Caen Ferry Port (1 Viewer)

Hawcara

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
Exp
6 weeks of hol use
Brittany Ferries, in their infinite wisdom have cancelled crossings to Cherbourg if you have a caravan. As we now intend to go to Caen, can anyone advise as to the safety etc of staying overnight on the port as the ferry does not dock until 10pm?
Intend to change caravan for a lugger next year.
Thank you:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I've never stayed there myself and as with any wild/aire type camping its got to be your choice if you feel safe then OK if you have any apprehension then don't.

There are normally a lot of motorhomes parked in and around the port area or certainly used to be 2 years ago and there was a purpose made Aire if you sort of turn right as soon as you can on exiting the ferry, from memory you had to double back slightly along what would be the start of the coast road,

Depending on what you found on leaving the ferry I would say its a reasonably safe area and if it hasn't changed in the last 2 years and I was needing to stop for a few hours sleep i would probably take a chance.

I know they say that you shouldn't use an Aire with a Caravan, but it is France and generally they are not so Jobs Worth as the British.

Wish you well and have a great holiday, someone may have some more positive info

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know they say that you shouldn't use an Aire with a Caravan, but it is France and generally they are not so Jobs Worth as the British.

i always thought caravans were strictly forbidden on french aires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Over the last few years I have seen quiet a number of caravans using them, not sure of the legal standing, but as I said the French never seem to me to be overly concerned with sticking to rules, which I may add I find a very good thing in general, we do seem to be a bit more jobs worth than we really need to be sometimes especially with regard to implementing regulations.

I would think if he doesn't block space for 2 and access to the facilities is not compromised, i wouldn't think there would be two many people complaining, but you never know ?

i always thought caravans were strictly forbidden on french aires.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Last year I stayed overnight on the car park at Caen close to the terminal building. If you use that car park you might have to unhitch because you have to park lengthways.

We were the only one's there but felt safe.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have an RV, and have stayed on the car parks outside the ferry terminal on numerous occasions, as we travel from Parc Verger to Ouistreham during the day, and catch the 9am ferry the next morning. We have never had a problem, and would not hesitate to do the same thing again. We went to have a look at the aire on one occasion: there were caravans and motorhomes on there, and it was jam-packed, so depending on when you are travelling you may have a problem there.

Have a good holiday.

Bob and Di

Col447

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Waiting for delivery !!!!
Exp
3rd M/H
There is a large caravan site (see link below) just on the way out of Ouistrem at the first roundabout on the D84 at the start of Route de Caen. I am sure that they would be open for the late sailing. Just look on Google earth and you will see it south of the port on the west side of the river bank.:Cool:
Colin

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Ouistreham

I think this is the site
Colin

Last edited:

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
We have stayed on the port at Caen several times theres always plenty of motorhomes and caravans there. On our return journey the port staff even give you a knock in the morning

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We used the aire just outside the port 2 years ago. It is a bit tight if your van is over 8 mtrs long. It was busy. and that was in october.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back