refillable bottles lifespan (2 Viewers)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Has anyone exchanged an old bottle with a distributor for a new 1 what i mean is test date of cylinder has expired if so what is the cost compared to just binning and buying new percentage wise as bottle prices and sizes vary.

I know that pressurised containers need visual and hydro's at given times and using something past its service date is down to individuals or insurance if it goes wrong.

Personally i would not use a bottle past it's sell by date im just curious what they cost with exchange

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I believe there is supposed to be an 'industry standard' of ten years before full testing is required. But as to the costs, I can't help. Sorry.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For the benefit of all, I've just fired off an EMail to Gaslow for an authoritative answer. I will advise when and if they respond.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For the benefit of all, I've just fired off an EMail to Gaslow for an authoritative answer. I will advise when and if they respond.
I did that at the end of October and this was their answer:

Thank you for your enquiry Mel, at present we have not put anything in place this will be decided early next year.

All details will be posted on our website.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I believe there is supposed to be an 'industry standard' of ten years before full testing is required. But as to the costs, I can't help. Sorry.
It depends which bottles you bought as to when their test date will be, the early bottles were 15 years so the first lot came out around 2003 so will need testing this year. Our 11kg 'old style' one dated 2009 is due for testing in 2024, and our 'new style' 10 year one in 2026. The only thing I don't know is once the 'old style' one is tested and assume passes whether it will then have another 15 year 'life' or will be reduced to ten ... I suspect the latter.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Thank you for your enquiry Mel, at present we have not put anything in place this will be decided early next year.

Shows how seriously they take re-testing / exchange availability: they've been supplying refillables since 2004.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

My 'nudge' to them might end in a result then.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Shows how seriously they take re-testing / exchange availability: they've been supplying refillables since 2004.
???? Nothing wrong with their reply that I can see ... if the refillables don't need testing until 2019 then there's no point in rushing around to sort it too early in case the testing regs etc change again in the mean time.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My 'nudge' to them might end in a result then.(y)

And, there again?

This is what they replied, today.
"Thank you for your email enquiry Derek, as yet none of our cylinders have reached the 15 year period. We will be posting information on our website in due course."

Nothing like having a plan then, (and this is nothing like that)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
And, there again?

This is what they replied, today.
"Thank you for your email enquiry Derek, as yet none of our cylinders have reached the 15 year period. We will be posting information on our website in due course."

Nothing like having a plan then, (and this is nothing like that)
But as I said if they don't have to do anything until 2019 then they have plenty of time to sort out the details.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I know that Air tanks for Scuba need a regular visible test and a pressure test every ten years so I suspect that will be similar for any compressed gas tank but if you have had an answer from Gaslow wait for their full response we will all be watching

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I know that Air tanks for Scuba need a regular visible test and a pressure test every ten years so I suspect that will be similar for any compressed gas tank but if you have had an answer from Gaslow wait for their full response we will all be watching

Scuba is 2 years visual and 4 years hydro or used to be caba is 5 years i believe

They are high pressure bottles 300bar possibly

So gaslow will only visually check a cylinder and not scrap so possibly exchange an old cylinder and get a reconditioned cylinder back as against returning customer/cylinder/bottle and getting new cylinder in exchange for old cylinder/bottle

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I can't help wondering how this will be affected by the fact that couriers will not carry cylinders that have had gas in them?

Wyn

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
???? Nothing wrong with their reply that I can see ... if the refillables don't need testing until 2019 then there's no point in rushing around to sort it too early in case the testing regs etc change again in the mean time.
You're correct - l was thinking of 10 years. I'm cynical of anything to do with the LPG / Autogas industry though. The so-called standards are set by the industry itself (in the case of Autogas led by the Thirsk lot) and could possibly be seen as self-serving. A bit like Corgi used to be before they were found out.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
You're correct - l was thinking of 10 years. I'm cynical of anything to do with the LPG / Autogas industry though. The so-called standards are set by the industry itself (in the case of Autogas led by the Thirsk lot) and could possibly be seen as self-serving. A bit like Corgi used to be before they were found out.
Have you had your old Alugas bottles tested Tony ?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The thing is that the industry sets its own standards because they have far better knowledge than those outside of the industry.. However, it does have British kite marks on most cylinders and suprised if not any on LPG. They are also subjected to very rigorous testing before release to the public. I know that the ones AP (Air Products) have do but LPG is nowhere near the pressure of other cylinders (oxygen, nitrogen, Argon etc) but they refurbish cylinders on a 10 year cycle but considering the pressure they are subjected to, it's understandable.
Personally I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be 15 years. Also note, that MOST refillable LPG cylinders, once fitted, never move from that holding place whereas other cylinders are subjected to movement by a variety of people including the customer, bay men and drivers.
The nuclear industry polices itself as does the explosive industry so why not the gas industry?
Totally agree with @Minxy Girl, no need to concern yourself as not one Gaslow cylinder is due for testing till at least 2019.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The thing is that the industry sets its own standards because they have far better knowledge than those outside of the industry.. However, it does have British kite marks on most cylinders and suprised if not any on LPG. They are also subjected to very rigorous testing before release to the public. I know that the ones AP (Air Products) have do but LPG is nowhere near the pressure of other cylinders (oxygen, nitrogen, Argon etc) but they refurbish cylinders on a 10 year cycle but considering the pressure they are subjected to, it's understandable.
Personally I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be 15 years. Also note, that MOST refillable LPG cylinders, once fitted, never move from that holding place whereas other cylinders are subjected to movement by a variety of people including the customer, bay men and drivers.
The nuclear industry polices itself as does the explosive industry so why not the gas industry?
Totally agree with @Minxy Girl, no need to concern yourself as not one Gaslow cylinder is due for testing till at least 2019.
I don't disagree with @Minxy Girl. I was simply saying that l take a cynical view of potentially self-serving industry regulation. You'll find a big difference in Government oversight if you research the industries you mention vs the LPG / Autogas industry. And whilst l agree that the industry is in the best position to prepare appropriate regulations it should be an independant oversight body that ratifies them and if needed prepares legislation based upon their content.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Have you had your old Alugas bottles tested Tony ?
No and l have no intention of doing so. I have examined them for external damage (impact and corrosion) and checked that the connections are undamaged. I'll also check the cut-off valves at first fill. That'll do me. Mind you I've never had any sort of gas test done either - my windscreen washer tube manometer works just fine.:)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Cynically I feel that the vast majority of people will take the view that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless they can actually smell gas.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I don't disagree with @Minxy Girl. I was simply saying that l take a cynical view of potentially self-serving industry regulation. You'll find a big difference in Government oversight if you research the industries you mention vs the LPG / Autogas industry. And whilst l agree that the industry is in the best position to prepare appropriate regulations it should be an independant oversight body that ratifies them and if needed prepares legislation based upon their content.
And who could be independent overseers? Ex class 2 officers (class 2 as in dangerous goods)?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I was thinking more of a legislative body. The Government for instance.
What a brilliant idea. Like all the Ministers have vast amounts of experience in that field? Health minister qualifications? Education Minister qualifications? Surely its far better to have EXPERIENCED people to oversee regulations.
Whilst thinking of that, what problems are you aware of in the packaged gas industry (cylinders are classed as packaged gas). I am aware of an extremely serious and life threatening situation that was prevented by the regulators you suggest inadequate.
Incidentally, there are many legislations over all classes (1 to 9) and there are many rules, laws that have been applied by the European Parliament to regulate ALL European countries.
I've never heard that the Government is independent, far from it

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What a brilliant idea. Like all the Ministers have vast amounts of experience in that field? Health minister qualifications? Education Minister qualifications? Surely its far better to have EXPERIENCED people to oversee regulations.
Whilst thinking of that, what problems are you aware of in the packaged gas industry (cylinders are classed as packaged gas). I am aware of an extremely serious and life threatening situation that was prevented by the regulators you suggest inadequate
Ok I'm going to give in on this. I cannot imagine a scenario where a group of industries would frame regulations that would favour their businesses financially. It just couldn't happen because they wouldn't have time after protecting us from ourselves.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ok I'm going to give in on this. I cannot imagine a scenario where a group of industries would frame regulations that would favour their businesses financially. It just couldn't happen because they wouldn't have time after protecting us from ourselves.
What evidence do you have that the group of industries are favouring their businesses financially. You said about having a legislative body and there is one. The regulations in the Dangerous Goods field is extremely rigid.
Drivers and people involved in the DG business have to have ADR certification and that is renewable every 5 years irrespective of age.
Please, before sounding off about lack of rules, laws and regulations, Google dangerous goods.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Out of interest, what are the rules regarding testing/checking LPG systems in cars?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back