Seatbelts - Legal??? (1 Viewer)

Victoria Sandwich

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Funster No
Hi Everyone

I'm looking at buying my first van and I'm confused with regards to seatbelts. From what I've read so far from threads on this site, it seems there are two issues - 1. whether it's legal, 2. whether it's safe? Let me know if I've got that wrong!

I have been looking at motorhomes/vans for sale and I'm not sure where to look other than in the photos, to check how many passengers can legally/safely be transported. Some advice re where this info might be in an ad would be helpful.

Finally, looking at the photo below. I'm assuming that this vehicle would legally and safely carry 4 passengers. Correct? (It's a Devon Saraha)

media

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Everyone

I'm looking at buying my first van and I'm confused with regards to seatbelts. From what I've read so far from threads on this site, it seems there are two issues - 1. whether it's legal, 2. whether it's safe? Let me know if I've got that wrong!

I have been looking at motorhomes/vans for sale and I'm not sure where to look other than in the photos, to check how many passengers can legally/safely be transported. Some advice re where this info might be in an ad would be helpful.

Finally, looking at the photo below. I'm assuming that this vehicle would legally and safely carry 4 passengers. Correct? (It's a Devon Saraha)

media
Yes .. 3+ driver

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yep perfectly legal to carry 4

Whether safe or not depends if those are factory fitted belts and bolted to chassis etc

A lot of older vans never had rear belts fitted and were perfectly legal as the law states must be worn where fitted

Safety is another concern....id have never carried my kids in the rear of a van without seatbelts fitted ...which meant when I had classic vws etc I had to retrofit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Victoria Sandwich

Victoria Sandwich

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Funster No
That's really helpful - thank you. I'm only going to keep a van for a year max (unfortunately got to go back to work!) and most of the time it will be just me/me plus one. Occasionally i expect to carry 3 passengers. No children

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There are many four berth Moho's out there that have no provision for four occupants. Retro fitting seat belts is fraught with problems too.

OP
OP
Victoria Sandwich

Victoria Sandwich

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Funster No
Retro fitting wouldn't be worth it for me as I will only be keeping the van for a year and I'm on a tight budget. I must admit I'm beginning to feel a bit over-whelmed with so many things I need to consider when buying a van!!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Retro fitting wouldn't be worth it for me as I will only be keeping the van for a year and I'm on a tight budget. I must admit I'm beginning to feel a bit over-whelmed with so many things I need to consider when buying a van!!
If you don't plan to carry kids in the back why worry just buy one with no rear seatbelts

But use the fact it had none to haggle the price down .....win win

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Yes the Devon in the photo has factory fitted seatbelts and the seatboxes are steel, we have the same conversion but it will be for sale in the spring. Our new van conversion has a double belted seat installed but it was not a cheap option for something which will be rarely used but is vital on the occasions it is used.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
If those seatbelts were factory fit they are safe and legal

WE bought a 6 berth motorhome - with 2 seats with seat belts so we cannot carry more than the two of us SAFELY because of the age of our van it would be legal to carry others but NOT SAFE so we do not
We did look at having belts fitted but there was no SAFE way of doing it so we did not

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back