Any way around the 4 week limit abroad for benefits claimants? (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Hi.

My partner currently receives a disability benefit. I have recently discovered that, as from 1st April 2016, and as a requirement of her disability benefit, she can only go abroad for a maximum of 4 weeks in any one trip. We would have liked an extended holiday. Does anyone know of any way around the 4 week per trip limit, please?

Thanks.
Freo

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Hi. Many thanks for your response.
My apologies, but I should have pointed out that my partner is over 65, and the rules seem to be a bit different for people over working age. As far as I can discern, the 4 week rule would appear to apply to her PIP benefit. I am wondering if there is any way of getting around this limit since we would like to tour within the EU for a few months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think that Gail Ourcampersbeentrashed spent an extended holiday in France a couple of years ago (certainly it was being planned) so it would be interesting to see how they got on WRT bennies

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Don't tell them you are away, again, again. :rofl:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not that it concerns me but how would they know ?

I have heard tell that when you’re pass port is swiped it registers you leaving and your return so in any dispute it can be proven your out of the country and they do check.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It gets worse...
If claiming unemployment benefit you HAVE to inform them if you leave your OWN TOWN for a single day even if it's for a hospital appointment, court appearance or job interview.
If you aren't there you aren't available for work.
Another reason why, although I'm unemployed, I aren't claiming benefits.
Sick of jumping through their ever heightening hoops for £72 a week.

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Many thanks to all who replied. Your help is greatly appreciated. Earlier today, I read the UK Government's draft proposals for consultation for PIP from February 2016 and they seemed to be proposing a 4 week limit. (Didn't bookmark it, and can't find it now. Grrrr.) However, from the links provided above, this does, indeed, appear to be 13 weeks - or 26 weeks if going abroad for 'medical treatment'.
Next question, does winter in the sun qualify as 'medical treatment' for arthritis sufferers? :D2
Thanks, again, everyone. The info provided is very helpful.
Cheers, Freo.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Either ill person or carer can claim. I should know as I claim to care for my wife who has Severe PTSD. Maybe it was as you say in the past.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back