2009 Peugeot Boxer, poor starting (1 Viewer)

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Since purchasing our van we've had problems on start up especially from cold. It's the 2.2 Ford engine which struggles to fire up and when it does it generally konks out the first couple of times.
The previous owner had the same problems and had a wiring loom replaced by Peugeot at a cost of 1500 quid but it hasn't resolved the issue.
It's nothing to do with the battery, I have it on constant Ehu so is fully charged, the other consequence of turning it over results in the engine management emissions warning light illuminating I guess because it's picking up neat fuel and doesn't like it ! It tends to reset after an hour or so.
Just wondered if anyone else has this problem or is it a common fault and if so what's the most likely causes?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
When was it last serviced & what kind of service ?

What's the mileage ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
When was it last serviced & what kind of service ?

What's the mileage ?
Last service at Peugeot main dealers January this year, it was a major service.
Mileage is 25000.
As I mentioned this appears to be an on going problem, the previous owner who was a Funster gave the van no expenses spared treatment, why he "put up " with the starting issue during the from New warranty period is a mystery to me unless he tried to get it sorted out without success.
He definitely tried to get it resolved prior to sale though, Peugeot diagnosed it as a fault in the wiring loom which he had replaced at no little expense but it hasn't cured it.

OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
My garage checked it over but not for this fault however the diagnostic report said that the EGR was slightly sticking but they recommended that I left it for now as they don't normally fail until 70 _ 80k miles.
Could this possibly cause the symptoms?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
My garage checked it over but not for this fault however the diagnostic report said that the EGR was slightly sticking but they recommended that I left it for now as they don't normally fail until 70 _ 80k miles.
Could this possibly cause the symptoms?

The E.G.R.V. is closed at start up & idle, or should be.
Did the wiring fault have anything to do with the injectors ?

OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
The E.G.R.V. is closed at start up & idle, or should be.
Did the wiring fault have anything to do with the injectors ?
So if the EGRV is stuck slightly open could that be the culprit?
Don't know if the wiring involved the injectors, I could ask the previous owner though

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
So if the EGRV is stuck slightly open could that be the culprit?

Don't know if the wiring involved the injectors, I could ask the previous owner though

Yes it could.

I think that would be helpful as I'm sure I've read something about injector loom issues before

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
No I don't think so

It that case no idea. My van (same engine and year) has had a ton of electrical work done on it over 4 years, which I cured myself in the end, but the starter motor was sluggish on mine and part of the problem. It would also sometimes refuse to start after a drive when still warm.

Thought I'd ask in case yours was the same.

OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
It that case no idea. My van (same engine and year) has had a ton of electrical work done on it over 4 years, which I cured myself in the end, but the starter motor was sluggish on mine and part of the problem. It would also sometimes refuse to start after a drive when still warm.

Thought I'd ask in case yours was the same.
Mine will also struggle after a run, I've found that there is a definite improvement if I allow all the engine management checks to complete ie all the lights to extinguish before engaging the starter motor.

OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
I should have posted this a while ago but my mechanic contacted a senior technician he knows at Peugeot in January and there is a Peugeot tech bulletin regarding poor starting issues on 2.2 Boxer vans.
The wiring loom can be a culprit due to high electrical resistance, I'm just quoting him, I don't really know what it means!
If that has been changed the next thing is to check/replace the crankshaft position sensor, this can move through vibration and will cause bad starting but may not bring up a fault code!
I had this replaced and bingo the van starts perfectly well now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back