One for Lennyhb (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Hi Lenny ( he who know everything electrical ), this is what’s on my new moho, what’s the best affordable partner battery for it ?
0FFE9B9A-CB14-44DE-90FE-ECD7C51FA87E.png

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Mitzimad, you may well be correct but I reckon I'll wait for the oracles response

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Peter is right, my van had the same battery replaced it with 3 x Sonnenschein SL75 Gel batteries. Previous Hymer the AGM's lasted 18 months.
The Varta's are better than the Banner rubish Hymer used to fit but they are still a dual purpose battery not a true leisure battery. If you intend to spend a fair amount of time off grid I would change it.
The Sonnenschein Gel is the same battery as the Exide they are an Exide company and make the Exide Gels. If you prefer flooded wet cells the Vata LDF90 should be OK. I say should because the Elektroblock Hymer now fit only has settings for Gel & AGM, on AGM the voltage is too high for flooded batteries and on the Gel setting the absorption charge is 16 hours which it may be able to cope with. I know they are OK on the Victon charger but the absorption charge on them is only 4 hours. Any other battery will probably fry on the Gel setting.
Probably worth asking Alan over on O&A make sure he knows the absorption charge is now 16 hours.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
My battery is a varta LA95 which is an AGM, not sure what that is
(Annual general meeting?) Will two of those be ok,?
I really don’t understand electricity.......see my new post about indicators!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
AGM + Advanced Glass Matt.
I thought my post above explained, well my view anyway.
Adding another one the same would be the normalprocedure butt I don't have much faith in the cheaper AGM's that's why I got rid of mine and fitted Gel batteries.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Thanks Lenny, we were about to ask the same question. We can only fit 2 under drivers seat, ordered 2 for a good price and collect tomorrow

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I thought out of politeness I would wait until @Lenny HB had responded to your query and will respond as follows. The Vata LDF90 is, according to Vartas own website, designed for lower spec boats and motorhomes with low or moderate energy demands (Figure that one out yourself, if you can).
Previously, members on this forum have reported problems with AGM battery failure that were caused not by the battery but by the charging unit with the Electroblock being the main culprit.
As you have a new motorhome with an AGM battery already fitted as sure as eggs are eggs the charging unit will be set to correctly maintain this battery and provided it can deal with a bigger battery bank (The limit will be specified in the charger manual), then it makes sense to double up with another identical battery to the one already fitted. This also makes economic sense.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Thanks Phil, my battery isn’t the lowely LDF90 but the mighty
Varta LA95 !
Not really sure why it’s so much better ( maybe it’s not) but it costs a lot more and yes I’ll be getting another one like it.
Hehe, guess I might be posting about batteries again in a couple of years, who knows.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@Tigertom, we've got the same van as you, with the same battery, and have not yet decided what to do about an additional one. We had a new Hymer Tramp in 2015, and fitted the additional LA 95, and the two batteries always performed well with no problems. HOWEVER, we only had the van for two years, so probably hadn't reached the critical point with regard to potential problems. We were going to do the same again, with the DL, but I couldn't find a battery, when I first looked, and then I read about the problems which people have had with them. Since then, I've been dithering.
The other thing is, there was room in the Tramp for the batteries to be fitted side by side, but there doesn't seem to be room to do that in the DL. I know @Lenny HB has fitted additional batteries, and I've seen his photo, but he's competent (unlike us). Not really a problem, I suppose, because we'll be taking it to Dave Newell to have it done, but I'm just curious. o_O

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you have the expensive Hymer option of anditioal battery they fit a metal frame that will hold 2 batteries above the exsisting one. When Campirama fit one they put a plywood shelf in for the second battery.
In my last van I had 2 Gels that were only a year old so I got Campirama to change them over as there was no way I would have AGM's again. I had to replace the shelf they fitted with a larger one so I could fit a 3rd battery.

upload_2018-1-5_14-31-21.png

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Phil, my battery isn’t the lowely LDF90 but the mighty
Varta LA95 !
Not really sure why it’s so much better ( maybe it’s not) but it costs a lot more and yes I’ll be getting another one like it.
Hehe, guess I might be posting about batteries again in a couple of years, who knows.
According to Varta's website the battery you have is a dual purpose AGM battery for moderate use with up to 400 Cycles @50% DOD (depth of discharge). This in my opinion would make it a very good battery (but not mighty LOL), if you get anywhere near the 400 cycles. I do find there website needs careful reading to ensure the right battery is obtained. They also have Professional Deep Cycle AGM battery for high use with up to 800 cycles @ 50% DOD. (Definitely mighty if it delivers this performance. They will last a long time if well maintained and not abused, i.e. the less you allow them to discharge the longer they will last.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
According to Varta's website the battery you have is a dual purpose AGM battery
That is the problem with then they are not a leisure battery. Starter & dual purpose batteries work best on short time high current situations, leisure batteries are designed for low current drain over long periods.
If you are going to fit AGM's fit decent ones designed for leisure use not one designed for stop/start car applications.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That is the problem with then they are not a leisure battery. Starter & dual purpose batteries work best on short time high current situations, leisure batteries are designed for low current drain over long periods.
If you are going to fit AGM's fit decent ones designed for leisure use not one designed for stop/start car applications.
Agree. The battery industry is shoddy to say the least IMO. Whilst there is a national standard for starter batteries. i.e. BS 7481:1992, Code of practice for testing venting systems and shields for lead-acid starter batteries. BS 7483: Specification for lead-acid batteries for the propulsion of light electric vehicles (Starter batteries again). (Now superseded by a EN standard).
There is no such national or international standard for a Leisure battery and so Manufacturers take advantage of this by producing a shed load of crap and calling them leisure batteries.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years

Lenny we need advise , we bought the Dethleffs and have a Varta 95 AGM under the drivers seat, we want to have 2 batteries but can only use the space under the drivers seat, it will fit 2 as long as same size as the original, we can purchase 2 sonnenschein 75 amp cost £284 or another Varta to match existing battery £182 which would give us 190 ah compared to 150 ah with sonnenschein. Which would be best? We have 150 watt solar panel . Thank you

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I thought it appropriate to add, that according to Varta's own website. Their 'professional dual purpose AGM batteries are in fact designed for use with Motorhomes, caravans and boats. For moderate use.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Lenny we need advise , we bought the Dethleffs and have a Varta 95 AGM under the drivers seat, we want to have 2 batteries but can only use the space under the drivers seat, it will fit 2 as long as same size as the original, we can purchase 2 sonnenschein 75 amp cost £284 or another Varta to match existing battery £182 which would give us 190 ah compared to 150 ah with sonnenschein. Which would be best? We have 150 watt solar panel . Thank you
I note @Lenny HB has yet to respond to your question so I hope neither of you will object if I make a judgement which of course can be challenged or modified accordingly by Lenny or others. In essence, my advice would be simple, just double up with your existing battery providing your charger can deal with the total battery bank. Your charger and Solar Panel will already be set up (or should be) to correctly maintain AGM batteries and as I understand it, the Sonnenschein batteries are GEL batteries which would require both your Solar Power regulator and your onboard charger to be set for Gel as opposed to being set for AGM.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lynne,
The SL 75 is actually 78a/h at the C20 rate and with Gel's you can go down to 20% DOD (depth of discharge) and still get a very long life out of them, so they will give you more capacity. The SL75 is a low profile battery the same size as your existing one.
I wouldn't want to take AGM's below 40%, so 40% of 190 is 114, 20% of 156 is 125. Gels take longer to charge as once they reach 14.3v they need an absorption charge of at least 4-8 hours compared to 1 hour for flooded batteries or AGM's.

I asume your charger is an Elektroblock which will be switchable between AMG & Gel. What solar regulator do you have?

As @Tigertom decided to go for AGM and your van & battery is only a few months old why not do a deal with him on your exsisting battery.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
It’s a good idea Lenny and I would have given them a very good price, unfortunately I’ve already got the varta on delivery.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
It’s a good idea Lenny and I would have given them a very good price, unfortunately I’ve already got the varta on delivery.

What a shame , we would have done you a good deal. Got one going spare now if anyone interested

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Just fitting my new agm battery and noticed the vent holes at both ends of the battery are sealed, is this normal ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Should be a removable plug, once the plug is removed it may still look sealed as on an AGM it is only an emergency vent.

If you are using your van mostly off grid it will be intersting to see how long they last.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Thanks Lenny, the van’s going to have mixed usage but yes it’ll be interesting to see how they do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back