Dealer Advice (1 Viewer)

amber

Free Member
Mar 17, 2010
Funster No
A big hello to all you experienced motor home buyers and users.....dealer advice needed
As newbies we are looking to buy our first motor home and have been getting a few quotes for a couple of vans on our shortlist
In both instances Discover Leisure has been the cheapest quote by at least £1000 on these vans which are below £40K
When we have approached other dealers and mentioned this they have warned us off buying from Discover
Both dealers saying you should always buy from a family run motorhome dealer for better after sales service with one then saying they didn't
think Discover would be in business much longer and the other saying you should buy from a company with better finacial stability
Could you please offer your advice or experiences on the above?
How many of you have actually bought from Discover and would you recommend them or not?
Have you had any warranty work carried out by them, good or bad?

Many Thanx in advance Amber ::bigsmile:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Have not used discover so can only comment on threads already posted.Most dealers you will have to chase to get work done if needed.There are good dealers out there but sadly i have yet to find one.
John cross have a good reputation but sadly to far for me.You dident say where about in the country you are based?
Dave

Upvote 0

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
there is a dealer on here that seems very helpful, ive not even bought anything from them and they have helped me lots so if was you i would see what john cross motorhomes have in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
I've said it before, so all old hands please go to the next post, but I think JC is an excellent outfit.

Senior Partner and I went there, a year ago, right after the show at the NEC, saying "we're not buying yet, we just want to learn about MHs." (Don't cheat, it's better to be upfront.) They spent over 2 hours showing us various sizes and layouts, discussing pros and cons with us about what we thought we wanted to do, what our budget was, what experience we had (lots of camping, which is how we knew them) etc etc.

One bit of good advice they gave was that all modern MHs work, and are mechanically more or less as good as each other. (I've had quite a bit of motorsporting fun, so this was useful) They said that the way we'd use a van, the interior decor would be very important - and you can't change that once you've bought.

We were lucky. A van absolutely identical to the one we thought bestat Johns Cross came up on e-bay and didn't sell, so we bought it after the auction. It really is good to live in, fine to drive. It sailed through the MOT today, too, with no work except new tyres since the old ones had plenty of tread but were time expired, so we got these done first.

You've made a good start with this outfit! Most of us are mad slightly unconventional, but it's not a formal requirement of Jim Lad. There are even real live experts here.

Good luck, let us all know how you get on.

Upvote 0

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
amber it would be helpful if we new the area you lived in .
my experience with dealers is .its a gamble with them all.
used large and small they are all the same.
every new van needs warantee work ,sometime parts are there next day sometimes it takes a year .in the end buy from the company you don't have to travel to far to and you feel happy with .

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
amber it would be helpful if we new the area you lived in .
my experience with dealers is .its a gamble with them all.
used large and small they are all the same.
every new van needs warantee work ,sometime parts are there next day sometimes it takes a year .in the end buy from the company you don't have to travel to far to and you feel happy with .

Good advice there, only comment I would make that it is not normally a gamble buying off us.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
wish you were near to me peter .you would get my vote for your hard work and all your good advice .wish there were more like you.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back