Swift Escape 664 and alternatives............. (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hi there , all at Motorhome Fun.
My first post so go easy on me!

Planning to buy our first van and looking at Swift Escape 664 next week.
The reason for selecting this model is that it has 3 of our prime requirements , namely:-

Fixed Bed.
4 berths with 4 travelling seats.
Low profile.

I know opinion about Swifts is variable , some in support , some against but would welcome your thoughts. Swifts are generally very good value it seems.

We are thinking around 2012 vintage and let's say approximately £30k

Could I ask please what alternatives you would recommend we look at?
I can find many alternatives that seem OK but many vans are 4 berths with 2 or 3 travelling seats and this will not work with our 2 grandchildren.

I don't want to bias you in any particular direction but I like the look of Burstner and Chausson but there are many others.

Thank you in advance.

Jake

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Look at the same makes 4 years older check the resale values you will be paying the depreciation in the end!

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We've had our Swift 620FB on a Ducato chassis for a few years and been very happy with it. 2010 model and no damp issues, despite what many would say about them.

Ours is 4 berth with 2 travelling seats which always seems a bit odd to me but it suits us. Depending on your travel plans, the main thing we would look for in a new van is full insulation for colder climates.

Good luck finding the right van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Layout like this one below?

Escape_664_layouts_1.jpg

My only comment on that layout is that the shower takes up more space than it needs to, and could be more compact. Another option is to have the fixed double bed at 90 degrees to what's shown above, across the whole rear end of the vehicle. That way, if the bed's raised up, with a small ladder to get in and out of it, you'll have a taller and wider boot space below. If your grand kids have bikes and other such clobber, extra boot space might be handy. However, if you don't like negotiating a small ladder at bedtime, you may have no option but to go for the lower fixed bed. Some MHs have rear double beds with adjustable height so you can tailor boot space to your needs.

Below is the Swift Bessacarr 484 'non lounge' layout - the rear double bed is adjustable height. At full height you can just about fit adult bikes inside the boot, so no need for a bike rack. It works for us. The WC/sink compartment is also a shower, with a dual purpose tap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
How about one of Hymer's budget range the Corado the T348 is similar. For not much more than a 5 year old Swift you could have a much better built brand new Corado if you buy in Belgium or Germany.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Layout like this one below?

Escape_664_layouts_1.jpg

My only comment on that layout is that the shower takes up more space than it needs to, and could be more compact. Another option is to have the fixed double bed at 90 degrees to what's shown above, across the whole rear end of the vehicle. That way, if the bed's raised up, with a small ladder to get in and out of it, you'll have a taller and wider boot space below. If your grand kids have bikes and other such clobber, extra boot space might be handy. However, if you don't like negotiating a small ladder at bedtime, you may have no option but to go for the lower fixed bed. Some MHs have rear double beds with adjustable height so you can tailor boot space to your needs.

Below is the Swift Bessacarr 484 'non lounge' layout - the rear double bed is adjustable height. At full height you can just about fit adult bikes inside the boot, so no need for a bike rack. It works for us. The WC/sink compartment is also a shower, with a dual purpose tap.
Yes , that's pretty much the layout we are looking for.
I understand your comments about the washroom size.
My wife is uneasy about a sideways bed due to the height they are sometimes to get a garage under (some would say this is an advantage :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Look at the same makes 4 years older check the resale values you will be paying the depreciation in the end!

We all pay depreciation in the end.
I checked cars a few years ago looking at 'cheap' cars like Citroens VS say VW.
The buy high/sell high and it's companion buy low/sell low is quite true but the money lost due to depreciation is approximately the same.
Except that it costs more , of course to buy a 'quality' van in the first place.

Looking at only buy and sell prices , not the cost to own/maintain.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for mentioning insulation , had not yet considered it.
Do Swifts have options on insulation level?

To be honest, I don't know :rolleyes: But I'm sure someone will clarify. All I know is it would be a must for our next van. If you plan to travel year round it's definitely something you should consider.

We were naive when we bought our van and didn't do enough research. You're doing the right thing asking on here.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You can't beat a Burstner -------------------- T660
I'm not sure you would be happy assembling the second bed every night.

Check out all the other alternative models before you commit to buy

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Hi there , all at Motorhome Fun.
My first post so go easy on me!

Planning to buy our first van and looking at Swift Escape 664 next week.
The reason for selecting this model is that it has 3 of our prime requirements , namely:-

Fixed Bed.
4 berths with 4 travelling seats.
Low profile.

I know opinion about Swifts is variable , some in support , some against but would welcome your thoughts. Swifts are generally very good value it seems.

We are thinking around 2012 vintage and let's say approximately £30k

Could I ask please what alternatives you would recommend we look at?
I can find many alternatives that seem OK but many vans are 4 berths with 2 or 3 travelling seats and this will not work with our 2 grandchildren.

I don't want to bias you in any particular direction but I like the look of Burstner and Chausson but there are many others.

Thank you in advance.

Jake
We love ours

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We had a 664 from new, we had no problems regarding build quality. The 664 had everything we needed. One downside for us was the dinette bed, all the bits and bobs for making up the bed took up storage space and in the end the bed was terribly uncomfy for adults.
If you do decide on a 664 check out the plastic extruded rail on the join between the skirt and the body, ours started fading after 2 years and it took the look off the van.

The 664 comes with a tiny 75ah battery and i would suggest more ah are needed for rallies and wild camping.
In my opinion you won't be far wrong with a 664

If you buy from a dealer have them fit the extras that you need as part of the deal.

Edit, when we traded it the dealer had it on his forecourt with a price of 1 k less than we paid for it 3 years earlier.

Good luck and happy camping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My wife is uneasy about a sideways bed due to the height they are sometimes to get a garage under..

That's an important consideration. We gave up on our camper with an overcab bed because we got fed up with teetering around on the ladder. Some models have sideways beds with adjustable height, but the lowest point might not be low enough. I've learned to place a high value on boot space, and not having the bikes on a rack is a huge plus for me, being as I have to juggle the ruddy things every time we need them :) Each to their own, and good luck with your search.

Upvote 0

Tribute2014

Free Member
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
Hi - not sure if it helps but went out a year ago to replace our older MH with a Swift FB and came back with a Tribute 715 sportline and can’t fault it. My budget for a 2010/11 swift stretched to a 2014 Tribute and the build quality is excellent. I know everyone has their own preference on makes and models but if you do check out the Tributes try and get one with the sports package. Good luck

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Fixed Bed - 4 berths with 4 travelling seats - Low profile. The perfect combination for most couples who enjoy the time they spend alone but sometimes have to look after the grandchildren. This is a good layout for two adults if looking to keep under 3,500KG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back