That's it, we've both decided we've had enough! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Me and hubby have been having a good chat and have decided that enough is enough ... we're not going to hang-on and live in limbo anymore ... life's too short and time is marching on so no more treading water and getting fed-up with each other so that's it ... we're going to have a break ... :(

... from home ... to go on holiday in the camper!!!! :Grin:

As for the 'limbo' ... as many will know we've got some issues with our camper and are waiting for it to be sorted, the most major thing being the cracking shower tray ... but we've decided we're not gonna wait around endlessly for it to be sorted (the part is due in by the end of January at the earliest ... not holding my breath!) then we'd have to sort out when we could take it and leave with the dealer to sort it out, by which time we're probably looking mid-late February which is too late for us. We want to be away for hubby's 60th birthday on 12th Feb so have said 'sod it' we're gonna go with or without a fixed shower tray and stay 'smelly' if needs be! :p

I've just booked the Eurotunnel crossings so out in Feb and back towards the end of March in time to allow us a few days to sort out the final payment for our 2nd lodge which is due by 31st.

Just gotta decide exactly where to go to get a bit of sun and hopefully warmer temperatures ... any ideas? NOT Italy or Morocco (too complicated with the dogs).

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
ust gotta decide exactly where to go to get a bit of sun and hopefully warmer temperatures ... any ideas?

French Atlantic coast tour down to Spanish border, should be warm enough in February. We'll be going that way in March.
It seem the west is warmer in winter and the east side is colder, it changes around in summer. Enjoy

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Good on you, me and misses have both just quit our jobs to tour Europe for a year in our motorhome with the pooch :) slightly scared as was both well paid but life really is too short, we are leaving similar time to you too, life is for living not for working. Enjoy your travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just go. :) You will know you can't be sure of sun anywhere at that time of year unless you drive down to Benidorm or thereabouts. As suggested, just amble south through France, avoiding the pointy bits. Although well out on a limb the beaches of Brittany will be attractive. You can't beat a good storm and big waves. :) But I would avoid the coast further south, too bleak and windswept. But that's just a personal view. :) Stay inland instead and explore the villages.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've got 45 days so no rush, ideally want a bit of warmth as this cold weather really gets to me ... hubby's thinking of going down to Spain but not sure which 'bit' would be best for winter ... thanks for any suggestions! :D

We'll be away for hubby's 60th and my 55th ... family probably won't be happy at us not being here especially for hubby's special birthday but we're not ones for celebrations/parties etc so will just find somewhere to have a nice nosh at some point. I haven't told my Mum yet though, I know I'll get earache as she doesn't like me going away anyway ... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just thought I'd add ... another reason why we've booked the holiday now is that today I've been to hospital to have a large cyst removed from the rear of my shoulder blade, it was deeper than they realised so I've got a bigger 'wound' than originally expected although it doesn't appear to be anything nasty which is good. I've been waiting for it to be done for a while and it was finally scheduled for next week but as they had a cancellation today I got called in early - this means that hopefully by the time we go it should all be nicely healed up ... weather permitting wherever we end up I might, just might, be able to do a bit of swimming ... if the water isn't too cold! Yay! (y)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
good luck and enjoy, how about a temporary fix to the shower tray? if there is room to spray in some self-setting foam while you or hubby are stood on the tray then tape over of the cracks that should do till the new tray is properly fitted.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
good luck and enjoy, how about a temporary fix to the shower tray? if there is room to spray in some self-setting foam while you or hubby are stood on the tray then tape over of the cracks that should do till the new tray is properly fitted.
I did some temporary filling before but can't get under it sufficiently to do any more without risking cracking the tray and making it totally useless, I'm thinking of putting some sealant in the cracks and then placing some waterproof tape over so we can at least try to prevent them getting any worse and may be able to risk a shower, or we may ... horror of horrors ... even 'treat' ourselves to a night on a campsite occasionally to use their showers to scrape the muck off!

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cracked-shower-tray-in-globecar-camper.162438/

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
You really need to go as far as Beni for warm weather should not take longer than 4/5 days

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Beni ... BENI :Eeek:... isn't that where all the old fogies go in winter ... I know hubby's gonna be 60 but even so!!! o_O

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I did some temporary filling before but can't get under it sufficiently to do any more without risking cracking the tray and making it totally useless, I'm thinking of putting some sealant in the cracks and then placing some waterproof tape over so we can at least try to prevent them getting any worse and may be able to risk a shower, or we may ... horror of horrors ... even 'treat' ourselves to a night on a campsite occasionally to use their showers to scrape the muck off!

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cracked-shower-tray-in-globecar-camper.162438/
Wait till it starts to flake then give yourself a good shake - works for me >:).

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Good on you, me and misses have both just quit our jobs to tour Europe for a year in our motorhome with the pooch :) slightly scared as was both well paid but life really is too short, we are leaving similar time to you too, life is for living not for working. Enjoy your travels.
I did the same

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Me and hubby have been having a good chat and have decided that enough is enough ... we're not going to hang-on and live in limbo anymore ... life's too short and time is marching on so no more treading water and getting fed-up with each other so that's it ... we're going to have a break ... :(

... from home ... to go on holiday in the camper!!!! :Grin:

As for the 'limbo' ... as many will know we've got some issues with our camper and are waiting for it to be sorted, the most major thing being the cracking shower tray ... but we've decided we're not gonna wait around endlessly for it to be sorted (the part is due in by the end of January at the earliest ... not holding my breath!) then we'd have to sort out when we could take it and leave with the dealer to sort it out, by which time we're probably looking mid-late February which is too late for us. We want to be away for hubby's 60th birthday on 12th Feb so have said 'sod it' we're gonna go with or without a fixed shower tray and stay 'smelly' if needs be! :p

I've just booked the Eurotunnel crossings so out in Feb and back towards the end of March in time to allow us a few days to sort out the final payment for our 2nd lodge which is due by 31st.

Just gotta decide exactly where to go to get a bit of sun and hopefully warmer temperatures ... any ideas? NOT Italy or Morocco (too complicated with the dogs).
If you don’t mind me asking minxy girl ,why is it complicated with the dogs in Italy?we will be taking ours in the future ,many thanks .

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off

What about trying to cover in clingfilm.It might be unsightly but you can keep taking it out and replacing as required

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
You'll "pong a bit TOGETHER" that"s the important part, after a little while you may even grow to enjoy your rustic natural scent. What does it matter what others think, to pinch a well known saying "those that care don't matter, those that matter don't care" Another plus your joint perfumes will help to keep many at a distance giving you more time in each others company. You will find your sunshine I'm sure, you'll be travelling with him.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Beni ... BENI :Eeek:... isn't that where all the old fogies go in winter ... I know hubby's gonna be 60 but even so!!! o_O
Cheeky Beggar!!. Some of us 70+ year old`s still know how to party!.:D Go and Enjoy!. Wish we could. Still 2 Hospital visits booked and still no access to travel insurance.:(

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
/

Get a shower pipe extension from B&Q. Add a gate valve at the end before the shower head. Run it out through the vent and lash it to the outside of the van. Shower al fresco. It would look a bit like this:

1BB9B820-6123-48EE-BD55-7376F42CA19C.jpeg

If feeling really prudish wear bikini ( or mankini), or even put up a toilet tent around you. You must have one somewhere in that pile of canvas in your shed.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Snow at the north of Spain although it might have gone. The border was clear of everything in France but the hilly bit in Spain was really thick, Just for fun going down we went over the Andorra way, fuel is really cheap but a long way up and down, about a mtere of snow there and lots of really bad parkers on the road.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I managed in vw camper vans for years without a shower a kettle full of water a basin and a face cloth does absolutely fine.

Or I've seen folk stand outside in shorts and have a pan of water poured over them ...lather up and a second pan to rinse :)

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Go for it as they say life is short. Hope the op goes well. Baby wipes are very useful inbetween finding a proper shower. As a friend once said to me when needing a quick freshen up , the three F's Face, Feet and F ........y I am sure you can work that one out.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Go for it as they say life is short. Hope the op goes well. Baby wipes are very useful inbetween finding a proper shower. As a friend once said to me when needing a quick freshen up , the three F's Face, Feet and F ........y I am sure you can work that one out.
Struggling with this one:
Flunky?
Flaccidity?
Flimflammery?
Forestry?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Agree totally with @Stealaway .

The West of France is certainly warmer than the East during the winter.

Last year the River Sâone, near us, froze over and it’s a big river.
This year it is at flood level right now.

The cold air sweeps down from the Alps and Jura mountains and keeps the temperatures lower than you would expect.

Have a good trip. We will be “following you” at the beginning of March, travelling down through France to visit friends in Benelmadena, then touring around for about eight weeks on our way to our French base, aiming to arrive as the weather warms up in mid April.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I think Id be heading for the sun via Globecar's German headquarters and giving them some earache about fixing the shower tray.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think Id be heading for the sun via Globecar's German headquarters and giving them some earache about fixing the shower tray.
That thought crossed my mind when we were there last time but we were too far away ... I don't think we'll be going anywhere near it this time either.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you don’t mind me asking minxy girl ,why is it complicated with the dogs in Italy?we will be taking ours in the future ,many thanks .
The dog reference was only in relation to Morocco - in order to come back from there they have to have had blood tests done when they were originally vaccinated for rabies and only 2 of our were done under the 'old regime' which required it so our other one hasn't had it done, if we were wanting to stay away for 3 months or so then it might be worth doing so we could travel further afield but not at the moment.

As for Italy, there's no problem taking dogs there, but we're not interested in going as we went last year and didn't enjoy it as we found the roads bad (they ruined 2 of our tyres) and dirty in a lot of places.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What about trying to cover in clingfilm.It might be unsightly but you can keep taking it out and replacing as required
Our shower tray is in the centre aisle so we walk over it to use the loo etc so cling film wouldn't work, however I have some good transpaseal which I'll probably put over it along with the matt that usually sits on top of the wooden cover (which I'll leave out as this puts pressure on the cracked edge!).

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Since 2017
Good for you, and have a wonderful trip. Very interesting re: Italy as it's one of the few places I would consider taking the van.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Get a shower pipe extension from B&Q. Add a gate valve at the end before the shower head. Run it out through the vent and lash it to the outside of the van. Shower al fresco.
We could do that if we get desperate ... our basin tap is also the shower so already has a long extension on it which we can stick out of the washroom window if we can't use the tray at all, or we'll just stick to have good washdowns and maybe the odd campsite shower! Fortunately we're not ones that feel the need to have daily showers so can bear to stay a bit grubbier for a bit longer. :D
If feeling really prudish wear bikini ( or mankini), or even put up a toilet tent around you. You must have one somewhere in that pile of canvas in your shed.
My store of stuff for times when 'that might just come in handy' has been reduced so no tent although I'm sure I could rig up a temporary shower 'cubicle' outside if needs be.(y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I managed in vw camper vans for years without a shower a kettle full of water a basin and a face cloth does absolutely fine.

Or I've seen folk stand outside in shorts and have a pan of water poured over them ...lather up and a second pan to rinse :)
I usually wash my hair outside with a couple of buckets ... prefer it to doing it in the shower ... of course this assume that the weather isn't naff! o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back