dish or dome (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
It looks like Chris will get her way, she usually does so I may as well give in now and get something fitted, I hate eating on my own.

Can the powers that be please enlighten me as to the advantages, differences between a dome and a sat dish?

Much appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can the powers that be please enlighten me as to the advantages, differences between a dome and a sat dish?
Much appreciated.

Dome has much smaller dish, more to go wrong, big bulge that says "I'm a rich git, rob me".

KISS, crankup and if it does go wrong it can be fixed easily. And it leaves a little male pride in place.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i asked my self the same thing before xmas ,

dish or dome and could i justify the price tag of a dome , i had a suitcase set up and tripod which used to take a while to set up but worked perfectly well,

in the end i bought a camos flat sat crank up which i fitted myself , it has a smaller dish size and can be left up in stronger winds than the maxiveiw crank up , i can now find the satelllite alot quicker and have a picture with in 2 mins

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Also tripod mounted means you can move the dish if your parked near trees etc. The domes are great but if you cant get a signal because of where your pitched they seem a bit pointless :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Here Brian, I have a dome, not a rich git, not yet anyway. ::bigsmile:

Dome automatically finds satellite, no fiddling about raising and lowering dish. Cannot forget to wind it down, as it is always ready to go. At the ferryport you can watch TV, easily. Don't have to find North or South or whatever you have to with dish. OK, it is more expensive, but I think worth the extra.
Not affected by the weather. Great piece of kit.

Lesley

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

dish or dome and could i justify the price tag of a dome , i had a suitcase set up and tripod which used to take a while to set up but worked perfectly well,

in the end i bought a camos flat sat crank up which i fitted myself , it has a smaller dish size and can be left up in stronger winds than the maxiveiw crank up , i can now find the satelllite alot quicker and have a picture with in 2 mins

Thanks for that, have made an executive decision and booked in for the Camos crank up system.

Thanks for all the helpful

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I've just had a Camos dome fitted.
I went for the dome because of the problem of the van moving in windy conditions. Even though I put the back steadies down I find that the body moves about on its suspension and would often loose the digital freeview signal.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dome automatically finds satellite, no fiddling about raising and lowering dish.
Lesley

EXACTLY - you self confessed control freak, you just want to emasculate the poor male. No "Darling, have you got time to set the satellite dish up for me, you know I can't do it". NO. It'll be "I set it up I'm watching Desperate Housewives".

What next, are you going to tell us how good vibrators are ?

Men Are Human Too !

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
It looks like Chris will get her way, she usually does so I may as well give in now and get something fitted, I hate eating on my own.

Much appreciated.

Go for a dome anyday..everything controlled from within the m/h...saves the good lady getting wet while your shouting left a bit/right a bit:ROFLMAO:Dome on the roof wont get moved by anyone passing and takes 2 minutes to get a signal.Have a look here if iterested in a good s/h system
Link Removed

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Camos Flat Sat Plus everytime.

I would feel like a Tardis driving down the road with a big dome on top. In addition, because the dome is open to the elements all the time unlike the dish that folds down, SWMBO would have a hell of a time getting on the roof to clean it every other day :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:roflmto:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Quote Hilldweller: Men Are Human Too !

Are you sure::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:

Brian I never ask for help as I consider myself more than capable of any task a man can do. Never the hopeless female in our home. In fact when we eventually meet at Italy or somewhere on route, big challenge methinks.
As the song goes, Anything you can do, I can do better, :winky:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lesley

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
An interesting thread Ladies and Gentlemen.

I used to have a "crank up" but not for long, on one windy night it collapsed and stripped the PLASTIC gearbox. I had it repaired then got rid and bought a CAMOS DOME which has been in use on two consecative vans over a 4 year period, not once has it let me down, its the easiest piece of kit my other half has ever had.

Yes they are dear but I would rather pay more than worry about it falling apart in a gale.

Some peoples life styles are dictated by there illness's so my wife is often watching late night TV whilst I am asleep, she realises that to wake me in the middle of the night just to sort out a messed up satellite wouldn't be a good idea. So she paid the extra for a quite night. :thumb:

Any fixed system, crank-up or dome depends on the trees around you so you just have to be careful when parking. If you get it wrong you can always watch a Video / DVD.

The other BRIAN:RollEyes:

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hilldweller quote: What next, are you going to tell us how good vibrators are ?

Missed this one Brian, so here goes::bigsmile:

Never had the need for a vibrator.

Maybe you need to ask your O/H if they are any good :winky:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lesley

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In fact when we eventually meet at Italy or somewhere on route, big challenge methinks.
Lesley

My god. It's time to get religious. Which one shall I choose ?

No not that one, I'm not having the end sawn off.

Not that either, I can't sleep if it's too hot.

Must be one ?

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
No I am not a Rich Git either but have a Sat Dome and Free To Air (FTA) receiver. As previously stated, Dome remembers last Sat it was programmed to so need to re-programme if still n same sat footprint. Even changing to another Satelite, just press the button and the dome searches automatically and locks on when found. No problems when weather windy etc. etc. Was receiving UK TV/Radio channels whilst in Northern Spain as well. So impressed have just ordered another for use on my new van :winky:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
camos dome is the best bit of kit we got for the m/h, i was often out for hours trying to find a signal for her indoors to watch her soaps with a tripod 1 i had:Blush: but now 1 flick and its on, i just take the sky box.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
EXACTLY - you self confessed control freak, you just want to emasculate the poor male. No "Darling, have you got time to set the satellite dish up for me, you know I can't do it". NO. It'll be "I set it up I'm watching Desperate Housewives".

What next, are you going to tell us how good vibrators are ?

Men Are Human Too !

Are these vibrating satellite domes any good?
John

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have a dome, so must be rich, therefore please feel free to rob me camos.

althought the threads old, my thinking is this.

Dome = amazingly easy to use, not effected by wind, and although the dish is smaller, I have yet to fail to get a signal. + inmotion means, watch TV whilst you drive. :Eeek: ooh I mean pasengers can.

downside, can be pricey if your no good at ebay :winky:

standard auto, as above except for, take it down when going to bed incase it gets windy, try using it whilst driving :whatthe:

CRANK UP>>>>>>
unless your called Geo, Pappajohn, fman, ash, etc dont bother. I have had two systems, crank up, and maxview, Both of which have ended up on Ebay due to my complete inability to be able to find a signal. When I get somewhere I want, feet, up and entertainment, not to be the entertainment of every other motorhomer in view.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Domes are getting cheaper now. The Glomex is available at around £1000 and will pick up Astra 2 28e as far south as Gibraltar.
see www.glomexmobile.com
Am going to get one soon

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
I have the Maxview dish on legs no problem getting set up i am however thinking of the dome but will wait for the price to drop what i have seen on sites is the you have to be careful where you pitch your van for trees hills etc the one advantage with the dish is that you can move away from the van

Bill

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If your doing ok with the Maxview on a tripod, why bother changing.

Jim
:Smile:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
If your doing ok with the Maxview on a tripod, why bother changing.

Jim
:Smile:

Just for the ease of it i was at Maragowan Caravan Club site at the w/end for a spot of fishing and there was 3/4 vans having problems with the dome because of there location so i did have a smile on my face as i watched the World Cup also i have had no problems with the wind just peg it down

Bill

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

what is the picture like in FRANCE and Spain, I love the idea but Michael wont fit one unless he is sure it will work abroad.

Ginny

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Domes are getting cheaper now. The Glomex is available at around £1000 and will pick up Astra 2 28e as far south as Gibraltar.
see www.glomexmobile.com
Am going to get one soon

The Glomex looks very interesting, but I have never heard of this one before. Can you tell
me who installs them and a contact in the uk please??

Ginny

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Glomex looks very interesting, but I have never heard of this one before. Can you tell
me who installs them and a contact in the uk please??

Ginny

Hi Ginny

www.lazydays.biz at Hinstock is where I picked up the leaflet, Michael Davies has been my contact. I saw him a few weeks ago and at that time he said the price fitted was £1000 for the stationary model.
Signature mhomes have a special offer at present for a VDO dome £1150 + vat fitted I believe

Larry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back