Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome,I'm newly a Solo and I have also jus joined a group called The Phoenix campers and there are a few of them going down To Spain soon for around 6 weeks at a time that I'm thinking of joining them as I am now a member.
My one question is,how do you use the tolls if you are a right hand drive vehicle?
You can't park close to the barrier so that it can recognize you and then get out and pay,then get back in and drive.
I have only used these as a couple and I've reached out and paid while he drove.

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome,I'm newly a Solo and I have also jus joined a group called The Phoenix campers and there are a few of them going down To Spain soon for around 6 weeks at a time that I'm thinking of joining them as I am now a member.
My one question is,how do you use the tolls if you are a right hand drive vehicle?
You can't park close to the barrier so that it can recognize you and then get out and pay,then get back in and drive.
I have only used these as a couple and I've reached out and paid while he drove.
Sounds great welsh girl.
I just get out and walk round. I usually put my hazards on when I approach the toll to let others know it might take a bit of time and then They usually join other queues.

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks jillytots. That's a good tip, putting your hazards on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Another thumbs up for the dog idea, not for everyone but great for conversations. My half hour walk sometimes takes 3 hours, conversations cover all topics, dog rarely joins in just sits and watches. I often end up with the dog in other peoples motorhomes or caravans as they always seem to want to show off their possessions.

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks jillytots. That's a good tip, putting your hazards on.
If only someone could tell me how to fill up my water tank without it getting to overflow point , it’s caused me a problem once when someone called the tourist police as they thought I was discharging grey waste..:eek:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If only someone could tell me how to fill up my water tank without it getting to overflow point , it’s caused me a problem once when someone called the tourist police as they thought I was discharging grey waste..:eek:
The only thing I can say is, run it till empty then only fill from a container then you can tell how much is in there once you find out how much the tank holds?
Mine holds 80 litres so would he a bit of a pain carrying that back and forth from a tap.
So I just carry on filling from a tap and not worry about what people think!!!

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, when I went to Twin Lakes in September, I just got out and paid but some of the ladies had toll cards which they had organised before leaving Britain. I'm sure @Cal54 would advise you on that.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, when I went to Twin Lakes in September, I just got out and paid but some of the ladies had toll cards which they had organised before leaving Britain. I'm sure @Cal54 would advise you on that.
Thanks Audrey. Hope you are settling in OK, it's not too nice here today, raining , I went to Andover on the bus yesterday, it looks as if it deserves another visit on a nice day, couldn't risk coming back later as it was a Sunday and the buses don't run too late on Sundays!

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
The only thing I can say is, run it till empty then only fill from a container then you can tell how much is in there once you find out how much the tank holds?
Mine holds 80 litres so would he a bit of a pain carrying that back and forth from a tap.
So I just carry on filling from a tap and not worry about what people think!!!

Yes, at the time my first year in France I didn’t know the word for overflow then ( do now) but I have to say the tourist police as usual were lovely :D they weren’t bothered.In fact the complainers looked rather foolish as one of them had been saying that the water smelt , only for me to tell the police it was clean water

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
That might be helpful to some.
Always remember online safety though.
Not sure how that would work.
Bearing in mind it’s not advisable to swop too much info on the net

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
I travel solo almost all the time and use https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/ works perfectly and even allows you through the 30kmh lane with the trucks.

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
Hi I am going south santander to the algarve in January 13 I dread the thought of spending 3/4 mths with out speaking to a single brit. Hope to bump into a few brits. I intend to drive back up to malaga and God knows where else. Any one else about in santander on the 14th January give me a shout. Kjack

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Err? I always travel solo, so I just stop at the toll machine, walk round the front of my RHD camper, take a ticket (or insert ticket and pay).
It works a treat every time!
That is a great idea! I really struggled climbing across the passenger seat and nearly dislocated my shoulders trying to pay! Also as soon as I clambered onto the passenger seat my dog moved to the drivers seat. I'm always concerned that the barrier might come back down before I've moved off.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Err? I always travel solo, so I just stop at the toll machine, walk round the front of my RHD camper, take a ticket (or insert ticket and pay).
It works a treat every time!

Exactly what I do. I also hit the hazard light button when entering the toll booth lane. A note of caution is I heard of someone getting a ticket from the police in France for not switching his engine off before leaving the vehicle at the toll booth.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
T'aint rocket science @Aly1 . Take your time and don't feel under any pressure. The barrier isn't timed but will remain up or open until a vehicle clears the toll bay. If it was timed to stay up for a predetermined period folk could nip through after you. I don't bother with the Hazard lights as toll areas usually have approach warnings and huge overhead gantries to give following drivers a big clue that you are going to stop......as they will have to anyway. I'm usually stopped for only seconds longer than a French driver of a L/H drive vehicle faffing about in their pockets to find ticket/credit card/cash.........suppositories.......so have never switched th'engine off.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've all this to come ...im heading over Jan 12th solo to Spain and Portugal for 12 months , I've been soloing in the UK since August and can honestly count on one hand the amount of other motorhomers I've spoke to , I figured it was a British thing

But when I had my vw campers everyone spoke to me.

They say that travelling is best done alone as it forces you to talk to strangers more than you would if you were with friends or partners.

I have found this to be true when holidaying in the past , I went to gran canaria alone in January and I spoke to lots of people in the hotel and in bars etc

I returned in October with a friend and we tended to stick together most of the time.

I'm hoping I'll make some acquaintances on my travels but not fussed if it's other motorhome owners or not .....ill be going round bars and warehouses etc looking for work also as I hope to move over there permanently so I'll be making a big effort

Also relying on social media to help as a few sites I'm on for other reasons have social groups all over the world so that will help me.

I'll also be looking for a cute Spanish seniorita when I'm out there :p

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I've all this to come ...im heading over Jan 12th solo to Spain and Portugal for 12 months , I've been soloing in the UK since August and can honestly count on one hand the amount of other motorhomers I've spoke to , I figured it was a British thing

But when I had my vw campers everyone spoke to me.

They say that travelling is best done alone as it forces you to talk to strangers more than you would if you were with friends or partners.

I have found this to be true when holidaying in the past , I went to gran canaria alone in January and I spoke to lots of people in the hotel and in bars etc

I returned in October with a friend and we tended to stick together most of the time.

I'm hoping I'll make some acquaintances on my travels but not fussed if it's other motorhome owners or not .....ill be going round bars and warehouses etc looking for work also as I hope to move over there permanently so I'll be making a big effort

Also relying on social media to help as a few sites I'm on for other reasons have social groups all over the world so that will help me.

I'll also be looking for a cute Spanish seniorita when I'm out there :p

Be careful of them flamenco dancers,, their sneaky buggers!!! Xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back