SERGENT EC155 POWER SUPPLY - NOISY?? (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
My Sergeant EC155 power supply has recently started to make what can only be described as a "whirring alarm clock" sort of noise - but only intermittently. It seemed to have started when the 240 power supply was interrupted during a power cut. I had no idea what the noise was and it only stopped instantly when I turned the switch off on the unit after being baffled and bemused at 0200! In the morning, I switched it on again and the noise stopped until 0100 this morning when it started again. This time when I switched it off, the noise died gradually until it finally stopped. I have read, and re-read, the instructions to the unit and it makes no reference to this "Alarm" (??). Does anybody know what I'm dealing with - please! I need to be able to sleep at nights!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Common issue is the cooling fan gets gunged up with fluff and dirt or the motor is wearing and its showing as it gets hot.
Disconnect from mains, open the unit and clean out around the fan with some compressed air (poundland) and then maybe some switch cleaner or other lube on the fan spindle (maplins / ebay). That would be my first action..

Or course may be something totally different..
http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/product_repair.html#Sargent

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
sound advice from Tonka, but it could just be cold, there very tempremental, and flacky, but do as tonks says clean it out, lube it up, prepare for the repair.....good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
UPDATE

Is this an annual thing as having had a quiet summer, the irritating noise started again whilst I was staying with the same friends over New Year! This time I managed to isolate the source of the irritating noise and it turned out to be the "CBE - CBS2 Car battery recharging system" which, every time I turned on the power, the unit started buzzing like a wasp in a jar! Not only with the mains power, but my 100w solar panel also irritated the damn thing so major surgery was called for and the offending part replaced. So far so good but what is in this little box that could make such a noise?

Any one else had this problem?

Shanehewick

Free Member
Aug 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Aut
UPDATE

Is this an annual thing as having had a quiet summer, the irritating noise started again whilst I was staying with the same friends over New Year! This time I managed to isolate the source of the irritating noise and it turned out to be the "CBE - CBS2 Car battery recharging system" which, every time I turned on the power, the unit started buzzing like a wasp in a jar! Not only with the mains power, but my 100w solar panel also irritated the damn thing so major surgery was called for and the offending part replaced. So far so good but what is in this little box that could make such a noise?

Any one else had this problem?
Hi I have the same problem of the buzzing noise , how did you fix it ? And which part was at fault ?

Thanks

Shane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
A CBE-CBS2 is a small electrical unit that is often fitted to enable a small amount of power to be sent from the leisure battery to the starter battery to keep its charge level up. That is the item that I think DiggerJon found to be faulty and had he had to replace.

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
To be honest, it’s so long ago that I can’t really remember much about it, but whatever I did it seems to have worked as I haven’t been buzzed since! Mind you, I haven’t been able to use the MH much in the last couple of years - COVID and all that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back