Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Hi, Off to Europe for about three months via Holland on 15th April, hoping to spend at least a month in France in June. We have been to France many times before but always with only a 2/3 week window, so stayed on sites. We have the French passion book, and the Aires book. The thing that confuses us with the Aires is that you can't apparently evan put a chair out and sit outside? I can understand all the awnings etc, but if you aren't allowed to sit out what can you do? We love basic CL & CS in Britain without electric, is there anything like this in France and Germany? Regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The thing that confuses us with the Aires is that you can't apparently evan put a chair out and sit outside? I can understand all the awnings etc, but if you aren't allowed to sit out what can you do? We love basic CL & CS in Britain without electric, is there anything like this in France and Germany? Regards

Mnay aires are great and you can sit out on your chair , even have a barbie, they vary enormously , from little more than a car park to grassy sites by the beach or a lake..
. see my pics of aires...
Link Removed

these and many other great aires can be found on my Google map. see link in Signature

and how about this for a 'busy' aire in Brittany
Link Removed

or this one near Royan

Link Removed

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have only been to one or two Aires in France where you could not sit out and these were in town centers or had no room to sit out. Follow the natives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Aires

Hi we have the Bord atlas that lists the Stellplatz that are available in Germany there is also one that covers the rest of Europe with a few listed in France.We used it last January in Germany and Austria and found it usefull.

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
From our experience of French aires the large majority are quite free and easy, as has been mentioned act as you find. If there is charge, please pay it, if everyone follows the example of getting something for nothing there will be fewer aires in future.
We love aires.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We sit out......we B.B.Q...we have the canopy out.........but if the site is full and other motorhomers need to park...then no.......But I have not been on many Aries that are full....there are a couple I can recall both on the coast, the reason they are very very popular that was St Valery en Caux...not always but most of the time squeezed tight.....and Honfleur but as I say not always.......most of the time people come in the evening and out again in the morning....so you will have all day to sunbathe :Doh::thumb:

I agree with Gogocrosby...If there is charge, please pay it, if everyone follows the example of getting something for nothing there will be fewer aires in future....don't do what the French do come in late and leave early without paying..(well it is there country?)

We love aires too.

Mel

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If it is busy and you have a space next to you if you have anything outside your van it can make it terribly difficult for people to turn into the next space esp when arsey people put their awning legs exactly halfway across the line dividing the pitches. Saw that done at La Palmyre, hardly fair esp when it was absolutely jam packed and you did each only have about 2ft 6ins either side to the line.

This was good because of doors being opposite sides, we had 5 or 6 ft between us and next door, we each had our tables and chairs out, their toddler could trike up and down with plenty of supervision! whoever go back from the beach first (or whoever had one!!) stuck their awning out across whole gap. The latter happened at Le Mans too.

I dream of an aire like that Jim, we'll find it in our own time!!!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Sedge

Dont you ever have a word with these folks and if so what is their reaction

Jim
:Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Basically mate - No Fear!!!

We were there (on and off LOL) for two days and didn't see em. Ditto the ones who parked diagonally across 2 spaces on the aire at Azay le Rideau. And in any event I don't believe my school French is sufficient to be cutting, my Italian and German even less. And we weren't trying to park next to em, there were other spaces we were quite happy with when we arrived each time. In English, idiots like them would have most likely stated the obvious, if you don't need to park here what's your problem and the equally obvious answer Well I'm just pointing out you are an anti-social a'hole quite probably won't really have a great deal of effect, plus knowing our fortune we'd prolly discover our tyres let down next time we walked away from our own van.

Whilst Aires that have a ticket machine are jolly useful, if no-one official with the appropriate 'authority' patrols - we are a bit stuck - that's the whole community - with d'heads like this aren't we?

But if you wanted to get up a posse next time - I'll happily offer to hold ALL the coats!!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
ALL THESE PHOTOS I HAVE PUT ON ARE IN FRANCE

These are some of the aires we have been and as you can see you could put your canopy out ....some you have your own individual bays.......and my legs for the canopy is fixed to the motorhome so I can wind it in to whatever length required so it not create a problem or wind it in altogether .......and as you can see very empty ??? so what is the problem.....just think of other people on the Aire if the Aire was fillng up...but we have never had that problem,

Attachments

• france aires 1094.jpg
    france aires 1094.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 59
  • france aires 1150.jpg
    france aires 1150.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 53
  • P6180022.jpg
    P6180022.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P6190072.jpg
    P6190072.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 59
  • P6140039.jpg
    P6140039.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
These are some of the aires we have been and as you can see you could put your canopy out ....some you have your own individual bays.......and my legs for the canopy is fixed to the motorhome so I can wind it in to whatever length required so it not create a problem or wind it in altogether .......and as you can see very empty ??? so what is the problem.....just think of other people on the Aire if the Aire was fillng up...but we have never had that problem,

Smashing looking aires Mel.. :thumb:

have you made a Google map of your favourite aires ?

cheers

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
These are some of the aires we have been and as you can see you could put your canopy out ....some you have your own individual bays..............and as you can see very empty ??? so what is the problem.....just think of other people on the Aire if the Aire was fillng up...but we have never had that problem.........just enjoy your holiday

Attachments

• Calaise2 016.jpg
    Calaise2 016.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Calaise2 014.jpg
    Calaise2 014.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 43
  • P6080129.jpg
    P6080129.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Copy of P6040010.jpg
    Copy of P6040010.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Germany now into France 31-08-09.Corgirnon & Froncles 15 sept 09 056.jpg
    Germany now into France 31-08-09.Corgirnon & Froncles 15 sept 09 056.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 39

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Smashing looking aires Mel.. :thumb:

have you made a Google map of your favourite aires ?

cheers

OOOPs Jim that is not my department...I just drive where I am told!! you know what I mean:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Mel - smashing photos of the aires. Is it something you said ? There never seems to be anyone for miles ::bigsmile: I bet it's not as uncrowded when we are in Northern France in June & July :Sad:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Most of these sites was free....."but I did have to pay 5 euros on two " ah....one of those Aires, water was free, Aire was free, electric was free and a smashing clean toilet block with wash room free.......Mmmmm..What is the problem:thumb::thumb:

Mel

Attachments

• Germany now into France 31-08-09.Corgirnon & Froncles 15 sept 09 049.jpg
    Germany now into France 31-08-09.Corgirnon & Froncles 15 sept 09 049.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Germany now into France 31-08-09.Corgirnon & Froncles 15 sept 09 011.jpg
    Germany now into France 31-08-09.Corgirnon & Froncles 15 sept 09 011.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 34
  • french trip October 2009 873.jpg
    french trip October 2009 873.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 33
  • french trip October 2009 884.jpg
    french trip October 2009 884.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 33
  • french trip October 2009 897.jpg
    french trip October 2009 897.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 32

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Thanks for the photo's

I don't know why but I always thought aires would be like a car park or autoroute service area, I never realised how pleasant they could be.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
These are some of the aires we have been and as you can see you could put your canopy out ....some you have your own individual bays..............and as you can see very empty ??? so what is the problem.....just think of other people on the Aire if the Aire was fillng up...but we have never had that problem.........just enjoy your holiday

Mel - smashing photos of the aires. Is it something you said ? There never seems to be anyone for miles ::bigsmile: I bet it's not as uncrowded when we are in Northern France in June & July :Sad:

Hi...Delwood.. these Aires have been taken all over france and at different times of the year from April to october...some are northern..I have many many more..I think you will be suprised June should not be a problem July...well we don't find it a problem....maybe on campsites YES the french also like all the extras swimming pool restaraunt.....never worry as there is another Aire just around the corner...many many not in the books :thumb:

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks for the photo's

I don't know why but I always thought aires would be like a car park or autoroute service area, I never realised how pleasant they could be.

Greg...some are but just think most of them type of aires are in a town so you can shop

I have just back from Portugal.Mmm least said the better....but coming back I called in a town square in one village Beautiful...free toilets and wash room, free electric and water.....if I get time I will a photo on just at the side of the aire the walls had been painted to look real life(there is name for it ) beautiful.

Mel:Cool:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks for the photo's

Greg.... what you are saying is correct if you are going straight down to the MED south of France on motorways..........come off and see france enjoy your Holiday:thumb:

Mel

Attachments

• February return from Portugal 2010 003.jpg
    February return from Portugal 2010 003.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 28
  • February return from Portugal 2010 004.jpg
    February return from Portugal 2010 004.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 28
  • February return from Portugal 2010 002.jpg
    February return from Portugal 2010 002.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 25
  • February return from Portugal 2010 016.jpg
    February return from Portugal 2010 016.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 27
  • February return from Portugal 2010 012.jpg
    February return from Portugal 2010 012.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 28

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Some great photos Mel :thumb:, I think I only recognise St Clements des Levees (fantastic view over the river whilst sitting in your van) - where are the others?

My photos are not quality photos like yours Neil, I will get the wife to put names to them:thumb:

Mel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for the photo's

A common misconception, but don't spread the word.. we like em quiet :winky:
There are four classifications :

ASV.bmp
Aires de Services .. the ones shown in the pics
ACV.bmp
Aires sur Campings .. Municipal sites
APV.bmp
Aires de Parking.. Parking
AAV.bmp
Aires sur Autoroutes .. Good for day time stops but due to break-ins best avoided for overnight stops .. !

if you check on Camping Car Infos ( my favourite aires guide ) they have a full explantion and great listings with photos.. and TomTom GPS POIS to download

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
A common misconception, but don't spread the word.. we like em quiet :winky:
There are four classifications :

ASV.bmp
Aires de Services .. the ones shown in the pics
ACV.bmp
Aires sur Campings .. Municipal sites
APV.bmp
Aires de Parking.. Parking
AAV.bmp
Aires sur Autoroutes .. Good for day time stops but due to break-ins best avoided for overnight stops .. !

if you check on Camping Car Infos ( my favourite aires guide ) they have a full explantion and great listings with photos.. and TomTom GPS POIS to download

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Don't tell everybody keep em quite nods as good as a wink :censored:2:whistle::yeah::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Iv'e looked at the camping car site a few times Jim but never get very far with it because of the language.

Are the aires signposted before you get to the town/village or do you have to drive into a spot and then look for the signs.

I have a horror of driving into a small town/ village and having to drive around forever looking for an aires that my not even be there :whatthe:

Jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Iv'e looked at the camping car site a few times Jim but never get very far with it because of the language.

Are the aires signposted before you get to the town/village or do you have to drive into a spot and then look for the signs.

I have a horror of driving into a small town/ village and having to drive around forever looking for an aires that my not even be there :whatthe:

Jim

Hi Jim

To enter site

click on this button on the home page ..
entrez.gif

then on the left see ..Les aires camping-car and click on first button which takes you to the French map with the departments
Click on a dept. then look at the listings, they all have GPS CO ORDs which can be copy pasted into Google maps where you can then see the aire on street view

hth

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Jim

Jim
Most Aires are signed going into or in the village.....I have never found a problem as most of the time you are going steady through the village you have plenty of time to see the sign

But also as you travel along the roads in France you will signs giving directions at the side of the road (of a motorhome above what looks like a sump)....meaning a drop off point...but that is not always the case...we was traveling from one Aire to another we had programmed into the sat nav but we needed some fresh water so we saw this sign and followed it two miles up the road a nice quite village and church...followed the sign around the houses around the church past the community hall and then into this lovely orchard cherries apples pears, grass and tarmac.....water ...electricity...waste water....tennis courts..this was all free...what more could want, had our lunch filled with water and onto the Aire we had planned.

So now many times now we have followed the signs....I am affraid they are not in the book........just meander through France

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Some great photos Mel :thumb:, I think I only recognise St Clements des Levees (fantastic view over the river whilst sitting in your van) - where are the others?

Neil.....yes you was correct on St Clements des Levees
some of the others
Caumonte sur Garonne
Moulimes
St Front la Riviere
St Clements
Tardinghen
Frontenac
Froncles
Gastes
Bourdeilles

Most of them in the book ...BUT don't always go on the picture in the book JIM (madbluemad) it all depends who took the picture when they took it e.g what year what time of the year and of course Aires get a facelift........use the book as a benchmark ....some we are struggerling to remember

Mel:thumb:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
My photos are not quality photos like yours Neil, I will get the wife to put names to them:thumb:

Mel

Actually I think your photos are great :thumb: but thanks anyway :Blush:

The post you showed the wall mural pictures in, is of the aire at Chaunay - the painted man sitting on the bench is the man who owns the house its painted on! We recognised him as he came out in the morning :Smile:. Free wifi in the bar opposite which is run by a Scottish lady - tried to ask her about the wifi in my best French before I realised she spoke English :Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Actually I think your photos are great :thumb: but thanks anyway :Blush:

The post you showed the wall mural pictures in, is of the aire at Chaunay - the painted man sitting on the bench is the man who owns the house its painted on! We recognised him as he came out in the morning :Smile:. Free wifi in the bar opposite which is run by a Scottish lady - tried to ask her about the wifi in my best French before I realised she spoke English :Doh:

Correct again Neil :thumb:
Mel

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Brilliant site ScotJimland, as always in these matters, you the man.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back