Does anyone know about Driving licence law? (1 Viewer)

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Our MoHo is registered max permissible mass 3500 but our revenue weight has been increased to 3650.
My driving "licence at the moment" hasn't got a C1 entitlement .... long story....
Can I drive her or not? :(
Thanks everyone! :xblush:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Bad question, but how old are you ? A licence before 1997,I think gives you grandfather rights of 7500kg. I think. Mine did anyway, but had to take another test, because ours is 10500kg. :)

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Just googled this:
Licence
requirements. The licence you need to drive a motorhome depends on your age and the vehicle's maximum authorised mass ( MAM ). This is the vehicle's weight plus the maximum load it can carry. To drive a motorhome with a MAM of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C1 licence.
Hope it helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Thanks for being helpful everyone... but I know all of the above... As I said "my driving "licence at the moment" hasn't got a C1 entitlement .... the long story is I am old enough to have the entitlement but I had an op on my brain and had to stop driving for 6 months when I got it back it didn't have the C1 on it. The maximum authorised mass is only 3500 its the extra revenue weight I'm asking about. Very grateful for all your reply's though...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like it has been uprated, when you apply to DVLA to uprate they increase the Revenue weight but never bother with the MAM on the last van took 4 months for them to get it right.
Answer to your question No, UK goes by the Revenue weight.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You need to ask DVLA if they will reinstate it, but I know that when certain grandfathered categories were inadvertently left off of re-issued driving licences a few years ago, their stance was that you had to pass a test to reacquire the category.

How did you go about acquiring an increased revenue weight? Revenue weight and MAM are or should be the same thing, just different terms in differing pieces of legislation. If the van has a MAM of 3500kgs, then it shouldn't have a revenue weight over that figure, or vice versa.

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Thanks that's exactly what we need ed to know. I have to get doctors agreement etc to get it put back on... Seems madness as I had it before. Oh well here goes.... Thank u

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How did you go about acquiring an increased revenue weight? Revenue weight and MAM are or should be the same thing, just different terms in differing pieces of legislation. If the van has a MAM of 3500kgs, then it shouldn't have a revenue weight over that figure, or vice versa.
Read my post above.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yes, I realise that Lenny. Just thought it would help clarify the situation if @TerriSpirit explained exactly what process they had been through to arrive at the situation they described.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes, I realise that Lenny. Just thought it would help clarify the situation if @TerriSpirit explained exactly what process they had been through to arrive at the situation they described.
I thought that is what I explaned, when you uprate a Motorhome the DVLA tend to change the revenue weight but don't bother with the MAM, so as I said sounds like it has been uprated.
Also worth checking what tax he is paying as 3650 it should be £165.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
It looks like you can't drive it on your current licence. You would need to either have your licence upgraded to a C1 entitlement (with/without additional test - presumably the DVLA can advise) or the van downgraded to 3,500 kg. Worth checking payload consequences of the second option.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Thanks that's exactly what we need ed to know. I have to get doctors agreement etc to get it put back on... Seems madness as I had it before. Oh well here goes.... Thank u
Hi

I would be very interested to know how you get on with getting it reinstated. I too had an operation on my brain and because of the medication I was given there was a risk of epilepsy so was advised not to drive for 12 months. When I got my licence back from DVLA all the grandfather rights categories had been taken away- I had just assumed they were lost for good (I never had any fits and my biggest regret was ever notifying the DVLA)

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Thanks everyone. We have only just brought the van and the V5 has just come through with our details on it. As far as we know, the van was upgraded for the extra weight when it was new but still only shows the 3500 on the MPM? [they say permissible, rather than allowable now...].. I guess what I was trying to ask is do they go by the MPM or the revenue weight but I think it sounds like I will need my C1 anyway. Thanks folks! :xThumb:

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Hi

I would be very interested to know how you get on with getting it reinstated. I too had an operation on my brain and because of the medication I was given there was a risk of epilepsy so was advised not to drive for 12 months. When I got my licence back from DVLA all the grandfather rights categories had been taken away- I had just assumed they were lost for good (I never had any fits and my biggest regret was ever notifying the DVLA)
I'll keep you informed as I wrote to them and told them and they sent it back saying I had to fill out a form and get authorisation from the doctors. I am going to read the form again and see if I can just fill out the form or the Doc has to sign it, which will probably cost me! :cautious:. Although I don't necessarily need to drive, it will be good to know I can if the need arises... ie: hubby not feeling well etc....:xrofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks everyone. We have only just brought the van and the V5 has just come through with our details on it. As far as we know, the van was upgraded for the extra weight when it was new but still only shows the 3500 on the MPM? [they say permissible, rather than allowable now...].. I guess what I was trying to ask is do they go by the MPM or the revenue weight but I think it sounds like I will need my C1 anyway. Thanks folks! :xThumb:
In the UK they go by the revenue weight but if you travel abroad it would be worth getting the MAM corrected. Also check the correct plate is on the van.

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
In the UK they go by the revenue weight but if you travel abroad it would be worth getting the MAM corrected. Also check the correct plate is on the van.
Yes the correct plate is on the van and on the V5 as the Revenue weight, it's just not on the MPM? Thanks for your replies.... much appreciated :xThumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As already suggested I think you should take it (or have it taken :)) to a weighbridge first and see what the result is. The increase is only 150 Kg which isn't a lot and might have been done so the previous owner could carry a scooter. You should have a full tank of fuel and full water tank but if they are not you could allow for these not being full by adding an estimated weight to the results you get from the weighbridge. Ideally, have the whole vehicle weighed then just with one axle on the scales - then you can work out the load on each axle. If the tanks aren't full these readings won't be right but you will have some idea where you stand after doing it.
If you can the results in writing from the weighbridge I think that's all you need to get it downplated - but I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I'll keep you informed as I wrote to them and told them and they sent it back saying I had to fill out a form and get authorisation from the doctors. I am going to read the form again and see if I can just fill out the form or the Doc has to sign it, which will probably cost me! :cautious:. Although I don't necessarily need to drive, it will be good to know I can if the need arises... ie: hubby not feeling well etc....:xrofl:

Get the form and use "Doctors on wheels" to do your medical

Reactions: f6c

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What is the cost of Tax? if £165 its over 3500Kg. (C1 required) If £240ish, then you are under 3500Kg. B is OK.

Reactions: DBK

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Interesting question, I happen to be in the process of reinstating my C category with a view to getting C+E, so I have the DVLA forms in front of me at the moment.
There is a section in the notes that I believe helps here as long as you have applied to keep your C1 entitlement, it seems to suggest that you can continue to drive, as long as you meet the criteria. ie you aren't going to fail the medical!

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Something similar has happened with the motorcycle category when people have renewed their photo card at the end of ten years sending off the old licence with motorbike entitlement but new licence comes through without.

This even happened to a Police motorcycle mechanic and Police had his licence entitlement on file and wrote a letter to DVLA but DVLA were not interested and said he had to take a test if the entitlement was to be added to his licence. Absolute nightmare.

When I renewed my photo card I went in to local DVLA Office (all shut down now to save money) where theY advised to write a covering note to say “please note category A on licence please ensure this category is included on replacement licence.”

You would think they could manage a direct swop, worst case scenario leaving of a catagory could effect someone’s livelihood.

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Good luck, this was a few years ago so hopefully DVLA able to check original entitlement now and correct error - we can live in hope.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back