Hymer with a leaky roof. (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2018
Funster No
Hi, I've just joined motorhome fun and apologize if I don't get the etiquette right! All things online leave my cold to be honest. We have a Hymer and it is leaking very slightly into the living area just behind the cab. Having trawled the internet the most common advice is to paint it with special paint. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome
I would think you need to find the point of the water ingress and seal it from outside first using something like Sikaflex

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Think I’d get on the roof and find the leak and then apply proper sealant, not sure about “special paint” what’s on the roof? Not really a big job to have rooflights etc resealed, but I’d defo find out where the leak is. Hope this doesn’t leave you too cold btw!:)(y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Oh and welcome to the forum, enjoy your travels and travails:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You need to order some of the seal that goes along the front and back of the roof, from a hymer dealer or Bad Walsee. Also order some of the sealant required.
You need to take the old sealing strip off, scrape out all the old sealant which is the longest job.
Then fit the new seal with the sealant, carefully cutting the sealing strip at the edges. You can use the old strip that you have taken out to cut the new one, matching the exact cut at the edges.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You need to order some of the seal that goes along the front and back of the roof, from a hymer dealer or Bad Walsee. Also order some of the sealant required.
You need to take the old sealing strip off, scrape out all the old sealant which is the longest job.
Then fit the new seal with the sealant, carefully cutting the sealing strip at the edges. You can use the old strip that you have taken out to cut the new one, matching the exact cut at the edges.
Hi @CazPaul when you say sealing strip do you just mean a tape, I used eternabond white tape on ours, except that I did it when we bought it as a preventative measure so no leak, I used a 2" tape and the original had been 3" so I put two strips on and overlapped in the middle.

It's is very sticky.

Martin

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think from the OPs profile ,she probably will not be climbing on the roof to do it herself unless she is a keen Diy’er and possibly best advice would be to get an expert to look into it for her.
I could be wrong of course(y)(y)(y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi @CazPaul when you say sealing strip do you just mean a tape, I used eternabond white tape on ours, except that I did it when we bought it as a preventative measure so no leak, I used a 2" tape and the original had been 3" so I put two strips on and overlapped in the middle.

It's is very sticky.

Martin

No,not tape Martin, Hymer use a plastic solid sealing strip that's sits in the channel. this needs to be removed, the channel cleaned thoroughly and a new strip applied.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi, I've just joined motorhome fun and apologize if I don't get the etiquette right! All things online leave my cold to be honest. We have a Hymer and it is leaking very slightly into the living area just behind the cab. Having trawled the internet the most common advice is to paint it with special paint. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Linda ask advise on
Hymer Owners Group
On Facebook stating your Hymer and age there will be someone able to advise you

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi @Linda farley welcome to the forum.
Can you tell us what model and age of Hymer you have and someone may be able to advise you. I had a similar last year and it was straight forward to repair.

By the way, Hymers don`t leak, they just have un-scheduled water ingress.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
@Lenny HB The unmentionable has happened a Hymer with a leaking roof. Lady needs advice.
Welcome aboard Linda Farley:WelcomeFlag:

OP
OP
L
Jan 6, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone, plenty of food for thought. My husband took the big roof light out and re-sealed it with sikaflex and it worked a treat. This is more difficult to pin down though because nothing looks wrong and there is just the odd drip of water.(Not condensation though). By the way I definitely have no plans to get on the roof myself! Strictly a blue job I'm afraid.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks everyone, plenty of food for thought. My husband took the big roof light out and re-sealed it with sikaflex and it worked a treat. This is more difficult to pin down though because nothing looks wrong and there is just the odd drip of water.(Not condensation though). By the way I definitely have no plans to get on the roof myself! Strictly a blue job I'm afraid.

Sikaflex is the wrong stuff for re-fitting roof lights Linda, you need to use a flexible sealant, like Hodgsons seamseal CV or the sealing tape method. It will be a devil to ever get the roof light out in future if required.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:

@Lenny HB The unmentionable has happened a Hymer with a leaking roof. Lady needs advice.
Welcome aboard Linda Farley:WelcomeFlag:
Sorry to say not much help on older Hymers I'm more up to date on recent models. I've only had new ones with out too many problems.

Are you saying it is still leaking after refitting the rooflight?
One thing there is no timber inthewall/roof contruction and Hymer use closed cell foam so any water getting into the bodywork shouldn't do any damage.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's a round headlight Hymer it will be the seal between the front cap and roof. Easily sealed but needs someone who knows Hymers.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:pink:

Sorry to say not much help on older Hymers I'm more up to date on recent models. I've only had new ones with out too many problems.

I bow to your knowledge Lenny, but how have you worked out the MH age from the post

My Hymer had a leak through the main skylight over the table, it had a Terry fix and hasn't dared leak since, :) but it was quite a big job, full frame removal and reseal

I don't know what sealant was used but would think Sikaflex, by its name alone would be suitable, seals and flexes :)(y):rolleyes:, but it only needs a small gap to suck the water through, our roof holds nearly half an inch of water all round that central skylight

I did once start a thread about 'being too level' E + P have a lot to answer to, water ran off before we had them fitted :LOL:

edit - we have an A class, not even sure what model or age the OP has

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We had a roof leak in our last van , it turned out it was from the sat dome . I would never have guessed and thought it was leaking from the over cab as the water was coming in from there. In fact it was travelling from the sat dome there was no indication of damp in the ceiling .
What's needed is a thorough search and investigation.
Good luck , and welcome aboard.

OP
OP
L
Jan 6, 2018
Funster No
This is a new leak. We're pretty sure that it is the seal just behind the cab.The sealant under it looks a bit rough around the edges. Its an 05 van so not round headlights. Its a very small leak that only occurs when the wind is in the wrong direction. In fact if we had got the cover on before the heavy winds started we wouldnt have known about it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
These Hymers seem to leak more than Downing Streeet.

NC

Free Member
Nov 6, 2022
Andover, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer 588 exsis-t 16
Exp
Since 2018
I have a similar problem with My 2016 Hymer . I think I need to replace the rubber seal. Where can I get some?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have a similar problem with My 2016 Hymer . I think I need to replace the rubber seal. Where can I get some?
Brownhills do most Hymer seals, but you may not have to go that far, Silkaflex may be the solution.
Good FB group HOGS, Hymer Owner Group on line will have the answers

NC

Free Member
Nov 6, 2022
Andover, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer 588 exsis-t 16
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks so much. It is leaking as the seal follows the contour or the roof at the back and silkaflex didn’t do the job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back