ABS BRAKE SENSOR WIRES CUT. Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 555
Exp
32 YEARS
For the 2nd time in 4 months our ABS brake sensor wires from the chassis to the rear axle on our Transit Motorhome have been cut. Has anyone got any idea why this would be done? Both times it happened at home parked on our drive. The brakes are fine it is just the sensor wires, We get on very well with all the neighbours. Any ideas?
File 18-12-2017, 15 29 08.png

OP
OP
hobbyhome
Jul 7, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 555
Exp
32 YEARS
Lots of people are saying squirrels. Originally we thought a human as 1 clean cut but now believe it is a rodent of some description. Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is it possible that they're being caught/trapped on something when you drive the MH, either on the ground/road or on the MH itself? We had a sensor on one of our front wheels 'cut' and all we could assume is it had got caught on something when we were driving along some rough ground.

OP
OP
hobbyhome
Jul 7, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 555
Exp
32 YEARS
Definitely not caught on something. It happened both times on our drive. All the pieces were under the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I agree with the others - that's definitely not a cut, wire cutters would give a much cleaner cut than that, that's either abrasion or gnawing - and my money would be on rodents. It's funny what they'll go for, if the wire is hanging down it could just be a tempting target for one. A bit of spiral wrap around the wire may be enough to make it less attractive - although Spanner's Amazon find looks better, if it's flexible enough to still move OK with the van suspension.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another option may be to try to put a cover over the wiring, or put something on it to deter the squirrels etc from nibbling it ... not sure what they don't like the taste of but thinks like garlic, chilli pepper/oil, and peppermint I think puts them off too ... Vaseline wouldn't taste that nice either!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Maybe whilst you're trying deterrents you could just string a dummy bit of cable up so you don't have to replace the actual ABS leads every time. I fear if it is Squirrels then the only way to stop them will be via a proper trap but maybe you could find another way.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Traps are OK, but if it’s squirrels, you will just trap a problem! If it’s a grey one, you have to destroy it, as it’s classed as a foreign pest - you can’t just relocate it and let it go! If it’s a red one (lucky you), it’s protected, and you shouldn’t have trapped it!!

You might want to try one of the German Marten deterrents, which seem to keep all kinds of wildlife away (including rats and mice). We keep our Moho on a local farm, with one of these hung under the bonnet, connected to the jump start terminals, pointed down and back to flood the underneath with sounds they don’t like! It certainly keeps the mice and rats away!!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Traps are OK, but if it’s squirrels, you will just trap a problem! If it’s a grey one, you have to destroy it, as it’s classed as a foreign pest - you can’t just relocate it and let it go! If it’s a red one (lucky you), it’s protected, and you shouldn’t have trapped it!!

You might want to try one of the German Marten deterrents, which seem to keep all kinds of wildlife away (including rats and mice). We keep our Moho on a local farm, with one of these hung under the bonnet, connected to the jump start terminals, pointed down and back to flood the underneath with sounds they don’t like! It certainly keeps the mice and rats away!!

I wasn't thinking of a live trap but you are quite correct grey squirrels cannot be relocated legally and if you use a kill trap it needs to be an approved one set in a tunnel or cage that prevents other species from entering. Perhaps the repellent you mentioned will do the job, a better solution all round if it does. The model you linked to is available on Amazon at half the price if that helps anyone.

Edit: I found the following which might be the cause as well.
http://www.garageservicesnorthlondon.co.uk/animal-damage-cars/

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Thanks for the lead on the Marten deterrents. The rodents rather like the foam protection and wiring insulation in the engine bay on Yvette's BMW.
Found the Marten deterrents at nearly half the eBay price on Amazon so have I have just ordered two, one for the BMW and one for the motorhome. :xThumb:

Amazon product ASIN B0000WR76I

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I had a customer once where squirrels had chewed up his plug leads on various occasions, he liberally wiped some Vic's vapour rub on them that deterred the little buggers.

OP
OP
hobbyhome
Jul 7, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 555
Exp
32 YEARS
Yes will try that. Thanks.
I had a customer once where squirrels had chewed up his plug leads on various occasions, he liberally wiped some Vic's vapour rub on them that deterred the little buggers.
Good idea.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Ahhh!!!!! All the optimists
Did anyone think they may be after the brake pipes!!!!!

Have you found any horses heads in your beds:xrofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back