Netherlands and cyclists (1 Viewer)

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
We are off to the Netherlands next weekend, what is the law on cylists and road user priorities?

regards

Karen

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cyclists have supreme right of way, they are a protected species in the Netherlands :Smile:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Caggsie

You will find that in most places Cyclist have their own paths and traffic lights. The Netherlands is Brilliant for people on a bike - most of the population have one and its one of the safest places to cycle. The Dutch always without fail ride two aside chatting where ever they are in the world.

Which part are you off to?

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
This may seem a silly extension of the question, but if say we are at a traffic light and it is green do they still have the right of way? Have been to Amsterdam before but as a flying tourist this is the first time we have driven over there.

regards

karen

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
You will find that unless the road is particularly narrow or city centre that there is always a cycle path along side the road (seperate).

But in my Opinion the answer to your question is yes. As Geoff587 says the cyclist are a protected species and most traffic gives way to them - unlike this country where is seem no body takes any notice.

Sonja

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
This may seem a silly extension of the question, but if say we are at a traffic light and it is green do they still have the right of way? Have been to Amsterdam before but as a flying tourist this is the first time we have driven over there.

regards

karen
Yes!!
I have driven right through Amsterdam and would never ever again. The cyclists there are quite totally mad........insane. They ride where they want, how they want to, and basically please themselves. They are a law unto themselves.

Drive in Amsterdam at your own peril.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Caggsie

This might help
Link Removed

Having lived in Amsterdam I can concur with everything Bullet guy says.

Sonja

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
the answer to your question is yes. As Geoff587 says the cyclist are a protected species and most traffic gives way to them - unlike this country where is seem no body takes any notice.

Sonja
"most traffic gives way to them"????
They don't give you chance to give way!!

OP
OP
C

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
Sonja,

A little bit of a tour, off to the west coast, about 30 miles from Amsterdam and a few miles from Kuekenhof, the name escapes me, a CC site, then to Delft and then Brugge. abit of a whizzy tour from Sunday to Fri Looking forward to it. Went to Germany last year, throughly enjoyed it and starting to stretch our wings. Have been to Amsterdam for a few years but by air and watching the traffic there it seemed very different to our roads. Having to watch for Trams and cyclist, even though the lights were on green, seems abit alien. Having said that, I'll do this side of the channel and other half will do the european side.

regads

karen

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although as previously said, there is usually a cycle path, where there isn't cycles have priority over pedestrians on the footpath. Watch out for 50cc scooters which have the same rights as cyclists, keep out of their way.:whatthe:

That said, for getting around Amsterdam, get a bike, or hire one from practically anywhere. Or stay at one of the campsites and get a tram into the city.

I hired a bike there once, no gears and practically no brakes, some seem to date from the 1900s.:winky:

OP
OP
C

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
Amsterdam is on the visit list but not in the motorhome, via tram/train/bus, whichever is easiest. The plan was Kuekenhof, but as the weather hasn't been too good and our flowers aren't out, I'm going to assume that theirs won't be either, but very flexible on that. Will wnquire once there.

regards

Karen

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
You will have a great time Karen. Hope the weather stays good for you and Brugge is lovelly as well.

My family are from the Netherlands and I have always used a cycle over there from an early age.

I had a peddle backwards for the brakes with no gears one (interesting ride) and I'm sure it was a pre 1900 antique. I suppose cyclists in the Netherlands are a bit luny but I think its just the way the dutch are:winky:

We also buy our bikes from the same shop in Appledorn and I am returning this summer to upgrade my bike.

Sonja

OP
OP
C

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
Bikes are at the ready. Only had them for 19mths and are rust buckets. Cheapies from halfords, Raleigh (what utter rubbish now) Used to have one of those bikes when we lived in Germany(dad was in army) I love them. They do tend to be be very tall though - from what I have seen - i'm a tad vertically challenged so not good for me.

Karen

pieterv

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
A class

regards

karen
In some cities (e.g. The Hague) they have (or at least had when I still lived in Holland) a very dangerous (if you are not aware of it) arrangement of traffic lights, where right turning cars can have a green light, but straight on bikes on their bike paths will also have green. So, you might think it is safe to turn right, afterall your light is green, and plow straight into a bike!

Watch out!

Shore-is-Good

Free Member
Aug 26, 2008
Somewhere warm
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Cyclists have supreme right of way, they are a protected species in the Netherlands :Smile:

...which is why I shall never, ever, drive my motorhome to the Netherlands, ever, ever again:Nowink:

The cyclosuicidists are freekin' nuts!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Karen, your bikes maybe rust buckets,:winky: they have lots of them there.::bigsmile:
But still lock them up.:Doh:

We watched them fishing one day, and was amazed how many they got....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:Doh::roflmto: Bob.

Attachments

• Shrunk bikes.jpg
    Shrunk bikes.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 16
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Fabulous place Amsterdam , went twice on the Tall Ships, Jubilee Sailing Trust , STS Nelson and STS Tenacious, great fun . Also been to Floriade, brilliant :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back