Making the transition (1 Viewer)

stuhaynes

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
As many of you know from previous posts, I live on a boat and have done for almost 10 years. I have a 40 year 'habit', which is camping and have spent time (but not enough) using a couple of MH's.

There is a real connection between Motorhomes and boats, particularly if you intend to spend most of your time 'aboard'. When you leave bricks and mortar behind you have to say goodbye to a lot of 'stuff'. There simply isn't room for everything, so hard choices have to be made. Another boat / MH connection is that it is vital that you are able to keep warm. As with boats many MH users only exercise their hobby in a maximum of 3 seasons, leaving well alone in winter generally. As with a boat you need to be sure that there is a decent level of insulation. Lack of effective insulation leads to streaming condensation and a choice of massive heating costs or freezing temperatures.

I'd be tempted to heat your space with Webasto or Eberspecher. Lots of these can be configured to provide hot water as well as hot air heating. If your vehicle is big enough I'd be tempted to fit a spare fuel tank specifically to store red disel for the heater. Many supermarkets sell it and it's much cheaper than white road diesel. Do not be tempted to run your engine with it, the fines are horrendous.

If you do take the plunge I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we've enjoyed the last 10 years on our boat.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If your vehicle is big enough I'd be tempted to fit a spare fuel tank specifically to store red disel for the heater.

Not many of us with that luxury, we worry about how many bottles of wine we can carry and some of us how many spare knickers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back