david32

Free Member
Jul 23, 2008
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
C/B
Exp
I bought a new Auto sleeper C /B M/H in November 2009 and i thought you might like to
know about a problem i have with sleeping on the upholstery of this M/H. After only using
the M/H 5 times from new and only at weekends i fine that sleeping on the upholstery
i get very bad skin rashes + itching all over my body this will last for most of the day.
When i get home on Sunday night by Monday afternoon its away i went to see my doctor about it and he tells me that it is the chemicals used in the flame retardant foam
that is giving me the rash and to stop sleeping on it as the longer i use it this will build up in my body and it will then take longer for my body to heal . My notorhoms:Blush: for the last 6 years
all have been Rapido or Hymer and i have had no trouble with sleeping on the overhead bed. So to see if the doctor is right last weekend i put my silverscreen down on top
of the upholstery them my sleeping bag on top of that and next morning on rash or itching all OK just thought you would like to know about my problem.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thats a bit annoying for you, but better to have flame resistant foam IMO.
Why don't you get a memory foam mattress topper to put over the existing bed. It would be a lot more comfortable than the silver screen thats for sure. You would be able to leave it on as well , under a fitted sheet.
Bev

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi david do you have anything over the upholstery, sheets or covers etc ?

If so may be the washing power/tabs, I had a terrible problem with shirts and under wear, turned out to be the washing tabs and conditioner. Now use fairy sensitive and give the washing powder draw on the machine a good going over now all ok.

Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

david32

Free Member
Jul 23, 2008
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
C/B
Exp
No never had a problem before once i used the silver screen to lie on all was ok

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Don't take this the wrong way, but would a incontinence sheet over the mattress help?

Doug...

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Hi david do you have anything over the upholstery, sheets or covers etc ?

If so may be the washing power/tabs, I had a terrible problem with shirts and under wear, turned out to be the washing tabs and conditioner. Now use fairy sensitive and give the washing powder draw on the machine a good going over now all ok.

Roy

Yes I had exact same problem, cant use cheapo bath products either and forget swimming pools with chlorine. :cry:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You said no problem with your previous Rapido or Hymer, I think you will find it is only the UK manufacturers that use Fire Retardant Foam.

OP
OP
D

david32

Free Member
Jul 23, 2008
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
C/B
Exp
With the Hymer or Rapido the mattress is something like memory foam in the Auto Sleeper you lie on a upholstery foam and this where the fault lies. My doctor tell me that
he would see this type of rash from fire retardant foam about four times a year by the way he had to send me for a test. So when the result came back and i started to use
the silver screen on the first weekend after the test all was ok so on Tuesday night i sleeped in the M/H on my driveway without the silver screen under me and Wednesday morning i had the rash and itched all over. My wife wants me to buy a mattress topper for me to lie on but it be a west of money as this is sprayed with a
fire retardant so it be £100 wasted .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
David,
could you put a well washed ( in non bio powder :winky: ) double sleeping bag , over your bed then, under a fitted sheet.
As long as its thick , i wouldn't think the flame retardant fumes would come through. That or a child's rubber backed toweling mattress protector.
If all else fails you will have to sell up and buy an older model , which didn't have the flame retardant foam.
Bev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back