Carver 3600stc and Fanmaster unit question. (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
when we bought or Swift it had just a Carver 3600stc gas heater. Although it kept the van warm in the coldest of winters, we wanted heat in the bathroom and blown air outlets at floor level.
So, I have just fitted a Fanmaster unit and warm Air ducting and everything works fine, we have a warm bathroom and warm feet.
So, the questions. Behind the gas fire was white ceramic fibre insulation, which, I am not keen on having in the van now because of its alleged carcinogenic properties, so I removed it and will be disposing of it.
Now the Fanmaster unit is fitted on the back of the fire, does any part of it need to be lagged / insulated?
I am assuming not as the fan now needs to draw air from behind the fire and any insulation might restrict the airflow.
Has anybody got a similar setup and is there any insulation behind the fire or around the Fanmaster unit?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OEM Fanmaster installations aren't insulated and l can see no value in doing so. I would also be very surprised if carcinogenic material (by which I assume you mean asbestos) is to be found in any vehicle from at least the last 20 years.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks for the info, glad to hear there is no insulation.
I contacted Swift to see what the insulation material behind the fire was and they confirmed it was not asbestos, but it appears to look similar to refractory ceramic fibre, which is still widely available and used for lagging things like kilns and ovens.
I don’t know if this was the original insulation or if it was retro fitted or if it is indeed RCF, but after reading the following, it’s going in the bin.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/200-299/267_3v2.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the info, glad to hear there is no insulation.
I contacted Swift to see what the insulation material behind the fire was and they confirmed it was not asbestos, but it appears to look similar to refractory ceramic fibre, which is still widely available and used for lagging things like kilns and ovens.
I don’t know if this was the original insulation or if it was retro fitted or if it is indeed RCF, but after reading the following, it’s going in the bin.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/200-299/267_3v2.htm
OK - 19 years:).

I'd sling it too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back