External screen covers............in Spain? (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Rita and I only use our external screen covers in the UK, from October through to March to keep the heat in, and condensation levels to a minimum.

We were wondering if we will we be needing the covers whilst wintering in Spain, (Valencia region) keeping in mind that although the days may be warm, the nights may get quite cold. Any views on this one please, from those who know?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We will be getting some when we come to UK in the spring! As you say Jock we have had some very cold nights at Totana and they would have helped!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We use ours on the cold nights, it does help with the warmth and stops condensation. That happens even here!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Ken/Steph, and Judith, for confirming what I thought might be the case. (y)

The covers are great at what they do, but they don't half cut out the natural light, which is my only gripe with them. Being a short a#se, it's not always possible to pull down the front cover for light, especially if the MH is raised on ramps. :LOL:

Cheers,

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
We use them in summer to keep the heat out and sun off the screen. We also have the ones which have the netting underneath on the screen bit which does let some light in

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Ken/Steph, and Judith, for confirming what I thought might be the case. (y)

The covers are great at what they do, but they don't half cut out the natural light, which is my only grip with them. Being a short a#se, it's not always possible to pull down the front cover for light, especially if the MH is raised on ramps. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock it will be so bright and sunny you will be glad of the shade!!:LOL:
Safe travels both of you and we will be plotting your route!!!

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
push them back up with a stick or awning pole!?!!?
Yes, that's a technique I do use to get them back up......................when I can overcome the really strong velcro, to get them down. :LOL:

We use them in summer to keep the heat out and sun off the screen. We also have the ones which have the netting underneath on the screen bit which does let some light in
Thanks cookie. :) We prefer to use them over winter, and use the internal blinds for the summer. (y)

Jock it will be so bright and sunny you will be glad of the shade!!:LOL:
Safe travels both of you and we will be plotting your route!!!
Thanks Anthea. :) It's the condensation I want to prevent, and wasn't sure how cold Spain could be at night....................being our first go at this "Snowbirding" malarkey. :LOL:

Have you got a rough date in mind, for you and Rob to venture south?

Cheers,

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, that's a technique I do use to get them back up......................when I can overcome the really strong velcro, to get them down. :LOL:

Thanks cookie. :) We prefer to use them over winter, and use the internal blinds for the summer. (y)

Thanks Anthea. :) It's the condensation I want to prevent, and wasn't sure how cold Spain could be at night....................being our first go at this "Snowbirding" malarkey. :LOL:

Have you got a rough date in mind, for you and Rob to venture south?

Cheers,

We are hoping late Jan early feb if all appointments are sorted but have yet to book the crossing!! I’m already thinking shorts and flip flop wardrobe!!
We have found the silver screens amazing to stop condensation ! And there will always be someone with longer legs or arms to help on site I’m sure!!xx

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We've always taken and used silver screens when going to Spain in the winter. Last January was particularly cold and we were so pleased that we'd got them with us.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We've always taken and used silver screens when going to Spain in the winter. Last January was particularly cold and we were so pleased that we'd got them with us.
That's another confirmation. Thanks Kim. (y)

Righty Ho, in the garage they go. ;)

Thanks everyone for you replies. Much appreciated. (y)

Cheers for now,

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We are going down from Sunday but if I remember from last year in the rapido Aclass we didn’t use them as there wasn’t much condensation, we will be in the hymer Aclass this time so will see if we need to get them out of the locker, it is a pain especially for me to put them up so they only go up when needed..... where abouts are you heading for @Anthea M @JockandRita ..?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We will be getting some when we come to UK in the spring! As you say Jock we have had some very cold nights at Totana and they would have helped!
Tough Weegie???

quote-the-scots-are-a-very-tough-people-they-have-drive-by-headbuttings-in-glasgow-a-sweatband-emo-philips-143-33-22.jpg

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are going down from Sunday but if I remember from last year in the rapido Aclass we didn’t use them as there wasn’t much condensation, we will be in the hymer Aclass this time so will see if we need to get them out of the locker, it is a pain especially for me to put them up so they only go up when needed..... where abouts are you heading for @Anthea M @JockandRita ..?
Somewhere warm!!:hot::sun:! But want to visit Totana as I've reserved a seat with a purple cushion on ( I leave the reserving towels for others!!!)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Never cold enough Spain in Winter so we leave ours at home, we do have remis internal blinds though. :)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We are crossing on Saturday, and will be driving for most of Sunday, ie, quiet on the roads. ;)

Not sure about Anthea & Rob, but Rita and I are heading for Benicassim to start with, arriving on the 14th January.

Cheers,

Jock, Are you on the Bay de Seine from Portsmouth on 6th? If so we are too.Looking at Bay of Biscay forecast I think it will changed too another time or Day!
Cheers
Bernie

19 kenny 42

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
ackworth yorks
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
we use hows in the sun keeps the van cool,found from experience that using the blinds in the sun can melt the glue on the folded bits, we have a silver screen the one which you can fold the front down, but very do we need to do it

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock, Are you on the Bay de Seine from Portsmouth on 6th? If so we are too.Looking at Bay of Biscay forecast I think it will changed too another time or Day!
Cheers
Bernie
Hi Bernie. :)

Just seen your post while catching up. No, not crossing the BoB, as neither of us have got the sea legs (or stomach) should it turn out to be a rough one. Instead, it's the Tunnel, with a stopover at Wissant (hopefully, then hit the road south on Sunday, driving until we've had enough for the day. ;)

You have a safe crossing. (y)

Cheers,

P.S. External screens all packed everyone. ;)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Just seen your post while catching up. No, not crossing the BoB, as neither of us have got the sea legs (or stomach) should it turn out to be a rough one. Instead, it's the Tunnel, with a stopover at Wissant (hopefully, then hit the road south on Sunday, driving until we've had enough for the day. ;)

Cheers,

Morning Jock, Happy New year to you, as from Saturday here in Murcia a change in the weather is expected, we might see a reduction of 10 degrees more or less, so your decision to bring your screens is a good one........we never travel without ours...we have Remis blinds fitted but they do not keep out the power of the Spanish sun as the year moves on through the months. Our van is outside our house right now, screens fitted.......the only time we do not use ours is when we spend a night freecamping somewhere that we might need to move on if reasons dictate such actions...

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We are in Spain just outside Benidorm and use our external covers. The days are hot but soon chills down in the evening. A frost is a frost where ever you are in the world.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012

Cheers,

Safe trip Jock. We have our fingers crossed for the crossing. Seasick pills ready
Cheers
Bernie

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Good afternoon Martin, and a Happy New Year to you and Judith too. :)
Thanks for the "heads up" re the expected drop in temperatures. (y)

the only time we do not use ours is when we spend a night freecamping somewhere that we might need to move on if reasons dictate such actions...
Yep, that'll be us too on the way down. ;) If I need to use ramps, I always reverse up, so that if a "sharp exit" is required, a quick shimmy of the steering wheel sees us away safely, with the ramps left behind. ;)

Safe trip Jock. We have our fingers crossed for the crossing. Seasick pills ready
Thanks Bernie. :) I hope you don't need the :sicker::sicker: pills. ;)

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back