Crafter camper (1 Viewer)

JungleJim

Free Member
Jan 5, 2018
Funster No
Hello everyone...

I have bought a VW Crafter and am now planning my build. I am in a slightly unusual position as I need to be able to use the Crafter as both a van and campervan.

My solution is a RIB bed behind the swivel front seats and a widthway bed at the back with storage below. For the kitchen I'm planning a self contained unit which I can lift in when required.

I have most of the details clear in my mind but I'm stuck for ideas with the rear bed. I need to plan this before the van is lined in case I need to weld supports to the sides.. . Has anyone come up with a solution that fixes the bed platform to the side of the van and can be removed when required?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions, Jim

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Can't help with suggestions but
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Afraid I'm not much help as my only experience of self conversion was a beetle van back in the 70s. Best of luck with it, there are experts on here who can help.
:welcomesign:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
IMG_0799.JPG(1).JPG
:hi2:w2fHave a good think about windows, I had the genuine Mercedes opening bonded windows fitted & I think they look really slick.

Please keep us posted of the progress on your Crafter?

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim and welcome.... do you need to remove the rear bed or simply fold it up out of the way....either way insulate and board the van , then you can easy fix your bed etc in position to the boarding
Terry

OP
OP
J

JungleJim

Free Member
Jan 5, 2018
Funster No
Hi Jim and welcome.... do you need to remove the rear bed or simply fold it up out of the way....either way insulate and board the van , then you can easy fix your bed etc in position to the boarding
Terry

Thanks for the welcomes.
Thanks Terry. I'd like to be able to completely remove the bed (+ under bed space with drawers etc) by sliding it out of the back and into the garage. One concern is securing the whole thing in case of an accident. I could secure the base to the load lashing points. If I made a metal frame I suppose bolts to the floor might be enough of an anchor... i was thinking bolts at the top to the sides of the van would be even better. I'm not sure that screws into ply would be enough - or maybe this needn't be a concern anyway

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi there are lots of ways to fasten everything in,mostly people screw to the side and floor but you can use clips to make it easy to take things out
Terry

OP
OP
J

JungleJim

Free Member
Jan 5, 2018
Funster No
View attachment 205386 :hi2:w2fHave a good think about windows, I had the genuine Mercedes opening bonded windows fitted & I think they look really slick.

Please keep us posted of the progress on your Crafter?

Nice windows. Worth spending the extra. How do you get on with parking? If you drive straight into a spot (rather than parrallel park) does the back end stick out miles?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
If you drive straight into a spot (rather than parrallel park) does the back end stick out miles?

Yes the length of the van means that parking usually entails using up two spaces. I've installed a reversing camera for added safety, so parallel parking is easy as possible.

Markncharlotte

Free Member
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Vw Crafter conversion
Thanks for the welcomes.
Thanks Terry. I'd like to be able to completely remove the bed (+ under bed space with drawers etc) by sliding it out of the back and into the garage. One concern is securing the whole thing in case of an accident. I could secure the base to the load lashing points. If I made a metal frame I suppose bolts to the floor might be enough of an anchor... i was thinking bolts at the top to the sides of the van would be even better. I'm not sure that screws into ply would be enough - or maybe this needn't be a concern anyway

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi there are lots of ways to fasten everything in,mostly people screw to the side and floor but you can use clips to make it easy to take things out
Terry
Would tracking as used by manufacturers who offer seating options, or similar used for coach seating, or even Unistrut, do the job? Full lengths would mean multiple smaller fixes (for the tracking).

OP
OP
J

JungleJim

Free Member
Jan 5, 2018
Funster No
Would tracking as used by manufacturers who offer seating options, or similar used for coach seating, or even Unistrut, do the job? Full lengths would mean multiple smaller fixes (for the tracking).

Thanks. That's a great idea - I will investigate. Makes sense...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
ultra loc needs sinking into the floor so not really a option unless already fitted

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
When I did a self build I used a domestic slated bed frame cut down to fit and supported it on cupboards either side

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back