Free Member
Mar 17, 2010
Caerphilly, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
< 2
I've finally bitten the bullet and opted for a proper self build conversion rather than my previous partitioned van (MWB high roof Sprinter) with a bed.

Hardest thing I've encountered so far was getting insurance with a realistic mileage limit - when insured as a van I had a policy with unlimited mileage, now that it's insured as a motorhome I've had to settle for a limit of 20,000 miles which hopefully I won't go over - but with a 5000+ mile trip across Europe and back starting this Friday I might end up using over a quarter of my annual allowance in just 5 weeks, and I have multiple trips to Scotland, Dorset & Cornwall lined up for later in the year (I'm based in South Wales)

I've got most stuff sorted out, but hopefully some of you will be able to help me out with sourcing the last few, more obscure things needed to finish the conversion ... though most of it might have to wait until I get back from Europe due to time constraints.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Craig, looks like you have some exciting times ahead, how about showing us a couple of photos of your self build. A good way to keep you mileage lower is when you find a really nice place, stop a while:thumb:

Meanwhile welcome to the Fun. :thumb:::bigsmile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Welcome to the forum Craig ::bigsmile: :welcomefunster:
Sounds like you have some interesting journeys ahead :Smile::thumb:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
hi and welcome

great to hear from you,, another good way is when your speedo cable works lose, just use the sat nav part for speed check,, :ROFLMAO:but dont quote me :Angry::Blush::Blush:
serious bit M Glanville, 27 park st Gosport, hampshire Link Removed

he buys old caravans, and dismantles them, has windows, cookers fridges etc,, a great chap, its an aladins cave ,,, my friend,, bought a unit, 2 burner and grill, fridge and sink with cupboard, 250 pounds, allways worth a chat, he never throws anything away,, you want it,,,, bet hes go it,, enjoy, travel well, and wave,,, :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've had to settle for a limit of 20,000 miles which hopefully I won't go over

That's a hell of a mileage on "holiday".

Last year we did Morocco. About 5000 miles, when I got home I wondered what we'd done, a route march or a holiday. We saw many things but "experienced" not enough.

So this year, Lake Garda and deliberately booked for 10 nights to force myself to have a holiday. This will be about 3000 miles. We'll see how this works out.

Some of the best trips have been FUN meets and all under 100 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
That's a hell of a mileage on "holiday".

Last year we did Morocco. About 5000 miles, when I got home I wondered what we'd done, a route march or a holiday. We saw many things but "experienced" not enough.

So this year, Lake Garda and deliberately booked for 10 nights to force myself to have a holiday. This will be about 3000 miles. We'll see how this works out.

Some of the best trips have been FUN meets and all under 100 miles.

Lake Garda is beautiful, you`ll love it, we stayed in Malcesine last year, a fantastic medieval town, take the Monte Baldo cable car for amazing views.
Have to say the food and the wine (they keep the best for themselves) was excellent.
We also went to the Opera at Verona, not that we are opera buffs but what an experience, a must do.

Enjoy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We also went to the Opera at Verona, not that we are opera buffs but what an experience, a must do.

Enjoy.

We are out of luck, too early in the season for the outdoor concerts. All that is on is some ballet in a theatre.

OP
OP
C

CraigHarris

Free Member
Mar 17, 2010
Caerphilly, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
< 2
Cheers guys

Although I've spent quite a lot I managed to do some stuff really cheap as my father had a small pile of damaged kitchen cupboards & doors which we managed to cut down suitably.

I've now got a 2m by 80cm semi-permanent bed (it half lifts up for extra work-surface space if needed) a 2 seater seatbox, a single seat, a kitchen work surface with a double hob in the middle and a grill underneath, a 40L fridge/freezer, a 3000W inverter, 226Ah of 12V batteries, 12V lighting all round, 12V & 240V sockets, multiple cupboards and a space in the back just big enough to strap my bike into vertically (my bike are way too expensive to leave on bike racks!) I've got a Mini Heki in the front half of the van, and a Fiamma Turbo Vent further back which also acts as an extractor fan for the cooker. Kitchen area has a huge brushed aluminium splashback covering the entire wall (well, it will when we fix it in place later today), the ceiling is insulated with Celotex insulation boards partly held up with Sticks Like Sh*t adhesive and partly with the expanding foam I filled every gap with (unfortunately this has caused squeaking against bulkhead so I don't overly recommend using such!) the ceiling is ply-lined, walled are acrylic-lined, and I'm carpeting a chunk of the walls an ceiling with the remainder painted gloss blue ... unfortunately I won't finish the painting before heading to Holland -> Belgium -> Luxemboug -> Germany -> Austria -> Italy -> France but otherwise it's looking good and I'll do the finishing touches when I'm back in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back