travels

Thank you very much Jim, That's going to be our first stop from Calais.

John.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thank you very much Jim, That's going to be our first stop from Calais.

John.

It's a comfortable 3 hr drive from Calais and if you use the A29/E44 you miss Rouen .. a bonus in my book :thumb:

see route
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Calais,+France&daddr=Honfleur,+France&geocode=%3BFc0U8gIdm4wDACnFXQ_jpTPgRzHw6rxPSBQMBA&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=49.424597,0.307617&sspn=0.104957,0.333366&ie=UTF8&ll=50.268277,1.658936&spn=1.650288,5.333862&z=8

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Hi,

This represents my first exposure to doing the MH Thing and the practical side seems just as new/complicated as the cultural considerations that I would not have even thought about before.

For instance I chanced upon (another forum) a thread regarding using MHs, trailers and Aires and/or just trailers in general with MHs and the different opinions (no problem with that), but more so the enthusiasm with which certain extremes of opinion came across I have to admit came as a surprise.

From what I gather it seems as though the mainlander Europeans don't go in for the tugging of trailers (although a previous post here differs) and yet if I were to go wandering for more than a few days I reckon I would seriously miss my little Fiat 500.

Someone suggested not to worry so long as you didn't take up two spaces? It's a trailer.

By the way, how do you define Aires? Must the space allow parking for travellers and their waste disposal? What other options (for parking/water/waste) will I have when roaming France/Europe/UK? Does the Uk have similar sites (I can't think of any from memory - what do you guys do when UK-onshoring)?

Thanks,
Moo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,

By the way, how do you define Aires? Must the space allow parking for travellers and their waste disposal?

French aires are a network of official motorhome only parking places, all have water and waste disposal, many have an EHU.. Some are free , others a few euro. You normally have to pay for water on 'free' aires.
Most villages have an aire, look for the signs. 'Aire de camping car', with a motorhome symbol.
ccbleu.gif

Do not confuse camping car aires with Autoroute aires, I would not use them overnight, these are open to all traffic and have a bad reputation for break-ins.
Check this site for full information. http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

What other options (for parking/water/waste) will I have when roaming France/Europe/UK?
Does the Uk have similar sites (I can't think of any from memory - what do you guys do when UK-onshoring)?

The UK has only a few 'aires' , the nearest we have is the excellent network of CLs ,( certified locations) small 5 van sites under the auspices of the the Caravan Club .. membership is required.
images

A similar network is run by the Camping and Caravan Club, called CS. (certified sites)

'on-shoring' .. sorry, not a term i'm familiar with , do you mean 'free camping' or 'boondocking' ?

Moo

hope that helps..

Last edited:

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
'On-shore'? Sorry for the confusion. I just used it to signify a UK resident travelling in the UK (as opposed to abroad). What the hell is 'boondocking'?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
'Boondocking' is the term used in the U.S.A. for wildcamping, over there using the term 'shore or city' water and electric is the equivilant to our electric hookup and fresh water supplied on sites

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back