New French speed limits from July 2018 (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
80KMPH.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Being 4.5 tonnes we are already limited to 80kph but try and maintain that speed and you will soon have an HGV up your chuff urging you to get a move on.
Most HGV's drive at 87-88kph most of the time so it will be interesting to see what speed they maintain after the change becomes law.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
France, which used to have very few fixed speed cameras, has been installing them at a rate of knots over the last couple of years preparing for this.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
On my trip home there was a huge holdup in Rouen over the river and on and on, It was two trucks the rear one hit the tipper truck in front which was waiting in traffic, The rear on had no cab at all as it fitted the shape of the rear of the tipper body right back to the large crane attached behind the cab. No one survived that one. He must have been going like a dingbat into stationary traffic queue. Dropping the limt by ten kph does not stop those types of crashes.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
I believe that France has the worst road death tolls in Europe, they are eager to change this but at the same time demand to maintain their rights of 90kph. New rules have just come into being if you are caught on the phone whilst driving it is now an immediate suspension of licence yet still one sees drivers with mobiles pressed firmly against their ear whilst continuing to drive fast and very close .. it is a very French thing their perceived rights and freedoms. Expect many many rolling road blocks and other disturbances this year in France. My advice would be to travel early or late in the day and avoid where possible large town and major roads.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
A bit of a joke that the UK cannot pursue EU drivers in this country breaking traffic laws, yet the EU has every right to chase us !!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
It’s not only the speed that causes the accidents, it’s the tailgating and ‘thrupenny bit’ overtaking; i.e. a foot from your derrière, out, then back a foot from your bonnet!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
It’s not only the speed that causes the accidents, it’s the tailgating and ‘thrupenny bit’ overtaking; i.e. a foot from your derrière, out, then back a foot from your bonnet!
Strangely when I mentioned their overtaking technique I was told that is exactly how the French are trained to overtake :eek::eek::eek::eek: Apparently they believe the dangerous period of the overtaking manoeuvre is when they are out of their lane resulting in the ..... up yer bum - swing out - swing in .... THEN .... slow down ... crazy ideas sometimes ... but at least we have very very little road rage here ... swings and roundabouts eh?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
how the French are trained to overtake

True! As far as the bit before overtaking is concerned. So yes, trained to be very near from the back of your car/MH BUT not when it comes to go back in the lane , the rule we are taught is , look into your right wing mirror , when you can see the whole car behind you in it, then indicator, then back into the lane. So that's not one foot in front of your bonnet, unless you suddenly decide to accelarate

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
I can only summise that the right hand mirror on many French cars is poorly adjusted. Being a professional driver I have never accelarated when being over taken, I have however beyond count in HGV's, my motorhome and my old Citroen been overtaken as I described. I hope I don't come across as picking on French drivers, for not all conduct themselves in such a manner and there are many horrendous drivers from all nations .. but ...the facts are the facts, and there are many positives to the roads in France as I mentioned, road rage is rare, French drivers are much more forgiving of the faults of others than we Brits (generally) tend to be

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It's not just the change in speed limits.
How come the French visiting the UK get caught in a speed trap, they go home and the fine doesn't & wont follow them.
Us in France get caught in a speed trap and the fine does follow us home?!?!?!?
That's just not fair!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
It's not just the change in speed limits.
How come the French visiting the UK get caught in a speed trap, they go home and the fine doesn't & wont follow them.
Us in France get caught in a speed trap and the fine does follow us home?!?!?!?
That's just not fair!
Not sure that is correct, I am not sure the fine will follow in either direction .... "unless someone KNOWS differently" ... does that sound a little like something used to be said on the Ester Ranson show all those years ago?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We are in France at present, property sitting and this was forwarded to me from the owners who live in France.
"
New rules/Laws for drivers in France
As from July 1st 2018 the speed limit for any road without a central reservation will be reduced to 80Kph,

Penalties for drink driving and driving with drugs in your system are also being stiffened up, any driver that is stopped and has their vehicle confiscated due to excess alcohol in the blood for the second time, will only be able to get their car back if they take a medical test, and if their car is then fitted with a breathalyser device that prevents it from starting if the driver has too much alcohol in their system.

Similarly, anyone who is found to be driving while drugged or who has more than 0.8 grams of alcohol in their blood will see their car “immediately” impounded for seven days.

Also targeted drivers using mobile phones police will be allowed to confiscate driving licences “on the spot” if they see a driver using a phone and committing a driving offence while doing so.

Along with that the testing regime (Controle Technique) will be changed currently not required for the first 4 years and then every 2 years, will change to after 6 years of age every year, the amount of checks will also be increased and new testers will have to have a specific qualification.

So if coming to France after July 1st remember the new speed limit will be 80Kph, unless otherwise signaled."

I am inclined to believe it's those who have made their lives in France for more than 20 years should know what is happening!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Just booked my car in for the C.T. yesterday and talking to the mechanic he told me there are a few errors in the reporting.
C.T. will continue to be every two years contrary to the report.
The other changes whilst on the surface seem strict he says in reality change very little unless there are only three wheels on the vehicle. The C.T. (mot) remains less strict the the UK

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
80KPH GREVE.jpg

And so it begins here in France .... the first but almost certainly not the last

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
I don't mind traveling at 50mph, get to see more of the countryside :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I find my train horn gets a lot more use in France with their close front pull in , more so than other countries , what they do behind is their problem :)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
This is going to cause a lot of French camping car drivers a big problem as a high percentage of them do not appear to know that camping cars can travel below 100 plus KPH (y)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Speed camera car.jpg

This is a French car equipped with inbuilt speed camera and ANPR you are being watched

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back