Motorhomes BANNED from Seafront Parking !! (1 Viewer)

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
We live in East Devon and have been motorhomers for many years and living where we do have visited many of the coastal towns in the Southwest. The issue of parking has loomed it's ugly head on more than one occasion.
However, for many years parking at the eastern end of Exmouth's extensive sea front has been straight forward as there are hundreds of spaces facing the sea and therefore is a popular spot for motorhomes and campers alike, even following a price increase a few years ago, now around £10 a day, the same as cars.
If you know the area you will know the orientation of the spaces mean that there would often be an overhang of the pavement which is at least 15' wide, so of little or no consequence, and parked within the lines you take up no more room than a car.
However, compounding the commonly found attitude to motorhomes in the UK, the East Devon Council has seen fit to table a proposal to BAN motorhomes and campervan from parking on the seafront. They propose that spaces be provided elsewhere in carparks.
The UK is so far behind the continent in understanding the principle that visitors spend money and this demonstrates the peewit mentality these so called councillors are blessed with. A space is a space and when I am parked in my 7.5m motorhome on the seafront I actually take up no more room than a Smart car! But now I am not aloud to because I am a motorhome! You park there because of the view and the immediate proximity to the beach so will I still go if I am banished to the back end of a carpark looking at the wheelie bins, bit of a no brainer really.

It gets better ................ as 30 of the proposed spaces will have a size limit of 5.3m ! YES, you read that correctly 5.3m ! I rest my case ......... peewit mentality.

Follow this link to read more:

http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/camper-vans-banned-exmouth-seafront-879672

I find this really quite amazing and fail to understand their thinking process that will actually result in a negative flow of visitors, myself included, for no good reason other than not liking motorhomes!

Pass this on if you have a useful platform, we, on the other hand, will be off to France or Spain or somewhere where we can park in thousands of towns, usually for nothing, stay 2 or 3 days and spend lots of euros in the local economy ........ not Exmouth, where the council have decided that their blue sky thinking will attract more visitors by banning motorhomes .............. nearly speechless but not quite!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Wasn't there a thread on here a couple of weeks ago saying Exemouth council had built an aire near the seafront ?
Edit, should have read the linked article first ! Sounds like it's the usual residents argument about motorhomers spoiling the view/taking the p!$$/and a spot of jealousy ? :xangry:

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Totally agree we spend a lot of time there don't always stay overnight but its getting that i would sooner spend money on a ferry from poole & travel France & the price of wine to bring back ofsets the cost happy travels Rod

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Everyone with a motorhome should boycott the place , that way they might notice the financial hit . But that probably wont happen, unfortunately some of the comments ring true ,there are always those that abuse things and cause the problems and ruin it for others.

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
The news report does talk of a proposed facility but I have lived in the area all my life and the council's thinking is seriously skewed so the facility will probably not be what you would expect.
I guess my point is, if I take no more space than a car then why an I being banned and the proposal includes camper vans, some people's only transport. It's draconian in the extreme

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
The local authority are constructing what appears to be some well designed allocated bays just beyond the sea front. Sadly, but as is the case there are plenty of motorhomers who over time have abused the original location often parking in the wrong location, obstructing the walk with furniture, generators, etc. I have seen several casually leaving grey water taps open!
I take it as a positive that the local authority are trying to be proactive and are offering solutions rather than just simply banning motorhomes like many particularly in neighbouring Dorset.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The seafronts at the West Worthing/Ferring border and at Seaford have introduced m/home restrictions too.
It's a 200 mile drive from my house to Exmouth and only 15 miles of driving to be in France.
It's no wonder I spend all my time 'over there'. More interesting food, scenery, quieter roads, thousands of Aires, never needed to book a camp site and far more welcoming for m/homing as well, also.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The seafronts at the West Worthing/Ferring border and at Seaford have introduced m/home restrictions too.
It's a 200 mile drive from my house to Exmouth and only 15 miles of driving to be in France.
It's no wonder I spend all my time 'over there'. More interesting food, scenery, quieter roads, thousands of Aires, never needed to book a camp site and far more welcoming for m/homing as well, also.
Wish we lived closer to the tunnel, the first four hours of our tours to France are the worst of the whole trip.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Everyone with a motorhome should boycott the place , that way they might notice the financial hit . But that probably wont happen, unfortunately some of the comments ring true ,there are always those that abuse things and cause the problems and ruin it for others.

Would there actually be a financial hit? For every one of us that’s happy to pay to park and always make use of local amenities there’s someone else who proudly announces that they “refuse to pay for parking on principle” and that they do all their shopping before they leave on a trip and make it a point of honour to never spend anything in the places they visit.

You’re right about people abusing things though. A few people taking the piss causes everyone else to suffer, in this instance by way of a ban. That’s always the way.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I live at Taunton and regularly go to Exmouth taking our dog for a good run on the beach

The number of motorhomes parked overhanging the pavements, generators running, tables and chairs place "aggressively" to protect the space around/outside the motorhome, steps, chocks, parasols and yes a slime running to the gutter where the grey water has been trickling out for some days, water tanks, bikes, wet suits, surf boards, you name it its there

I have always owned a motorhome since I was 28 years old and I am now 56, I have travelled extensively throughout the UK and Europe, staying in campsites, Aires and wild camped

What I regularly see at Exmouth is many people taking the p155

I work on motorhomes for a living, I can tell at a glance who has parked for the afternoon to enjoy the view and who has been there for a few days and are marking their "spot"

No wonder people complain, at times it looks like a refugee camp. So instead of banning motorhomes altogether the Council are being amazingly considerate in my opinion, and doing exactly what so many on the forum complain that Local Councils "won't do"

This is what Exmouth Council are proposing from Easter 2018 after stopping motorhomes parking adjacent to the beach:-

To offer overnight camper van and motorhome parking in Exmouth for short stays of up to 3 nights as follows:

1. To offer up to 30 pitches for motorcaravans in our current Queens Drive Echelon car park (up to a maximum vehicle length of 5.3m to avoid overhang into the carriageway).

2. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Imperial Recreation Ground car park

3. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Maer Road car park.

4. To consider the feasibility of offering services including: drinking water, waste water disposal and sewage disposal (in one or more of our toilet blocks) and sufficient refuse and recycling facilities located close to the pitches

This sounds exactly what we would like to find in any town, so we should be applauding Exmouth council not castigating them

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Got this initial response to my email - why don't we inundate them with emails:

Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have forwarded your email to the parking services department for their attention and have requested that they respond to you directly. If you would like to contact them directly you can email them on CarParks@eastdevon.gov.uk or call them on 01395 571780.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Debbie

Customer Services Advisor

01395 571515

csc@eastdevon.gov.uk

www.eastdevon.gov.uk

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I live at Taunton and regularly go to Exmouth taking our dog for a good run on the beach

The number of motorhomes parked overhanging the pavements, generators running, tables and chairs place "aggressively" to protect the space around/outside the motorhome, steps, chocks, parasols and yes a slime running to the gutter where the grey water has been trickling out for some days, water tanks, bikes, wet suits, surf boards, you name it its there

I have always owned a motorhome since I was 28 years old and I am now 56, I have travelled extensively throughout the UK and Europe, staying in campsites, Aires and wild camped

What I regularly see at Exmouth is many people taking the p155

I work on motorhomes for a living, I can tell at a glance who has parked for the afternoon to enjoy the view and who has been there for a few days and are marking their "spot"

No wonder people complain, at times it looks like a refugee camp. So instead of banning motorhomes altogether the Council are being amazingly considerate in my opinion, and doing exactly what so many on the forum complain that Local Councils "won't do"

This is what Exmouth Council are proposing from Easter 2018 after stopping motorhomes parking adjacent to the beach:-

To offer overnight camper van and motorhome parking in Exmouth for short stays of up to 3 nights as follows:

1. To offer up to 30 pitches for motorcaravans in our current Queens Drive Echelon car park (up to a maximum vehicle length of 5.3m to avoid overhang into the carriageway).

2. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Imperial Recreation Ground car park

3. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Maer Road car park.

4. To consider the feasibility of offering services including: drinking water, waste water disposal and sewage disposal (in one or more of our toilet blocks) and sufficient refuse and recycling facilities located close to the pitches

This sounds exactly what we would like to find in any town, so we should be applauding Exmouth council not castigating them

I agree with what you say here Eddie. And as usual it’s the few that think the world owes them a living ruining it for everyone. Good on the Exmouth council to at least try to sort the problem, my only concern there is the size of parking, 5.3 mtr

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I agree with what you say here Eddie. And as usual it’s the few that think the world owes them a living ruining it for everyone. Good on the Exmouth council to at least try to sort the problem, my only concern there is the size of parking, 5.3 mtr

It's only limited to 5.3m at one of the three new sites and only because any longer would be overhanging into the road.

There's no issue at the other two locations. In fact there are more spaces without a 5.3m limit than there are with one.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
For me the major issue is that this general UK attitude restricts my ability to simply park. As is often said, I pay my taxes, my pvc is my only means of transport, why I am I stopped from parking in a position where the same Ducato in parcel van mode is allowed to park?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
From the statement that will only apply to the Queens Drive spaces due to limited space.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
For me the major issue is that this general UK attitude restricts my ability to simply park. As is often said, I pay my taxes, my pvc is my only means of transport, why I am I stopped from parking in a position where the same Ducato in parcel van mode is allowed to park?
I don't see that you wouldn't be allowed to if you mean literally just park and go for a walk or go shopping. However, to some people "parking" is sitting there cooking dinner, TV on Seats turned round and a couple of chairs outside, so hardly the same as a Ducato in parcel van mode.

Personally I think that the blame falls at the feet of the scumbags that abuse the system rather than the Councils that are trying to find a compromise as this Council is obviously doing

I have a motorhome, but that doesn't mean that I agree or condone many of the scumbaggy things that I see people do whilst I am out and about on my travels but If I think that Exmouth seafront is an eyesore at times, I wonder what the visitors, rate payers and local business's think?

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
this. we were there earlier in the year although we stayed at Starcross and got the ferry over. Same old story. always a few that ruin it for the rest.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
I don't see that you wouldn't be allowed to if you mean literally just park and go for a walk or go shopping. However, to some people "parking" is sitting there cooking dinner, TV on Seats turned round and a couple of chairs outside, so hardly the same as a Ducato in parcel van mode.

Personally I think that the blame falls at the feet of the scumbags that abuse the system rather than the Councils that are trying to find a compromise as this Council is obviously doing

I have a motorhome, but that doesn't mean that I agree or condone many of the scumbaggy things that I see people do whilst I am out and about on my travels but If I think that Exmouth seafront is an eyesore at times, I wonder what the visitors, rate payers and local business's think?
I think that maybe people in this country are not used to seeing so many motorhomes as there is now unlike the French who have been used to it for years

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
It's much the same shortsighted outlook from Gosport Council. Three seafront car parks are now inaccessible to anything higher than 2m as they have installed height barriers in direct response to the costs incurred from clearing up after travellers.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's much the same shortsighted outlook from Gosport Council. Three seafront car parks are now inaccessible to anything higher than 2m as they have installed height barriers in direct response to the costs incurred from clearing up after travellers.
Don't follow your meaning , you seem to answer why it has happened.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't follow your meaning , you seem to answer why it has happened.
Travellers are travellers,motorhomers are motorhomers.. they aren't necessarily the same people. I think what he means is the council decided because travellers left a mess that barriers were the best option despite them stopping everyday folk who may have a larger vehicle parking there.

That's short sighted and a bit crap

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't see that you wouldn't be allowed to if you mean literally just park and go for a walk or go shopping. However, to some people "parking" is sitting there cooking dinner, TV on Seats turned round and a couple of chairs outside, so hardly the same as a Ducato in parcel van mode

The only part of that is say that isn't parking is the chairs outside.

Otherwise the vehicle is taking up the same space as the panel van and technically doing nothing wrong.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Travellers are travellers,motorhomers are motorhomers.. they aren't necessarily the same people. I think what he means is the council decided because travellers left a mess that barriers were the best option despite them stopping everyday folk who may have a larger vehicle parking there.

That's short sighted and a bit crap

A few motorhomers are as bad as travellers and thats why we all suffer,,BUSBY,,

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
These signs simply say "NO MOTORHOMES". There are many council jobsworths who will take that literally. And having worked at council offices, I know that if the ticket is issued, most times they'll support the jobsworth.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back