Fire Angel CO2 Detector question (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I Have the above in my MOHO and wonder if it really works?

It has a digital display that shows PPM (Parts per million) on current CO2 levels but it always shows zero. Even when cooking with gas. Heating. Holding a lighter up to it. I have even smoked a big ass Cuban cigar in there and it did not go off (did not check display for that)

So I wonder is my van just perfect or is it a little insensitive? What would be a normal level expected when using gas etc? Should it be zero still?

I have hit the test button and it beeps and seems ok and the little green LED flashes as it should while sat there. Just not sure if I can really trust it yet?

On a separate note I removed the regular smoke detector because that went off all the time just for fun. Need to replace that with one that does not cry wolf randomly and scare the shit out of the 3 year old.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I assume it is a CO 9D, I have one in my van and 2 in the house, you are supposed to press the button once a month and it give you the highest reading since the last time you checked. In the van ours usally reads 17 or 18 ppm, house ones always read zero, to be expected as fire & boiler are both balanced flue.
That unit is suppossed to be one of the better ones there was a safety test on a whole range of them a year or so ago the CO 9D came out top or near the top and a lot of other brands didn't even meet the basic standard.

For a smoke detector I use a Fire Angel Atom, a neat small optical sensor with a reduce sensitivity button, had them in the last 2 vans only ever gone off once. Also have them in the house.

Mine are both fitted in the bedroom area.

Atom
upload_2018-1-7_11-4-52.png

CO 9D
upload_2018-1-7_11-5-35.png

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Caravan / mh boilers and fires are all either balanced flue or room-sealed. The only sources of CO (which l assume the detector is looking for) are the hob and the oven. The fridge is a possibility if it's not room sealed. Even the hob, oven, or fridge, would have to be burning with yellow flames before emitting any significant amount of CO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have the same one and it very rarely shows anything but zero, which I find reassuring.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
At least I can now see why you thought it was a CO2 monitor not CO, the print is all fuzzy :LOL::LOL:

as suggested above check for max readings, our MH always reads zero when looked at but has read up to 20 on max stored values, although ours went off due to exhaust fumes getting in while away in Norway :( with a reading of 70, that's now been fixed

we don't have that model, ours are the Kidde version, it alarms at 30ppm, but that is still a perfectly safe level for short periods of time

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
When we purchased our MH we fitted a new CO detector and it showed zero for months, then started indicating higher and higher readings until the alarm sounded, for no obvious reason. This would happen wether we were using gas or not.

We only found out the answer when the fan in the power control system started running. The control panel was also indicating a very high charge current for the batteries so we checked the leisure battery - very, very hot!

We disconnected the battery immediately and once it was replaced the CO meter returned to zero reading.

Our conclusion was that the failing battery was creating the CO. We also found that the battery did not have a vent pipe connected. We were glad to have the warning as the battery is below the seat/bed and without the alarm, had this happened in the middle of the night there may have been more serious consequences!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our conclusion was that the failing battery was creating the CO. We also found that the battery did not have a vent pipe connected. We were glad to have the warning as the battery is below the seat/bed and without the alarm, had this happened in the middle of the night there may have been more serious consequences!
A battery can not produce CO it will have been giving off hydrogen sulfide, CO detectors will detect other gas not just CO.

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Thanks Lenny,
I did not know that they detect other gasses. This is probably an RTFM moment :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back