Good deal on KTM Duke 390's just now. (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ahh good, I wanted to remove the tank sticker on mine but I'm scared of it leaving a mess or pulling the paint off with it. What other stickers are you taking off?

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Ahh good, I wanted to remove the tank sticker on mine but I'm scared of it leaving a mess or pulling the paint off with it. What other stickers are you taking off?
All of them! :D2
Get some clutch and brake cleaner. You can buy it by the gallon ( works out a lot cheaper if you use a lot, which I do ) or in a spray can. Gets all the sticky residue off cleanly. Won't damage paint either.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Why did you fit that ?

It's illegal and makes a bike look chavvy :(
No it doesn't. The 8x6 is only an inch smaller than the huge standard one ( letters and numbers are only 4mm smaller but with a smaller surround) and is a vast improvement. That and the R&G tail tidy make it look superb.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That's the same size number plate I put on the scooter the original one was too big, you don't really notice it's smaller but it looks better and it passed the MOT in March. I'll get one ordered for the Duke after Christmas. Maybe a tail tidy too but first I'm fitting semi rigid saddle bags (shad E48) and I'll see how it would look first.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Also have you been out on it? What do you think?

Nope, not been out on it yet. :D
Been on sticker removal duty, cleaning the bike after the dealers test ride. And then I washed my motorhome. May venture out tomorrow when the roads are empty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Wet tomorrow but might get out midweek as the weather looks better.
D10C1157-F736-4ADC-B13B-163FA9D2079D.png

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
How do you carry things on a motorcycle? I ordered some saddle bags but they look too big and only have a capacity of 2kg each. A top box will look even worse but you've got to be able to carry some stuff/shopping/beer or they're bloody useless (n)

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
This is the top box that we have for the 690,think the carrying of provisions might be a problem with the 390 as the top box for it sits above the rear seat.:xsad:
59084DEE-64BE-4205-8600-310E7A831639.jpeg

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I have a small Givi Tank lock & bag & I'm going to get a larger Kappa bag for next year, same fitting but seen better reviews on the Kappa, this particular size bag.

Bit of info (y)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I won't be putting any sort of luggage on the 390. I have my fully kitted out BMW GS for touring on. You can get the proper KTM panniers to go on the 390. They look good. Also they do a tank bag that clips onto a ring round the filler cap.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Massive drop in sales this year, hopefully those 390's are being picked up by new riders and not all being stuffed in the back of campers.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Why do you care what people are using them for?

Because if we are buying them to put in the back of campers, its because they fit , and thats it.. if its a 22 year old kid, he is starting out , he is the rider of the future , that the market needs to survive.

I worked in the trade through the 'born again' phase, where the then 40 somethings came back to bikes in a big way, during the late 90's and the market came back well, but its been in decline, the folk buying now are people who maybe did that and realised that its a bit much, and have down graded their kit to more sensible levels, and manufacturers have had to make those bikes.

KTM as a manufacturer have made bikes that people want to buy , they have gone from being the 5th brand in Motocross, to a market leader, worldwide, and their road bike presence is growing rapidly too, and while they will never hit the numbers of the big 4 , they have reshaped the market .

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I’m guessing it was a figurative comment, alluding to the prospect that fewer new or young riders purchasing bikes is bad for the long term motorcycle market. Manufacturers need recurring sales to warrant R&D, if the market shrinks to only the mature buyer, then the viability of that R&D investment becomes questionable given the lower unit sales and revenue/margins.

Or something like that?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Can't wait to get on mine, haven't ridden a proper bike since 2005. It's blocked in behind the van at the minute and I've got to do some alterations before I can get it out easily.

I read about the 390 in the summer and when I saw how light it was (139kg old model) and not too expensive compared to the 690 or the 650 Honda I liked... I thought maybe one day I'll persuade Ann (and myself) to get one. Then they dropped the price by £1500. So now there's one in my garage :ROFLMAO:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I’m guessing it was a figurative comment, alluding to the prospect that fewer new or young riders purchasing bikes is bad for the long term motorcycle market. Manufacturers need recurring sales to warrant R&D, if the market shrinks to only the mature buyer, then the viability of that R&D investment becomes questionable given the lower unit sales and revenue/margins.

Or something like that?
If you look at the British bike industry from 1940s to 1960s the bikes hardly changed or evolved. They had a monopoly and sold plenty, so sat on their laurels. Only when the Japanese came, did they try bring them up to date. But was too late.

High sales doesn't motivate improvement. Poor sales does though.

Dave parse

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just managed to get one of the last ones of the KTM Duke 390 that are still available in the uk @ £3k - Spent all morning ringing around the UK and manged to bag one at this unbelievable price.
Well pleased is an understatement, even managed to get the colour (white) that i wanted :) And this was the last one this dealer had.
Had a ding dong with Fowlers this morning as they have bought a lot of dealer stock through the UK after selling there allocation and are now selling them for £3500 with no movement on price! Other dealers are saying that the deal was only for bikes with deposits paid before the end of the year, so lots of different stories going around out there at the moment.

Attachments

• ktm.jpg
    ktm.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 21

Dave parse

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
White has an invisible force field and cloaking device around it :) it a few years I had a super duke 2 with the bug eye so would imagine ride would be similar can’t wait :)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years

Only Dealers who had the foresight to do young rider training are the the main sellers now, once us old tarts have stopped that's the end of our chosen leisure pleasure, what with government legislation EU legislation, H&S & kids being wrapped in cotton wool whilst carrying their own security blanket :whistle:

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Just been out for a zip round on mine! First time out for the 390! What a superb little bike! Even though you can't rev past 6000rpm whilst running in you can tell there's a fair bit of grunt there. Handling is very precise. I'm used to my GS and this KTM is "twitchy" in comparison. By that I mean it turns in a lot quicker cos of the shorter wheelbase and half the weight. Gonna be good fun when it's run in and the roads / tyres are a lot warmer! (y)
So I'm well chuffed with my faster orange one. :D2

Dave parse

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
:) - excellent cant wait to get out on mine

Join us or log in to post a reply.