Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
i have one of the clarke IG1000 suitcase gennys, machine marts honda eu clone,

i have a gas point next to the genny, used it to run my last generator which was a lawnmower engine running a cars alternator.

i have the fuel controller that regulates the gas into the carb, i just need the carb adaptor/vaporizer.

anyone ever converted one of the clarke inverter gennys to run on lpg?

i am aware that the valves/seats may be like those on the early kippors and erode when on lpg, if that happens i'll repair it, it's only a 50cc engine, and i'm sure i can find somewhere that stocks or can make a hardened valve face if needed.

i know you can buy the carb adaptor for the honda gennies, but i dont know if it will fit a clarke generator,
i'd imagine if there was a carb adaptor for one of the chinese made inverter gennies, i would stand a better chance of making that work,

i dont want to go with the pipe down the carb throat method i used on the last engine, so would prefer a proper adaptor jobbie.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
i am aware that the valves/seats may be like those on the early kippors and erode when on lpg, if that happens i'll repair it, it's only a 50cc engine, and i'm sure i can find somewhere that stocks or can make a hardened valve face if needed.

Interesting point mentioned here, I was thinking of running my new Kipor 2600 on LPG, am I to take it that they aren`t like the honda and will run on LPG. ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Conversion kit

May be of interest ..

Link Removed 200,68EUR

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
and the english version for the none spanish speakers

Link Removed

how do you make that out John.. ?

both links go to same page :Doh:

are you using a Spanish lappy ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
how do you make that out John.. ?

both links go to same page :Doh:

are you using a Spanish lappy ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Si senor, mi lappy abla espanol !!!:ROFLMAO: (i dont do spanish :Doh:)

thats extremely odd Jim....when i first clicked your link it opened on a spanish page but now it opens on an english page.

weird :Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Seems a damned good idea to me right now, just stripped the carb and cleaned it. Gas would save that regular chore. And carrying dangerous petrol. It has a lot going for it. Will they actually start on LPG ?

This carb is stepper motor controlled - I wonder how this fits in ?

OP
OP
G

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
yes they will start on lpg, you press the little button on the fuel controller for a second or 2, this allows gas into the mixer, then pull the handle a few times and off she goes, once it's running the vacuum created on the mizer operated the fuel controller to allow the right ammount of gas in,

when engine stops, vacuum stops, and fuel shuts off... tho you are advised to shut the engine down by turning the gas off and letting it die.

dont use the choke, has no use on a lpg conversion,

no probs with the throttle, it's just a motor contrilling is instead of a cable from the governer, more the throttle is opened, the vacuum changes and thus the fuel controller changes the ammount of lpg allowed past.

there is a simple was to gassify small engines, a fitting called a 'spud' it's just an L shaped pipe, one end has a screw in barbed fitting for the gas line from the fuel controller, the open end you arange to poke down the throat of the carb, but they arent that accurate i find, and it is a pain to get them positioned and not obstruct the air flot too much, plus holes needing drilling thru the air box for the gas pipe etc.

hence i'd much rather have the proper mixer ring that goes between the carb and inlet port,

there are some gennies other than hondas that kits are available for, so i guess it's just a case of measuring the carb and bolt spacings, and finding the right sized mixer.

will half the cost of running the genny if you have a lpg tank (if using calor bottles it'll be roughly the same, as they work out at over a quid a litre for the gas)

be aware if buying a kit, there are 2 types of fuel controller kits, high and low pressure, the high pressure ones are for mounting on a gas bottle with it's own regulator, seen on catering trailer gennies,

the low pressure one is what we want, as they work on 30millibars pressure, so you just tap into the motorhomes exsisting gas lines, i have a dedicated outlet from the gas manifold, as i planned a lpg powered genny when i built the van,

once i get the genny running on lpg, i'll be having a go at starting it lectricaly, with the petrol tank out of the case there's room for a model airplane type starter, just need to add a sprag clutch and couple it to where the rope starter engages, oh and add a solenoid to operate the starting button on the lpg fuel regulator... might be easier to just send the Gf out in the rain to start the thing :)

OP
OP
G

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
oh yeah, i only need the mixer, so hoping to pay about 20 quid for it, the fuel controller is the expensive bit (the big metalig disc thing shown in the kits) i bought that seperately for £120 a few years ago,

should pay around £150 for a full lpg kit, sounds expensive especialy as you only get 2 or 3 parts and a few hoses and clips, but that fuel regulator jobbie is the importiant thing,

i guess if you work out how long payback time is, it'll be a few years, but for me it's the convineance of not having to cart around a jerry can of petrol, re-fueling it every 4 to 6 hours, ok as mines the 1kw version, it only taks half a gallon,
but lpg will be much more convienient for me,

then i only have to carry 4 fuels instead of 5 (usually have a tank of biodiesel, the other tank usually has some dino diesel in it, then the lpg tank and the red diesel tank for the heater)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back