Should fridge work on 12v whilst moving (1 Viewer)

Bubbles

Free Member
Feb 21, 2010
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have an autotrail scout with an electrolux fridge. It works great on gas but sometimes takes a few attempts to work on 230v i.e trips out a few times. It doesn't work on 12v whilst travelling just wondered if this is the norm. Await your comments.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Normally this is the only time 12V operation is used as it drains batteries to quickly.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only works on 12v if the engine is running.

could be the fuse or maybe the relay that has failed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
it depends on the fridge......ours for instance has a fully auto sensed mode where it makes its own mind up which power source to use but it also has a manual setting where we can choose what to run it on including 12v when the engine is not running.....but to answer your question, yes it should run on 12v when the engine is running.

Ours switches to 12v as soon as we start the engine if in auto mode which is not what we always want if we are running the engine to give the batteries a bit of a boost.....

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Should run 12v when the vehicle engione is running, check fuses etc. Don't expect it to be overly efficient, it usually takes a good few hours before it starts cooling effectively. I always boost them on hook-up at home before going away. Get it cooled, so the 12v just keeps it there!

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
Find the connection where the supply is from and check the fuse at that point I have found some so hot they have melted the plastic holder.
A fridge can draw up to 12 amps providing the wire is adequate.
There may be other fuses in the line and at the fridge itself is one of the places they are mounted.

OP
OP
B

Bubbles

Free Member
Feb 21, 2010
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If the fridge is tripping the mains supply as well as not working on 12 volts I think you should seek professional help.

We've just got it back from being serviced and they had no problem getting it to work on 230v. We would normally hook up at home the night before going away, the idea of th ethe 12v was to keep things cool whilst travelling.

Thanks to everyone for replys, i'l get hubby to check all fuses.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We've just got it back from being serviced and they had no problem getting it to work on 230v. We would normally hook up at home the night before going away, the idea of th ethe 12v was to keep things cool whilst travelling.

Thanks to everyone for replys, i'l get hubby to check all fuses.

yep!! thats all its meant to do.
if you have no hookup at home (which you have) you could place a couple of freezer packs in the fridge to get it a bit cooler before you set off.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
fridge problem

we got problem with our fridge never been out in van yet since we got it last november not happy

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
we don't have a hookup at home so we put the gas on for a couple of hours before we set of; acheives the same thing.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Could be a faulty thermostat. We had a fridge that required different settings for 240v, gas and 12V.

I would try setting the thermostat to its coldest setting, and leave a max-min thermometer in the bottom of the fridge and see if it works or works a little !

If there is no change in temp, its back to faulty fuse, 12 volt electrics as suggested before this post.

Rgds

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you can get at the back of the 'fridge----------try to establish if heat is working----caravan 'fridges don't have a compressor--they rely on the heat to circulate the 'gas'---we used to tip them upsidedown to get it going----it's pobably not practical to tip the M/H over !? and quite a lot of work to take the 'fridge out.--maybe a drive with it running on gas will gee it up ???
This would only apply if the 'fridge does not work on any power supply.
Good luck
Nigel & Pamala

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could be a faulty thermostat. We had a fridge that required different settings for 240v, gas and 12V.

I would try setting the thermostat to its coldest setting, and leave a max-min thermometer in the bottom of the fridge and see if it works or works a little !

If there is no change in temp, its back to faulty fuse, 12 volt electrics as suggested before this post.

Rgds

Gas, yes...230v, yes.
but there wont be thermostat on a 'convection' type fridge on 12v ...it never gets cold enough to need one......
only on a compressor type fridge will you find one on 12v:thumb:

plasma

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Should run 12v when the vehicle engione is running, check fuses etc. Don't expect it to be overly efficient, it usually takes a good few hours before it starts cooling effectively. I always boost them on hook-up at home before going away. Get it cooled, so the 12v just keeps it there!

I do the same .

Plasma.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
notice no one actually answered the question in your title
the fridge should work on 12v when the engine is running ; whether or not the vehicle is moving is not relevant

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back