rant over now breathe gently in out in out::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its not the water barrels that are anti-social....its the bloody idiot owners who are anti-social. :Angry:

who, in their right mind, gets up at 6.30am when they're on holiday.:Doh:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
those who have those great big hykie roof lights without a blackout blind over them
suns up its time to get up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
stopped on the ccc kingsbury water park near birmingam
thought thats lucky parking next to the fresh and waste water point:thumb:
now this is the bit those antisocial water barrels and grey tanks are so blooming noisey:Angry:
the tuggers start filling at 06.30 am :Blush:
giving up at 10.30 pm all day they keep it up :Eeek:
so what i am saying is given a choice avoid the water tap at all costs:thumb:
rant over now breathe gently in out in out::bigsmile:
They can’t get near the tap 9am-5pm for those monster motor homes taking enough water to irrigate the Sahara. That’s why they have to set their alarm. You think you have a gripe. Look on it as an opportunity to meet people, you don’t even have to keep an eye out as you can hear them coming. :welcome:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The best bit is when they arrive and set up their awnings, Iv'e seen em take a whole morning figuring out all those tubes ::bigsmile: and most can't reverse a van and have to use those remote electric things :Eeek:

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
When I am away the antics of tuggers are one of my greatest sources of free entertainment. Wouldn't be without 'em :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yeah but the last laugh is often with them, as they hook up and drive away in their 4x4 leaving you front wheel drivers spinning onthe grass:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
When I am away the antics of tuggers are one of my greatest sources of free entertainment. Wouldn't be without 'em :Smile:

I do so agree. I think the best part is when they arrive with a new awning, never been out of the box, you can be sure of a good few hours entrainment.

Think the best I saw couple arrived took ages setting up awning table lamps, rugs, easy chairs, tables etc. She had him running about about all day cleaning van, car and I think about every blade of grass on the pitch.

Visitors arrived about 7.30 stayed about 1.30 then went, next day they packed up and were gone by 12.00 boy what a wonderful relaxing weekend.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
So agree with the posts, spend most of the time chasing my tail at work, M.H is time to relax and do what I want to do.
Unfortunately some seem unable to relax and are compelled to fetch and carry, clean, polish etc.
Only once seen a tugger taking on water and disposing of waste at a water/waste point.
I may be wrong but I assumed the majority of modern caravans had inbuilt water and waste tanks.
Obviously the tablets are working, no ranting. :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
My favourite gripe about tuggers is when they take up 2 pitches when setting up, one pitch has the caravan on it, the second pitch has their car (4 x 4) on it.

When you are trying to locate a pitch, you don't know if the one with the car on is taken or not.

Spent nearly half an hour driving round Sheepcote Valley CC site looking for a pitch only too discover that 3 pitcheds had tuggers cars on them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So agree with the posts, spend most of the time chasing my tail at work, M.H is time to relax and do what I want to do.
Unfortunately some seem unable to relax and are compelled to fetch and carry, clean, polish etc.
Only once seen a tugger taking on water and disposing of waste at a water/waste point.
I may be wrong but I assumed the majority of modern caravans had inbuilt water and waste tanks.

not many, if any, with built-in tanks.

i fitted one in my last caravan for the very reason of constantly filling a 40ltr aqua-roll but you need to travel 'empty'....80ltrs of water is 80kg of payload, and another 70 or 80ltr of waste is another 70 or 80ltrs and thats the main reason for no tanks.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

A lot of new vans will have a 40ltr fresh water holding tank ( equivelent to a full aquaroll) but they still have no waste tank, and due to the unstable nature of the van they are advised not to travel with water in the tank.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Terrible this really, but I have to admit that me and the missus do get great enjoyment from the tuggers and their antics, obviously a motorhome thing:Blush:

I think (we know actually) it's one of our various reasons for motorhomes, the turn up and, errr, that's it, feet up, can open and chill out:thumb: At the end of the day each to their own but some seem to spend half a day setting up, a day 'relaxing' (including the obligatory 3 hours giving up on the sat dish) and another half a day packing up. I know there is alot to be said for playing with your toys but even we have limits. That said if they didn't spend so long faffing about we'd loose our guilty pleasure:ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You must really love it if on a site where someone is setting one of those massive tents and relevant equipment up then especially if they have a camping kitchen tent as well. :Blush:

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Use to own a Adria caravan before converting from the darkside that had a built in fresh water tank but no waste our Euromobile came with a tow bar fitted so I suppose we could play them at the game and tow a small traveller type van and put it on the pitch next to us while we set up.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You must really love it if on a site where someone is setting one of those massive tents and relevant equipment up then especially if they have a camping kitchen tent as well. :Blush:

Even better if its chucking it down with rain and blowing a gale :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The joys of owning a m/h....handbrake on, kettle on...sorted :thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
those antisocial water barrels and grey tanks are so blooming noisey:Angry:

I find an empty 39 ltr Waste-master the most noisiest, nearly as bad as the continual noise from a Caravan Club sites daily use of the sit and ride mower. :Angry:

I'm sure they just love using them, surely 1/2" high grass doesn't need trimming down to 1/4"?? :ROFLMAO:

Mick

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Why do lots of Mh owners look down on caravan owners and like to poke fun ??
I would have another caravan if ever i got fed up of motorhoming.
Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.
In most cases the "we are considerably richer/better than thow" attitude that motor home owners have towards caravaner's is so wrong.
Most motorhome owners are older, retired.
Some retired with a nice lump sum to buy one , though lots didnt and are financed to the hilt.

You get much more of a mixed age group with caravans. Before anyone says it , they are not all rowdy chav families in ancient caravans. Just as Mh owners arnt all grey and boring dressed in beige !!
A car and caravan would cost more than most of the clapped out MH's you see on the road. A good 4x4 and new car considerably more than most of the new ones too.
Caravans are also very well equipped inside. Lots of the new MH on sale are like the very cheap budget entry caravans too. We were very surprised when we started to look at motorhomes. Couldn't believe the poor build quality of the habitation space , shallow fridges,with tiny freezer inside , the lack of an oven , no seporate shower cubicle and lack of over all interior space. We almost gave up looking.
I almost got my way of having a 5th wheeler infact !!

As for awnings , they are notoriously difficult to put up , unless you mark the poles as you would a tent , or have put it up so many times you could do it with your eyes closed. The newer nylon light weight ones are a lot easier , and a lot better for weekend use.
We had a fiamma zip store , on our caravan , but even that needed 2 people to unroll it by hand , at either end, as it wasn't a wind out like the one we have on the MH.
As for the water barrels , yes they are a pain but something you have to do . Unless you get a service pitch . Besides that was the kids job on our trips. We had 2 aqua rolls , one being used and a spare next to it incase it ran out . Some do have on board tanks ours did but they are only small. Our MH water tank is as big as 3 1/2 aqua rolls much better for a family.

We have pulled many a MH of grass with my Nissan terrano car .
Though enjoyed watching some struggle too . In particular a very up there own ar*e elderly couple who dug there self deeper and deeper in the grass.
Why ? Because on each occasion we smiled or said hello (over a 3 day stay ) they looked down there noses at us. I wouldn't mind , they were in a right old shed of a thing too. It got embarrassing watching them , after an hour . :ROFLMAO:
We were the only 2 units on a small cl at Spurn Point , and the owners were out.
They never asked for help either, wouldn't even make eye contact , so we went out in the car and left em to it. The farmer down the road got them out with the tractor in the end !

When we were away last weekend we had to be towed off grass by a freindly "Tugger"
Fortunately we had the proper towing stuff, just incase.:winky: He came and asked if we needed help too , though we would have asked.
1st time we've been stuck, but I'm sure not the last.

I'm sure we will have this , our 1st MH , till we don't need a 7 birth anymore too.
As being " x tuggers " we knew what layout would suit us best.
What fixtures and fittings we needed etc.
I'm certain we will get another , smaller MH once the kids don't want to come with us, leave home etc.
But if for any reason we didn't get another MH , I'd have no qualms about getting a new caravan.:thumb:
Bev

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
a frame a 4x4 , sorted

see we tow our a-framed rav4 behind motorhome
get more mpg towing it than driving it (28-30mpg) , nice roomy vehicle to use while away and can pull ourselves out if stuck
sorted , have your cake and eat it
:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
it wasnt caravaners or the owners that niggled me
just the thoughtless action

the rolling of barrels down a tarmac road covered in shingle
my goodness they rumble
anouncing the arrival at the tap

removing the tow bar thingy drop that to the floor
then thump as the barrel is picked up and placed on the ground
to be filled then the whole process is repeated
as they trundel barrel behind

why i even considered a caravan myself just didnt fancy towing one
the trip we took at the weekend i wouldnt have done with a caravan
for just two nights

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Good to see the old British Class system alive and well.

Personally I dont care if your camping next to me in a cardboard box, your welcome. Ill share a beer with you.

I spent many years tenting and wilding in VW's where nobody really can categorise you and yes some do look down on you :RollEyes:

To me Tent, Tugger, £100K MH. We are all campers.

I dont do campsites but CL's and wilding and I have to admit it is funny watching some people mess around for hours. Me? Ive perfected the art of being lazy in the van. 25 seconds from stop to being in the back watching telly or playing the guitar with a beer.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
on the last two sites I have been on this year I have seen two motorhomers using water barrels both with newish motorhomes, what is going on?

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
We use an Aqua roll and a submersible pump to fill the van if on a site for more than a couple of days, or if we arrive late and/or I am too tired after a long drive to try to fill up in the dark or if the tap is in an awkward place. I am not one of the motorhomers that spend hours trudging back and forth with a watering can to fill my tank as soom say they do :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We have been known to use a Waste Master too on occasion :Eeek: and a few other motorhomers have borrowed them too, rather than moving their vans once set up at a rally or 2 :whatthe:

Besides Glenn would get bored if he didn't have his own jobs to do when we are out and about in the van :thumb:

Tina

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
on the last two sites I have been on this year I have seen two motorhomers using water barrels both with newish motorhomes, what is going on?

I converted my van to use an aquaroll too, no more messing about with hose pipes and having to drive around the site to fill the water, or breaking your back trying to fill the onboard tank with a small container.

I still have the onboard tank for nights off a site, but the aquaroll makes life much much easier on site, the most useful mod I've done.

and what about when they have their lovely car to drive around in whilst on holiday and you're stuck in your van wishing you could do the same, pros and cons to both of course.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
The best bit is when they arrive and set up their awnings, Iv'e seen em take a whole morning figuring out all those tubes ::bigsmile: and most can't reverse a van and have to use those remote electric things :Eeek:

Yer i do:winky::winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We use an Aqua roll and a submersible pump to fill the van if on a site for more than a couple of days, or if we arrive late and/or I am too tired after a long drive to try to fill up in the dark or if the tap is in an awkward place. I am not one of the motorhomers that spend hours trudging back and forth with a watering can to fill my tank as soom say they do :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We have been known to use a Waste Master too on occasion :Eeek: and a few other motorhomers have borrowed them too, rather than moving their vans once set up at a rally or 2 :whatthe:

Besides Glenn would get bored if he didn't have his own jobs to do when we are out and about in the van :thumb:

Tina

SNAP.:thumb:
Its very easy to use a full tank of water when you have 3 kids with you.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The tuggers had the last laugh on a CL in Cornwall in Jan this year. All the taps had frozen bar one on the back of the owners house which was miles away. We couldnt get the van near either (well we couldnt get the van anywhere as it was stuck in the snow).

I had to trudge 4 trips with a very heavy 25 litre plastic jerry can while the tuggers pulled their rolly things with ease through the snow. Actually come to think of it they could have offered to lend me one!

I know they had trouble with their waste though as they kept trying to lag pipes and the waste thingies as they kept freezing.

It was a good atmosphere though on the CL as it was kind of a blitz spirit all in the same boat kind of thing. got to -12 one night and we eventually had to be towed off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back