French Tag (1 Viewer)

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Anyone on here use a Tag for the french motorways.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Just applied for mine to save the hassle of stopping can use the 30kmph lanes WHOOOOSH

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
My thought is highly dubious and Im sure will be frowned upon I have a twin axle under 3 metres and was considering buying a Class 2 tag :eek:

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
Very good kit, had one a couple of years - and just got the Spain/Portugal as well, came with a fuel discount card for Galp fuel stations.
The tags also work on French car parks that display the Via T symbol at the entrance.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We have a SANEF tag on our A class - works a treat :)

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Us too...worked brilliantly last September

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
My thought is highly dubious and Im sure will be frowned upon I have a twin axle under 3 metres and was considering buying a Class 2 tag :eek:
I have a class 2 tag on a 5 ton Tag axle and works a treat especially because I am normally on my own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We used one for our trip to Portugal. It worked very well. We are now going to buy the Portugal @ Spain one as well.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
we have a ATMB one , works great €3 admin for the months that you use it. well worth the money

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Would recommend..
I made my first trip to France in October, I had a TAG and it worked beautifully.... just a sod getting a £140 bill before Xmas...:xangry:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Mine was about £132. Comes as a bit of a shock. But stops the wife getting out of the van every time.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Yes Cruiser it can be... I wasn't really trying to save money as it was my 1st MH trip into Europe... in future I'll mix it between Peage and Route National...

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As a solo rhd motorhomeer its the best bit of kit I have ever purchased .and I can swop from moho to car and get charged class 1 for the car and the moho is class 2 .. Try not to use motorways.in motorhome but use them extensively in car. ..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

It doesn't work like that.

I assume you're talking about the Sanef Liber-t tag that many of us use.

You can't and don't buy a tag for any particular class. The tag is nothing more than a payment method and it's issued to you personally not to any particular vehicle.

You can use it in any vehicle you are travelling in and if the system detects you as Class 1, 2 or 5 it will work as a payment method.

If the system detects you as Class 3, 4 or anything else the tag isn't an acceptable payment method and so won't work.

The tag itself has no bearing whatsoever on what class you will be detected as. There are two separate detection systems on each booth. The first one that sees you as you arrive at the booth determines the class you will be charged. The second one that looks for automatic payment methods such as tags is further on near the barriers. The main system has already decided what class it is going to charge you before the secondary tag one has even noticed your vehicle.

If you've been to France before and are always detected as Class 2 then you will be fine with a tag. If you are usually detected as Class 3 or 4 and are thinking you might get one over on them it won't work so don't waste your time.

I have a class 2 tag

No you don't. See above.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have been looking at getting a tag for my motorhome I have just re-plated to get extra payload from 3.50 to 3.85 I am under 3 meters and single axle.
Am I right in saying I am ok with class 2 or do I need to apply for class 3 every time I go through the tolls manned or un manned I have never been charged class 3 always class 2.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have been looking at getting a tag for my motorhome I have just re-plated to get extra payload from 3.50 to 3.85 I am under 3 meters and single axle.
Am I right in saying I am ok with class 2 or do I need to apply for class 3 every time I go through the tolls manned or un manned I have never been charged class 3 always class 2.

Technically you are now class 3 but if you were detected as class 2 before you still will be. I suppose you could ask to be charged more if you really want to but your French will have to be good enough to convince them you aren't insane :whistle:

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp

You can't and don't buy a tag for any particular class. The tag is nothing more than a payment method and it's issued to you personally not to any particular vehicle.

You can use it in any vehicle you are travelling in and if the system detects you as Class 1, 2 or 5 it will work as a payment method.

If the system detects you as Class 3, 4 or anything else the tag isn't an acceptable payment method and so won't work.

The tag itself has no bearing whatsoever on what class you will be detected as. There are two separate detection systems on each booth. The first one that sees you as you arrive at the booth determines the class you will be charged. The second one that looks for automatic payment methods such as tags is further on near the barriers. The main system has already decided what class it is going to charge you before the secondary tag one has even noticed your vehicle.

If you've been to France before and are always detected as Class 2 then you will be fine with a tag. If you are usually detected as Class 3 or 4 and are thinking you might get one over on them it won't work so don't waste your time.

No you don't. See above.
Thanks that makes sense and as answered my above question.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Never use toll roads in France,,,i like to poodle down the scenic quieter roads,,BUSBY,,

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We use it with our cars but not the motorhome, not because it doesn't work but because we kept getting charged for a higher class than we should be. At least if you pay manually you can call for assistance and get the class changed.

Its great for cars though and we have just got the Spain and Portugal one.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I got a tag for my recent trip to Poland (mandatory over 3.5 )
minimum prepay was 120 pln. It doesn't include all toll roads, but when I came to leave and return tag there was nothing more to pay or any refund , it was exactly right ??? So i just got the TAG deposit back :)

Whats the chances of that ?

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs

No you don't. See above.
Interesting information thanks. Can you tell how it counts wheels and axles. I can understand the height one.

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
So just read this.
France - Liber-t tag
As long as your vehicle is lower than 3 metres and less than 3.5 tonnes GVW you can use any non height restricted lane that has the Liber-t
sanef-liber-t-logo-small
symbol illuminated. A vehicle of this size falls into the Class 2 fee structure. If your vehicle is larger than this then please contact our sister companyEurotoll.

Now my A class is 2.9m high and just a little bit over weight. But 3 axles. But there is no mention of that. So think I would get charged class 2?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Technically you are now class 3 but if you were detected as class 2 before you still will be. I suppose you could ask to be charged more if you really want to but your French will have to be good enough to convince them you aren't insane :whistle:

I would echo NicNic's answer here - if you're consistently Classe 2 without a tag, you'll still be Classe 2 if you get one. We're (technically) 3850 Kgs but below 3m and our Liber-T Bip 'n' Go tag works fine for Classe 2.

Worth noting that Bip 'n' Go tags work on the standard toll lanes as well as the fast track ones if the fast track lane is blocked for any reason. They're not vehicle specific, they're payment account specific - if we take the car we'll be taking the same tag.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I will not be going through France next year. Is it worth sending my tag back. Or should I hang on to it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I will not be going through France next year. Is it worth sending my tag back. Or should I hang on to it.

You may as well keep it. It doesn’t cost anything unless you use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back