Jun 9, 2009
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since April 2009.
Hi All :whatthe:

I am due to have the motorhome serviced and have been phoning around to obtain several quotes. My daughter's friend works for the local Fiat dealer and has quoted £138.67 for a low milage service. £234 for a full service (air & fuel filters).

They also stated that I should have my cam belt replaced. They said that the belt should be changed every 72,000 miles or five years.

My vehicle is on 21,000 miles, but is just over five years old. Is this due to the rubber belt perishing and should I follow their advice. It seems very low milage to have a cam belt replaced. They have quoted £257.81 to replace the cam belt including vat.

All the prices are with staff discount.

Am I getting a good deal !!

Kind Regards

Green Machine

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Its correct to have a cam belt done after 70,000 miles, or 5 years. Used for 70,000 miles the belt will probably be wearing, and 5 years the belt will probably be tired. If you were to have the thing snap, you can add a lot of money to the quote. £250 odd pounds for a belt change is very reasonable. l would certainly have it done. The heartache, and cost to repair the engine after a breakage is unimaginable, not to mention the inconvenience, and the cost of recovery.

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I agree with simsy, i had a cam belt snap, it cost me around £3000 for a new engine. My m/h had done 35000 miles and 5 yrs old, Fiat Ducato 2.8idtd.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My vehicle is on 21,000 miles, but is just over five years old. Is this due to the rubber belt perishing and should I follow their advice. It seems very low milage to have a cam belt replaced. They have quoted £257.81 to replace the cam belt including vat.
Green Machine

Get it done TOMORROW.

Ours was 14,000 miles and 5 years. Belt like new but one of the pulleys was about to collapse. So the probably the best £250 you'll ever spend. A fair price.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
prices seem ok and I would advise definetly having cambelt done. Make sure the tensioner is replaced at same time, reputable garages would not replace cambelt only so most likely included in price. If cambelt breaks or tensioner siezes then engine is wrecked - we have seen many instances of this & repair costs £000's and bear in mind it would possibky happen at the most inconvenient time!

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
sorry if a bit thick but does a 2005 mercedes 2.7 sprintshift have a cam belt not got my service books with me

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Even with staff discount
The price quoted for a low mileage service is what you should be paying for a full service including parts filters etc
I would be suspicious of £250 for a cam belt at that price from Fiat, it probably is just the belt they have quoted for
£250 is what you should pay for a full cam belt kit inc tensioner and idler pulleys
The prices I quote are available at almost any independent garage, Unless you live in London
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
sorry if a bit thick but does a 2005 mercedes 2.7 sprintshift have a cam belt not got my service books with me
Sprint Shift is not a recognised model
if you mean a Sprinter with the 216 cdI, 316 cdI, 416cdI, 616cdI Engines
Then they are all chain driven
Geo

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Thats right, l forgot to mention that you should have the tensioner and idler pulleys replaced with the belt. If they are included in the quote, thats a good price.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010

I am due to have the motorhome serviced and have been phoning around to obtain several quotes. My daughter's friend works for the local Fiat dealer and has quoted £138.67 for a low milage service. £234 for a full service (air & fuel filters).

They also stated that I should have my cam belt replaced. They said that the belt should be changed every 72,000 miles or five years.

All the prices are with staff discount

just had cam belt changed and full service by independent garage in kent total cost £640 so your quote is good or probably i have been ripped off again

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

All the prices are with staff discount

just had cam belt changed and full service by independent garage in kent total cost £640 so your quote is good or probably i have been ripped off again

wow That my friend is a lorra lorra dosh..

my belt was done a few weeks ago for £250+vat inclusive of full kit. Even adding £200 for a service (which is expensive) your price does sound excessive, sorry:Blush:

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I found out about candmauto.co.uk on another site and had a look, have been in touch and they have quoted £199 for belt change complete with rollers etc. Apparently they charge this price across the range of Fiats on the basis that some you win and some you lose - they also carry out all service work.

Although we live on the Isle of Wight we will be on the mainland in April and May (joining you at Peterborough) and have sorted the itinerary to take in Lancaster to let them do the work. They also have parking with services for the MH and offer a courtesy car.

Well worth a look at their web page if you can get to the address without too many additional miles.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
wow That my friend is a lorra lorra dosh..

my belt was done a few weeks ago for £250+vat inclusive of full kit. Even adding £200 for a service (which is expensive) your price does sound excessive, sorry:Blush:
Sorry but I don't think £200 is expensive for a service which includes all the filters. Usual labour time is at least 2 hrs - takes 1/2 that to remove wheels and check/clean/adjust brakes etc!!! + oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter.
I'm not saying charge the earth but don't forget the old saying "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys"

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Also remeber at Fiat or any main dealer for £200 you get low milage service :RollEyes:
oil and filter and top up fluids thats yer lot no wheels off, Probably no wheels off on a full dealer service (they say every thing is self adjusting):Doh:
Pay good pea nuts, you get good monkeys:winky:
Better than paying for Gorrilas and getting chimps:cry:
Geo

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
Cam belt and Service Costs

Just had a full service, cam belts and m. o. t, on a Hymer a class, £360 brilliant man.

seariderab

Free Member
Jan 20, 2010
Funster No
cambelts

just been quoted £ 63 81+vat belt +tensioner kit fiat 2.8tdi year 2000 to buy not fitted

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Be very wary of cheap pattern parts:cry:
this is one area you cant skimp on:whatthe:
Were paying around £80 -£90 trade for Gates or equivalent kit and were paying that for our own protection I can get £50 kits too but don't:Doh:

captmike

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Cambs & S. Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Belt and tensioner is definitely not something to be skimped as I have recently learned the hard way. As the third or fourth owner (I'm not actually sure) of a 9 year old Hymer B694 I'm not precisely sure about its service history although most of the invoices are present and there seems to have been a belt change some 4 years ago. However I don't know about the tensioner.

About 3 weeks ago we were driving to the UK and about 170km south of Calais there was a loud thump on the right side of the engine and suddenly no power. This was on the motorway with heavy snow falling. Anyway the van is eventually repatriated to a Fiat Professional dealer near where we live courtesy of Safeguard insurance and they tell me the timing belt broke, the tensioner pulley had sheared off the retaining stud, broken the cover and damaged the crank sensor and radiator. After fixing/replacing those things they found the valves had contacted the pistons, which I guess is inevitable, so new valves and valve guides were necessary together with head machining.

Total cost nearly £4300 most of which is labour as the engine is so inaccessible on a Hymer A class.

So if in doubt, change the belt and pulley with proper, reliable bits!

Cheers from a chastened (and poorer)

Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Total cost nearly £4300 most of which is labour as the engine is so inaccessible on a Hymer A class.
Mike

OUCH.

Isn't that terrible, you could nearly buy a new car for that. They'd throw in a new engine too.

At £50 an hour that's 86 hours = 12 days. They don't work fast just to do a head.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

All the prices are with staff discount.

Am I getting a good deal !!
It's a good example of how lack of use cost money....effectively you've 'lost' 51,000 miles of happy touring!

Personally I would shop around your locality a bit more and try and find a good 'independent'. For my Transit I use a small one man business. He's Ford trained and previously worked for Ford main dealers before setting up on his own. Thats the type of guy you need. Go to your Fiat dealer and you are also paying for the fancy carpet in the showroom and all the dolly bird secretaries!

HWO

Free Member
Jan 25, 2010
Funster No
Hi all
I thought the Fiat handbook recommend 4 years and not 5 years.
HWO

captmike

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Cambs & S. Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
OUCH.

Isn't that terrible, you could nearly buy a new car for that. They'd throw in a new engine too.

At £50 an hour that's 86 hours = 12 days. They don't work fast just to do a head.

£75 an hour + VAT they're charging. It was OUCH for me too when I heard the labour rate! What can you do when you're stuck at the French recovery company's depot on a Saturday afternoon and need to specify a place for the MH to be delivered to? I chose the nearest Fiat Professional dealer. Those are their rates.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Probably no wheels off on a full dealer service (they say every thing is self adjusting):Doh:

that, Geo, is why i do my own servicing....

everything in there may be self adjusting....if it aint siezed....and the only way to know for sure is whip the wheels and drums off and how do you clean out the brake crap and lube the adjusters with the drums on.... ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back