Could you recommend a good dash cam? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As equipment improves all of the time, what dash cam should I be looking to buy? Allowing that I am not (at this time) driving a Bentley with a Porsche on the driveway.
Having watched Russian drivers, I feel it is time to upgrade my £30 Chinese GW1, which has worked well for the last four years.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
we went for an RAC03 Mirror cam - Broken Link Removed - as we wanted to be easily able to use it on other vehicles if needed.
I've fitted a hard wire kit in the van for it and use the normal 12v adapter and cable when we use it elsewhere.
It's rather good...

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
These work really well , and have gps , etc etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Thanks... I have looked at Hellfords, Which Mag. and Techmoan's site and tried out the range on display at Hellfords and the best picture I have seen so far myself, has been the Nextbase 312 GW.
My present 1GW camera keeps falling off the dash due to a poor bracket fitting, although I cannot fault the picture.
Looking at those recommended here, I cannot use the Mirror camera on my van as I have no central rear view. The 412 looks good but the one in the store did not have such a good picture as the 312. I know nothing of the Argos camera but will follow it up.
Sadly the camera recommended by Techmoan, that seems great but the name Yi Ultradashcam sounds wrong. Crazy I know but it just sounds like a Sunday market jobee, which I know it is not.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Bought mine from Maplins, about £50 or so and has worked okay, you need to buy a 32 whatsit card to fit in though.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
All of Which's best buy dash cams are from Nextbase. The highest scoring one is the 312GW. After a major hint my son and DIL gave me one for Christmas. Last week I fitted it to the motorhome. Not used it in earnest yet but it looks good so far and appears to be very easy to use.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
There have been a lot of unhappy Nextbase owners complaining that the batteries in the cameras fail just after the guarantee expires.
Apparently the batteries get fried by the heat when in full sun and Nextbase don't want to know.
Other cameras don't have batteries but use a capacitor (or something) to store a little juice to allow the camera to shut down where the power is switched off.
I need to replace my ancient BlackVue soon and was thinking about a Nextbase but that has put me off a bit.
Anyone had the same problem?

Richard.

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have just fitted a Nextbase 512GW to the motorhome yesterday.
I bought it for the 1440 resolution and the adjustable polarising filter to to get rid of the dash reflections in the windscreen.
I waited until after Xmas to buy one as I knew there would be a load of unwanted presents coming on eBay so paid under £100 for an new unopened one. (y)
Hardwired it in as well.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Nextbase 412gw is excellent recommend them to my clients at work also
I have a DOD 430w which is same unit different brand name for Nextbase excellent bit of kit

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We bought Transcend. If I was to buy another I would buy one that turns off with the ignition so it doesn't drain the battery, ( or it that something to donwith my 12v always being live?)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We bought Transcend. If I was to buy another I would buy one that turns off with the ignition so it doesn't drain the battery, ( or it that something to donwith my 12v always being live?)
I think the only way you can do this is to use a ciggy lighter socket that comes on and off with the ignition. That is what I have done. Or you could sire it direct to a an ignition wired component.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
I think the only way you can do this is to use a ciggy lighter socket that comes on and off with the ignition. That is what I have done. Or you could sire it direct to a an ignition wired component.
My Nextbase dash cam runs off 5volts, the cig lighter plug reduces voltage from 12/24 to 5volts so it's not
possible to wire direct.

Ray

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
My Nextbase dash cam runs off 5volts, the cig lighter plug reduces voltage from 12/24 to 5volts so it's not
possible to wire direct.

Ray

Yes it is, you can wire it in via a hardwire kit - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._nkw=nextbase+hardwire+kit&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

hardwire.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought 2 of the nextbase hardware kits, one for the car and one for the Motorhome, the nextbase version comes with a piggy back fuse holder which make it easy to connect to a switched feed.
Yes, that is the one I was referring to in my previous post. But I notice that they sell the piggy back fuse ones on Ebay a lot cheaper than the nextbase one.

The advantage with the nextbase camera I have is that the electric feed plugs into the suction base mount, which also holds the GPS antenna and the camera is very easy to slide on and off the base. You can buy a spare suction base mount which makes it very easy to move the camera between the moho and car. Just a case of sliding off the mount in one and sliding on in the other.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have Remis cab blinds fitted to our Peugeot Boxer cab so a suction mount on the windscreen is a pain as you have to remove it each time to shut the blinds so I have used a mount with a 3M adhesive base and stuck it in the recess on the dash between the flip up map rest and the top glove box and then fed the cable through the side of the recess to keep the wiring out of sight.

dashcan-mount.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes, that is the one I was referring to in my previous post. But I notice that they sell the piggy back fuse ones on Ebay a lot cheaper than the nextbase one.

The advantage with the nextbase camera I have is that the electric feed plugs into the suction base mount, which also holds the GPS antenna and the camera is very easy to slide on and off the base. You can buy a spare suction base mount which makes it very easy to move the camera between the moho and car. Just a case of sliding off the mount in one and sliding on in the other.

Yes, I bought Nextbase ones of eBay for £11 each.
It's ok moving from vehicle to vehicle but really you need a second gps unit.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Nextbase have a direct wiring kit that reduces the voltage and enables you to take off from the existing fuse box. Halfords sell them.
Yes your correct, I was only trying to make people aware of the voltage difference.

Ray

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have Remis cab blinds fitted to our Peugeot Boxer cab so a suction mount on the windscreen is a pain as you have to remove it each time to shut the blinds so I have used a mount with a 3M adhesive base and stuck it in the recess on the dash between the flip up map rest and the top glove box and then fed the cable through the side of the recess to keep the wiring out of sight.

View attachment 206229
We too have the same problem and have been looking at dash mounted options. Does mounting it in the way you have done not mean the video is inverted? If there is a way around this could solve our problem (rather than having to do post production authoring on the pc).

Yes your correct, I was only trying to make people aware of the voltage difference.

Ray
Could it be run off a USB socket that should output 5v?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We too have the same problem and have been looking at dash mounted options. Does mounting it in the way you have done not mean the video is inverted? If there is a way around this could solve our problem (rather than having to do post production authoring on the pc).

Could it be run off a USB socket that should output 5v?

We have 3 Nextbase dashcams in various of our vehicles and in each of them there is a rotate a 180 degree option in the menu.

Yes we have run ours via a USB socket but use the 2.1 amp outlet.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have 3 Nextbase dashcams in various of our vehicles and in each of them there is a rotate a 180 degree option in the menu.

Yes we have run ours via a USB socket but use the 2.1 amp outlet.
San shoo!(y)
Will have a look at them.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back