Jun 9, 2009
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since April 2009.
Hi All :Sad:

This thread must of been covered before, but I have just had four new Avon tyres fitted on the motorhome. (Autotrail Apache 700SE on a Fiat base) The guy at the garage said that he has put 40psi in the front and 55psi in the back. This goes against the sticker on the inside of the door frame. Can somebody please tell me what the correct tyre pressures should be !! This seems to be a bit of a minefield.

Kind Regards

Green Machine

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If the tyres are to standard spec for the vehicle...I'd stick to
the pressures on the label on the vehicle.

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
If the plate on the door panel is Fiats, that will cover that chassis as an original unit, they have no idea which manufacturer,or type of body, it will end up as. There is only one way to determine the correct tyre pressures. 1 -Load the vehicle with your normal gear. 2- go to a weighbridge and get the axle weights. 3- ring the tyre manufacturer, ask for technical, give them the tyre sizes and the axle weights. They will give you the correct pressures. VMax

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
tyre pressures

hi there green machine,what size tyres are they?i think on an apache they are 215/75/16.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have a look at this download.

Link Removed

the sticker in the door hole probably says 5.5 bar/80psi....far too high and thats the tyres absolute max pressure.:Eeek:

you will need to know your axle weights or just what it says on the VIN plate under the bonnet and reduce pressure to suit the ride.

scroll to one of the bottom two charts depending on whether proper camping tyres or commercial tyres are fitted.

find your tyre size and reference across to the axle weight for front and rear.

my 3850kg kontiki is 65 rear and 59 front on 215/70/15 tyres

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

green machine

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since April 2009.
Tyre Pressure Chart.

have a look at this download.

Link Removed

the sticker in the door hole probably says 5.5 bar/80psi....far too high and thats the tyres absolute max pressure.:Eeek:

you will need to know your axle weights or just what it says on the VIN plate under the bonnet and reduce pressure to suit the ride.

scroll to one of the bottom two charts depending on whether proper camping tyres or commercial tyres are fitted.

find your tyre size and reference across to the axle weight for front and rear.

my 3850kg kontiki is 65 rear and 59 front on 215/70/15 tyres

Hi Pappajohn

I am not able to open the chart. Is anybody else having problems with it.

Thanks

Green Machine

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Green Machine,

No it doesn't work, but you can find it in Downloads under useful tools on this site:thumb:

Wall-E

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
Funster No
Tyre pressures?

Hi green machine,
Now this will I am sure cause some controversy, I have been told in the past that the label on the door pillar doesn't refer to Tyre pressures at all, but confirms what the braking system has been tested to, eg 80psi. If it referred to tyre pressures, surely there would be two sets of figures?, Front wheels, Rear wheels?. Also unless you have Metal tyre valves fitted inflating the tyres to 80psi you would run the serious risk of blowing rubber valves out of the rim!!.
The only way to confirm what pressure to inflate your Motor Homes tyres too, is to load it up with everything you normally carry, take it to a weighbridge and Weigh it, Gross weight, front axle, rear axle. Then ring your tyre manufacturers Technical department and ask them for the recommended tyre pressures you can safely run at, based on YOUR loadings. Any other way is pure guess work.
Cheers Wall-E.
PS, are your Avon tyres of the correct ply rating?.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
tyre pressures

hi there green machine.ok that being the case i would set them at 65psi front and rear:thumb:
the tyre pressures that the man in the garage has suggested are way to low,and at 40psi after a period of time would seriously damage the sructure of the tyre.the avon tyres that have been fitted should be 8ply which im sure they are.on the autotrail cheiftain that we used to have the pressures were set at 75psi but that was a larger motorhome.it was same size tyre in michelin camping.in my experiance with a motorhome the tyre pressures are down to the drivers common sense and what he or she thinks the motorhome feels happy at.the documented tyre pressures for motorhomes can sometimes make the vechicle feel unstable.so being one of the old school i feel that a lot of this subject is down to common sense and regular checking. regards brian jo & josh

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Are the new tyres capable of operating at the pressures shown on inside of the door frame?, what type and specification tyres were orginally fitted to your motorhome, if the orginal specification was for camping variant tyres then it is quiet possible that if you have changed to a standard van tyre then they may not be suitabale for running at the manufacturers recommended pressure.

Hi All :Sad:

This thread must of been covered before, but I have just had four new Avon tyres fitted on the motorhome. (Autotrail Apache 700SE on a Fiat base) The guy at the garage said that he has put 40psi in the front and 55psi in the back. This goes against the sticker on the inside of the door frame. Can somebody please tell me what the correct tyre pressures should be !! This seems to be a bit of a minefield.

Kind Regards

Green Machine

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
weigh your axles at the max load you run at

got to the toyo website

look on the tyre to find the load index which will look something like 109/107 [ a tyre carries more single than it does twin for obvious reasons ]

find the commercial chart that shows you what weight a given load index tyre will carry at a given pressure

set to the pressure for YOUR load

unfortunately the loads are given in lbs so you will have to convert if you weighed in Kg

the figures given are the official ETRTO ones

easy , ain't it :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back