Alicante winter storage and insurance (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Next winter we would like to leave our van in secure covered garage storage at Alicante. Then fly down whenever convenient to use it.

I've previously seen recommendations on here for Chris Parking: http://chrisparking.com/index.php?lang=en&men=1 and have already been in touch with the company.

I was impressed by the prompt and helpful response I received, so the next issue is insurance?

I'm currently with Comfort, but the policy is due for renewal during mid-summer, so I could easily go elsewhere if necessary. I spoke to them today - and perhaps understandably because it's a long way off - they were reluctant to make any firm offers of assistance.

We are looking at 6 months or longer in storage*. Comfort said their normal maximum was 4 weeks, and that obviously came with extra costs - £20.25 per week + £20 admin charge. They thought Aviva might be willing to quote for a completely different policy, but it would be expensive.

Comfort said the absolute maximum that could possibly be covered would be 6 months in Spain, because of EU rules. *I didn't explore the idea with them of touring to Portugal or Morocco during winter to re-set the clock, but wonder if that is a possibility?

Anyway - sorry about the long post - but has anybody done anything similar? And any advice about alternative insurance providers that might be able to cover our van? Understand it will most likely increase the cost of the insurance - which is fair enough.

All guidance on the subject much appreciated - thanks!

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Next winter we would like to leave our van in secure covered garage storage at Alicante. Then fly down whenever convenient to use it.

I've previously seen recommendations on here for Chris Parking: http://chrisparking.com/index.php?lang=en&men=1 and have already been in touch with the company.

I was impressed by the prompt and helpful response I received, so the next issue is insurance?

I'm currently with Comfort, but the policy is due for renewal during mid-summer, so I could easily go elsewhere if necessary. I spoke to them today - and perhaps understandably because it's a long way off - they were reluctant to make any firm offers of assistance.

We are looking at 6 months or longer in storage*. Comfort said their normal maximum was 4 weeks, and that obviously came with extra costs - £20.25 per week + £20 admin charge. They thought Aviva might be willing to quote for a completely different policy, but it would be expensive.

Comfort said the absolute maximum that could possibly be covered would be 6 months in Spain, because of EU rules. *I didn't explore the idea with them of touring to Portugal or Morocco during winter to re-set the clock, but wonder if that is a possibility?

Anyway - sorry about the long post - but has anybody done anything similar? And any advice about alternative insurance providers that might be able to cover our van? Understand it will most likely increase the cost of the insurance - which is fair enough.

All guidance on the subject much appreciated - thanks!

The legal position In Spain is that you can’t use a Foreign registered vehicle for longer than 6 months - 183 Days within a 12 months period. Same as that for foreign registered vehicles in the U.K.

There are discussions that suggest it can be kept in the country if not being used ( not on public roads) but neither in the U.K. or Spain have I personally got absolute proof that is the case.:)

It has to be at all times insured in its own country with valid insurance for abroad with current mot and road tax of course.

Safeguard will do 365 Days foreign Insurance cover within the EU. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The legal position In Spain is that you can’t use a Foreign registered vehicle for longer than 6 months - 183 Days within a 12 months period. Same as that for foreign registered vehicles in the U.K.

There are discussions that suggest it can be kept in the country if not being used ( not on public roads) but neither in the U.K. or Spain have I personally got absolute proof that is the case.:)

It has to be at all times insured in its own country with valid insurance for abroad with current mot and road tax of course.

Safeguard will do 365 Days foreign Insurance cover within the EU. :)
Many thanks, appreciate the info about 183 days. And definitely want to be 100% legal etc.

But, firstly would travelling to Portugal or Morocco re-set the clock to stay within the law as far as Spain (or presumably any other EU country) is concerned?

Vehicle would be UK taxed, insured and MOT'd (when the first one is due - June 19).

But ideally like to leave UK in September 2018, and return the van to this country during May 2019. However, as said, during that time would be happy to visit Portugal, Morocco, or even France, so as not to exceed 183 days in Spain. Would that keep things legal?

And do you think Safeguard might be happy with storage for a few months in Spain?

Thanks again. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Many thanks, appreciate the info about 183 days. And definitely want to be 100% legal etc.

But, firstly would travelling to Portugal or Morocco re-set the clock to stay within the law as far as Spain (or presumably any other EU country) is concerned?

Vehicle would be UK taxed, insured and MOT'd (when the first one is due - June 19).

But ideally like to leave UK in September 2018, and return the van to this country during May 2019. However, as said, during that time would be happy to visit Portugal, Morocco, or even France, so as not to exceed 183 days in Spain. Would that keep things legal?

And do you think Safeguard might be happy with storage for a few months in Spain?

Thanks again. (y)

We have covered all the issues you raise recently in the thread below - have a read through and it will answer all your questions I think :)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...n-another-eu-country-how-easy-or-hard.166760/

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Going out and in again should re-set the clock.
BUT get some proof of entry exit.. Keep ferry tickets from when you first go over and some toll receipts as you cross the Spain / Portugal border etc
As for insurance in storage I have asked a few times and always been turned down. Asked the same question a few months ago with Safeguard and they just said. NO COVER..
I have left my van in storage but took the risk.. :Eeek:

Last edited:

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Going and and in again should re-set the clock.
BUT get some proof of entry exit.. Keep ferry tickets from when you first go over and some toll receipts as you cross the Spain / Portugal border etc
As for insurance in storage I have asked a few times and always been turned down. Asked the same question a few months ago with Safeguard and they just said. NO COVER..
I have left my van in storage but took the risk.. :Eeek:

It only resets the 90 days consecutive clock - it does not rest the 183 cumulative days in a 12 month period clock - again all explained in the below thread :)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...n-another-eu-country-how-easy-or-hard.166760/

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
It only resets the 90 days consecutive clock - it does not rest the 183 cumulative days in a 12 month period clock - again all explained in the below thread :)

Yes, have now read all 10 pages of the other thread, and there are indeed a few pertinent points in it.

Although, proving residency or otherwise is not relevant for me, because the maximum length of time we ourselves intend to spend in Spain would probably amount to significantly less than 90 days in a whole year.

I simply want to be clear what I can and can't do - from a legal perspective - regarding garaging the van in Alicante. And keeping it insured. It will always be UK road legal and fully compliant with legislation at home.

But it appears that the absolute maximum time it can spend in Spain, during any rolling twelve period - is 183 days.

However, I'm still slightly unsure if it also has to exit the country - albeit briefly - before any continuous period of 90 days has expired? I don't think so, but I read a lot of stuff on the other thread and could still do with clarification on this point?

As said, I want any plans we make to be 100% legal in Spain, the UK and anywhere else we visit.

Thanks again - in advance - for any advice.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yes, have now read all 10 pages of the other thread, and there are indeed a few pertinent points in it.

Although, proving residency or otherwise is not relevant for me, because the maximum length of time we ourselves intend to spend in Spain would probably amount to significantly less than 90 days in a whole year.

I simply want to be clear what I can and can't do - from a legal perspective - regarding garaging the van in Alicante. And keeping it insured. It will always be UK road legal and fully compliant with legislation at home.

But it appears that the absolute maximum time it can spend in Spain, during any rolling twelve period - is 183 days.

However, I'm still slightly unsure if it also has to exit the country - albeit briefly - before any continuous period of 90 days has expired? I don't think so, but I read a lot of stuff on the other thread and could still do with clarification on this point?

As said, I want any plans we make to be 100% legal in Spain, the UK and anywhere else we visit.

Thanks again - in advance - for any advice.

@gus-lopez and @The Nomad
My understanding is that the Motorhome can stay on Spanish territory for over 90 consecutive days and up to 183 consecutive days. If you take the vehicle out of Spanish territory during the 183 days for say 10 days then the clock effectively stops until you return it to Spanish territory when the clock for the Motorhome restarts - the 183 days then become cumulative days that the Motorhome is allow.

The vague situation I believe is in the wording “can only be used” which the U.K. uses in its rules about foreign vehicle use in the U.K. which should be the same as any other EU country including Spain. @gus-lopez mentioned “precintado” sealed by the Guardia in years gone by but unlikely they would do it now.

That I believe would mean that if you can prove that the vehicle has not been used whilst on Spanish territory for a specific number of days then you have effectively stopped the 183 day cumulative clock whilst it is still on Spanish territory. Again (as our ex pats explain) is the gray area when it comes to how the Spanish police themselves want to interpret things at the time.:)

Yes - we all need to get the legal position absolutely clear and stay within the Laws! :)

Last edited:

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
Yes - we all need to get the legal position absolutely clear and stay within the Laws!

......... is the gray area when it comes to how the Spanish police themselves want to interpret things at the time.

Sadly Freespirit1 you have answered your own question

....... I want any plans we make to be 100% legal in Spain, the UK and anywhere else we visit.

A nice plan but sadly not achievable IMHO
(As any two enforcement officials / staff @ DVLA - you will get three different answers !!)
(Ask any two lawyers in Spain the same question - you will get four different answers)
My experience of southern Europe is that the presence of a 'y' in the day of the week can (and does) alter the rule book on a day by day basis

You will ALWAYS be in breach of some law / rule or another wherever you are - commendable to research the obvious ones, but ....

Being humble and respectful in the face of adversity often trumps the rule book, everywhere

the voice of experience !!

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
@gus-lopez and @The Nomad
My understanding is that the Motorhome can stay on Spanish territory for over 90 consecutive days and up to 183 consecutive days. If you take the vehicle out of Spanish territory during the 183 days for say 10 days then the clock effectively stops until you return it to Spanish territory when the clock for the Motorhome restarts - the 183 days then become cumulative days that the Motorhome is allow.

The vague situation I believe is in the wording “can only be used” which the U.K. uses in its rules about foreign vehicle use in the U.K. which should be the same as any other EU country including Spain. @gus-lopez mentioned “precintado” sealed by the Guardia in years gone by but unlikely they would do it now.

That I believe would mean that if you can prove that the vehicle has not been used whilst on Spanish territory for a specific number of days then you have effectively stopped the 183 day cumulative clock whilst it is still on Spanish territory. Again (as our ex pats explain) is the gray area when it comes to how the Spanish police themselves want to interpret things at the time.:)

Yes - we all need to get the legal position absolutely clear and stay within the Laws! :)
Clearly, a bit of minefield - but thanks again for your thoughts.

And there was me thinking my plan to leave the van in a secure garage in Spain for the winter was reasonably straightforward... :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back