aires in this country (1 Viewer)

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
as it does not look like the government or local authorities what would the position be for private aires in and around towns and villages all linked together as a franchise or some type of self running individually owned business venture.the land could even be provided by the local town or village to enhance local trade and retail.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as it does not look like the government or local authorities what would the position be for private aires in and around towns and villages all linked together as a franchise or some type of self running individually owned business venture.the land could even be provided by the local town or village to enhance local trade and retail.

No chance in our lifetime.

What with planners and NIMBYs and tree huggers and no cash and short sightedness it just will not happen.

Best we can hope for is a trickle of CLs.

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country.html#post266356

but if these people in charge looked at it from the point of view, it provided employment and it would bring in much needed cash for local traders perhaps they would have a second look and realise the merits of the enterprise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Aires in this country?????
You've more chance of being struck by a snowball in hell::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

A non starter, .. the only press Mhomes get is BAD press.. the few spoiling it for the many.. and there are too many vested interests, local sites, CC and CCC. would all object.

There are a couple of aires, one at Canterbury and I think Tintatgel ...

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country.html#post266364

there are a few about and little acorns do grow into big oak trees.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A non starter, .. the only press Mhomes get is BAD press.. the few spoiling it for the many.. and there are too many vested interests, local sites, CC and CCC. would all object.

There are a couple of aires, one at Canterbury and I think Tintatgel ...

A few more than two but still not many - see Here. The Tintagel car park is privately owned so it is possible for individuals/companies to provide facilities.

I don't know what sort of hoops they would have to go through and it is probably easier for an existing site with planning permission for parking already than for someone to purchase land specially. I suppose the incentive, as with all businesses, would all depend on the potential ROI.

Graham

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country.html#post266401

i am surprised tesco or one of the other large supermarkets havnt latched on to the idea especially with 24 hour opening facilities, i am sure the participants would purchase fuel and food from these stores when they were there and with the cost to fill up being in the region of 80 pounds plus say the same from a campers shop multiplied across the country would amount to a considerable addition to there turnover.

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
I am sorry to have to agree with the majority of the pessimistic comments in this thread.
But I do see the possibility of a way forward if someone had the time and energy to investigate the setting up of a scheme where there was a private car park and getting the owner to see the financial potential of allowing an aire type arrangement if they thought they would get extra income from the visitors.
One example may be of a large out of town garden or shopping centres.
I still don’t see it working but if it was ever to I think this would be a possibility but the person trying to get it set up would need to be a good salesman and perhaps use the example of France in a hope the success of France would encourage them to participate

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
perhaps use the example of France in a hope the success of France would encourage them to participate

We are quite new to MHing, have used a few aires and municipal sites. But so far we have hardly contributed any serious amount to the local community. A bag of shopping, a meal, nothing. I kept wondering "why do they bother". But over the year maybe it does benefit the locals.

One place we stopped in France an enterprising local baker came round with his bread van in the morning.

I see another difference in France, the "town" is still intact. The local shops are still there. Over here Tesco have destroyed our towns and sprawl and planners and yobs mean any parking would be miles from any remaining shops.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Never in a million years is this going to happen here.

Can you imagine the glee on the faces of the gypsies:Eeek:
Ready made parking areas with water and waste facilites, youd never get near them for the caravans, dogs and snotty nosed kids running round :cry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A few more than two but still not many - see Here.

Graham

Hi Graham

Your list is excellent, and I know the work you put in, but with all due respect, how many of your entries are proper aires ie .. with dumping, fresh water or with an ehu ?

It the very minimum, to be classed as an Aire, it must have fresh water and dumping.. otherwise it's only a parking concession.

Today I made a point of reading the signs in Woodbridge car parks, our closest market town.. It has three Pay and Display car parks, no height barriers but all have a new sign, No Motorised Caravans..

Woodbridge and the surrounding area of coastal Suffolk is heritage countryside, it's literally crawling with MHs all looking for a bit of wild camping and sight seeing.. but they won't be buying anything in Woodbridge, the Tesco Extra on the A12, about 5 miles away will be getting all the trade..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never in a million years is this going to happen here.

Can you imagine the glee on the faces of the gypsies:Eeek:
Ready made parking areas with water and waste facilites, youd never get near them for the caravans, dogs and snotty nosed kids running round :cry:

so why does this not happen in France or Germany..

Is it because they already provide adequate facilities for the travelling people, or do they just use bigger sticks ?

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country-2.html#post266463

it would not take much effort or a lot of money,which, (with a small charge would soon be recouped) to plumb into a manhole and provide a tap and signage.

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Yes ivè often wondered why the travellers don't tend to use aires never seen any in my travels they seem better organised in France yo see plenty of them but they seem to keep themselves to themselves. mind I Did see some travelers using the aire at Dolus on Ile De Oleron to get water but they didn`t stay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i am surprised tesco or one of the other large supermarkets havnt latched on to the idea especially with 24 hour opening facilities, i am sure the participants would purchase fuel and food from these stores when they were there and with the cost to fill up being in the region of 80 pounds plus say the same from a campers shop multiplied across the country would amount to a considerable addition to there turnover.

I got in touch with the major supermarkets towards the end of 2006. The Response was underwhelming. Some had experienced problems with illegal campsites being set up and/or boy racers using the car parks in the evening and causing damage.

Hi Graham

Your list is excellent, and I know the work you put in, but with all due respect, how many of your entries are proper aires ie .. with dumping, fresh water or with an ehu ?

It the very minimum, to be classed as an Aire, it must have fresh water and dumping.. otherwise it's only a parking concession.
(snip)

Point taken Jim. TBH I've only listed the information I've been given.

Today I made a point of reading the signs in Woodbridge car parks, our closest market town.. It has three Pay and Display car parks, no height barriers but all have a new sign, No Motorised Caravans..

Woodbridge and the surrounding area of coastal Suffolk is heritage countryside, it's literally crawling with MHs all looking for a bit of wild camping and sight seeing.. but they won't be buying anything in Woodbridge, the Tesco Extra on the A12, about 5 miles away will be getting all the trade..

I can only imagine that there have been problems at Woodbridge and/or the car parks are unsuitable for large vehicles. As posted on previous threads, Suffolk Coastal Council have been most helpful and have been proactive in trying to identify places where MH parking can be allowed.

Graham

OP
OP
D

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country-3.html#post266490

i do not see the relationship between illegal camp sites and boy races. the provision of properly organised aire type areas would in the very least alleviate the illegal camp site problem, also provide a low key security presence if only a visible one, as for boy races surely this is one for the local police to deal with and could not be held against motorhomers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i do not see the relationship between illegal camp sites and boy races. the provision of properly organised aire type areas would in the very least alleviate the illegal camp site problem, also provide a low key security presence if only a visible one, as for boy races surely this is one for the local police to deal with and could not be held against motorhomers.

This again works in France, many supermarkets allow over night stays.. all we seem to get are excuses, not reasons..

SuperU have aires at many of their stores, with water and dumping..

The picture shows the 'sanitation' bay at SuperU, complete with a laundry ! .. .. open 24/7, :thumb:

Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The point is that some supermarkets use barriers on their car parks because they have, in the past, suffered the attentions of boy racers and people setting up illegal camp sites.

Where that has happened they are wary of removing the barriers in case similar problems occur again. It is nothing to do with motorhomers but everything to do with avoiding the expense and trouble of dealing with the problems experienced previously.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This again works in France, many supermarkets allow over night stays.. all we seem to get are excuses, not reasons..

SuperU have aires at many of their stores, with water and dumping..

Looks very nice Jim. Perhaps what is needed is the same as with local councils - somebody to make direct approaches to the supermarkets (or local managers) with evidence of how poviding facilities could be to the advantage of the company.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The point is that some supermarkets use barriers on their car parks because they have, in the past, suffered the attentions of boy racers and people setting up illegal camp sites.

Graham

There are just as many, if not more, travellers and boy racers in France, yet they overcome these problems and cater for motorhomers.. they see the benefits rather than the problems and deal with it ..

However, there is a huge difference between the UK and France, nearly every French family has or has access to a camping car ... it's a way of life enjoyed by the majority ..

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
so why does this not happen in France or Germany..

Is it because they already provide adequate facilities for the travelling people, or do they just use bigger sticks ?

In France some of the local councils set aside special areas for travellers complete with toilets, washrooms, laundries etc; also the police clamp down on travellers who abuse these areas, the police also stop them parking on Aires set aside for camping cars ie; us lot. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In France some of the local councils set aside special areas for travellers complete with toilets, washrooms, laundries etc; also the police clamp down on travellers who abuse these areas, the police also stop them parking on Aires set aside for camping cars ie; us lot. :thumb:

Indeed, and they carry 9mm 'attitude adjusters' for the belligerent :roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are just as many, if not more, travellers and boy racers in France, yet they overcome these problems and cater for motorhomers.. they see the benefits rather than the problems and deal with it ..

However, there is a huge difference between the UK and France, nearly every French family has or has access to a camping car ... it's a way of life enjoyed by the majority ..

Thanks Jim - could well be that huge difference that means the benefits are more easily visible. Another point is that France is a lot bigger than the UK and is traversed (over several days) by people going from northern Europe to southern or vice versa and who all need to stay somewhere on several nights - as opposed to people travelling through the UK to/from Europe who would tend to need only one night stop at most - again a much higher demand in France.

Just thinking back to conversations we had with council officers/members when we were getting Guisborough off the ground, some actually commented that they weren't actually aware of a demand for aire type facilities - it simply isn't a subject which has a high profile amongst those who run municipal car parks. The subject of "travellers" possibly setting up an illegal campsite on the car park was raised (that is a subject which has a much higher profile with the same people) but the comment was made from within officer/member ranks that the car park in question had been there for years and had not been abused in that way so the potential problem was instantly dismissed.

I think there is a bit of a difference between council car parks and private land owned by stores or their landlords (which is the source of my initial mention of illegal camp sites and boy racers). The purpose of the car parks is to entice people to buy at their stores rather than elsewhere and doesn't have to be much more than a decently surfaced and marked out piece of land for that.
From the point of view of a commercial organisation they:
a) don't want the costs of dealing with abuse of the site so will take the most cost-effective preventative measures possible
b) won't spend money on providing EHU/water/waste disposal (which isn't their core business) unless they think they can achieve the return they would want on their investment.
If the companies could expect levels of usage of Aires as you've already shown happens in France then they might well go for it. I suspect, though, that potential usage would be much less.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back