Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why Height Barriers?
Early morning visit to Aldeburgh recently. Great spot adjacent to the sea only a five minute walk into the town.
Sensible parking laws allow motorhomes of any size to park alongside the cars adjacent to the sea shore . No mechanicle restrictions no height barriers and it is all totally free. Brilliant! But for how long???

I guess that literacy is not a requirement of owning a motor home.

Attachments

• aldeburgh 010.jpg
    aldeburgh 010.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 25.2.10 014.jpg
    25.2.10 014.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 159

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Overnighting used to be permitted at this location, we used it many times. The reasons given for banning were rubbish and toilets being emptied on the beach .. which is a shame, it is a lovely spot and there is a public toilet within walking distance .. but as we have read on another post the No Camping sign was removed, hence the need for height barriers. No doubt this will happen here..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Why ?

Again a few morons spoiled it for the many.............

I noticed many low barriers or even bridges,when looking for car parks and wild spots,on the coast of Spain,i thought then WHY ? i would be spending time and money there,but if other morons have stayed there before me,made a mess or emptied their wastes,then what do you expect,a great shame really that WE are be coralled into campsites,that sometimes cost more than a holiday stay (with flights ) !!

I have to add,that many car owners who use these spaces,empty ash trays,dump their rubbish and food stuffs etc,and of course the motorhomers have had the blame.

Sad days.....

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Overnighting used to be permitted at this location, we used it many times. The reasons given for banning were rubbish and toilets being emptied on the beach .. which is a shame, it is a lovely spot and there is a public toilet within walking distance .. but as we have read on another post the No Camping sign was removed, hence the need for height barriers. No doubt this will happen here..
Totally agree Jim I too have spent many nights and still spend many days at this lovely spot. Whatever the reasons were for the ban up on the sea wall its history but I was surprised that the abuse went on for as long as it did before the ban.
It’s the lower level that is now being abused, still a great day parking spot but it is being abused by probably the same free loaders that complain about the sea wall ban. If the council made the signage any bigger it would become a hazarded to aircraft yet they are still free loading.
I’ve not been able to trace the post regarding the height barrier proposal could you give me a clue please.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I’ve not been able to trace the post regarding the height barrier proposal could you give me a clue please.:thumb:

Hi
I was referring to the Bamburgh castle thread where the No Camping sign was removed and they were now installing the barrier.. , no info for Aldeburgh ..

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
This is what was happening to overnight lorry parking 30 years ago.

As more councils placed restrictions, it overloaded the parking elsewhere, and the whole thing snowballs.

Now lorry drivers end up having to stop in remote laybys, and lorry theft has reached record levels. (just like shoplifting, we all pay for that on the price of our goods)

If you think its bad trying to find sites for a motorcaravan, think what its like in a vehicle 3 times as long, the economic necessity of keeping going until your time is up, and an electronic tachograph dictating you must stop as soon as your time is up or face prosecution.

Despite a £25 parking charge for a noisy pitch, lorry parks on the motorway services are usually full by the early evening.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Suffolk Coastal Council (the district in which Aldeburgh lies) have been at least as helpful as any other council (and much more helpful than most) in both providing information to me for the parking website and in providing, where possible, parking for motorhomes.

The officer in charge has made a point of contacting me, without being asked, whenever any significant change in parking rules has occurred, so that I can add it to my website. She has also made sure that the information is kept up to date on the council's web site.

On top of that she has gone out of her way to try to find places for motorhomes to park, especially smaller ones. As she said to me "some smaller models are no bigger than a large car and it seems unreasonable to prevent these vehicles using the car parks especially as they seem to be particularly popular with the elderly and mobility impaired."

That sort of approach by a council officer has to be applauded and does not deserve to be answered with ignorance of signs and other abuse.

Graham

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is what was happening to overnight lorry parking 30 years ago. Despite a £25 parking charge for a noisy pitch, lorry parks on the motorway services are usually full by the early evening.

Funny you mention lorry parks. I was speaking to a free loader in a motor home last year. He had stopped at the Orwell Crossing Lorry Park for a shower and top up with water etc. then settled down for the night. This lorry park is a bit special it has 14 showers a bar that sells a pint at £2 and has some good entertainment so it is very popular with Lorries for Felixstowe docks. He was telling me that he had an argument with some idiot in a yellow jacket that woke him up at midnight demanding £14 as he wasn’t displaying a ticket. No way was he paying that so he woke the family up and drove to the nearest lay-by. Little wonder we get a bad press. :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Funny you mention lorry parks. I was speaking to a free loader in a motor home last year. He had stopped at the Orwell Crossing Lorry Park for a shower and top up with water etc. then settled down for the night. This lorry park is a bit special it has 14 showers a bar that sells a pint at £2 and has some good entertainment so it is very popular with Lorries for Felixstowe docks. He was telling me that he had an argument with some idiot in a yellow jacket that woke him up at midnight demanding £14 as he wasn’t displaying a ticket. No way was he paying that so he woke the family up and drove to the nearest lay-by. Little wonder we get a bad press. :Eeek:

Of course it wasn't his fault for stopping without checking whether and how much he had to pay I suppose :Eeek:

Graham

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Suffolk Coastal Council (the district in which Aldeburgh lies) have been at least as helpful as any other council (and much more helpful than most) in both providing information to me for the parking website and in providing, where possible, parking for motorhomes.
That sort of approach by a council officer has to be applauded and does not deserve to be answered with ignorance of signs and other abuse.
Graham
I'm regular visitor to Suffolk and never had a problem with parking so it looks like she is doing a good job.
Great website by the way Graham, I see that the £14 to stay at the Orwell crossing lorry park includes a £3 meal ticket, good deal.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm regular visitor to Suffolk and never had a problem with parking so it looks like she is doing a good job.

Please don't tell the world how nice it is.. :Doh:

we loved it so much we now live here,.. and I'm not saying where, don't want a load of free loaders on the door step :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can you post the sat nav co-ordinates please Jim - then we know where not to go :roflmto: :roflmto:

Graham

can do better and post the Google street view ... not :roflmto:

on a serious note, since moving here and having time to nosey around in a small car I've found some great overnight spots, but to post them would have them end up like Aldeburgh ..:Sad:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09

The officer in charge has made a point of contacting me, without being asked, whenever any significant change in parking rules has occurred, so that I can add it to my website. She has also made sure that the information is kept up to date on the council's web site.

On top of that she has gone out of her way to try to find places for motorhomes to park, especially smaller ones. As she said to me "some smaller models are no bigger than a large car and it seems unreasonable to prevent these vehicles using the car parks especially as they seem to be particularly popular with the elderly and mobility impaired."

Graham

Hats off to this lady. Would there were more like her.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Please don't tell the world how nice it is.. :Doh:

we loved it so much we now live here,.. and I'm not saying where, don't want a load of free loaders on the door step :roflmto:

My sincere apologies Jim I don’t know what came over me. This is my greatest secret also. I don’t even tell my wife where I have been.:Doh:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[FONT=&quot]Another weekend in Suffolk, sitting in the car park at Dunwich, sun is shining very nice.
I stopped off in Aldeburgh earlier today and no change with the parking restrictions as suggested. Still a number of "wild campers" sleeping along the base of the sea wall and a few sleeping along the high street. It doesn’t pay to treat people like adults. They just laugh at you.
[/FONT]

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001

Graham
Well observed G.J.H., the councils do not deserve to be abused and in fact it becomes counter productive and they are more inclined to be more anti motorhome. It is a bit like training a child, ignore the bad behaviour but praise the good. It doesn't hurt to call in to local council offices in some of these smaller towns and tell them that you have just been shopping in their town and pass on your good wishes to the department who made motorhome parking available in that town. Everybody likes praise and COUNCILS DO TALK TO EACH OTHER. Word sreads and it is a very positive way of communicating the needs of motorhomers. Adrian. (Movin' on)

creativeglenn

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
8 years
Whenever I read these kinds of threads I just shake my head.
All people go on about is pay pay pay.
And if your motorhome is bigger than a van then you are considered badly even more so.
Just tell me anyone, how much tax one pays on a new 68k motorhome?
And then there is the road tax.
So why should anyone pay? they have already been payed through the tax system including road tax ect ect.
All the system wants to do is pimp us like economical slaves but when we want somewhere to park and sleep usually in some run down second rate car park most of the time bacause its near a bit of water with a bit of a view we have to pay!
Its no wonder Gypsies/Travellers just whip out the grinder and remove the heigh barriers lock.
Like someone has said its people in cars who create the mess as most motorhomers are mindfull.
Gosh yes the lady from the council might be rare but not to my detriment as the councils have a choice,get with the program or people will say ENOUGH and more motorhomes will include a free grinder.:Blush:
Why the hell should I stay on a site if I choose not too?
F em.

creativeglenn

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
8 years
Again a few morons spoiled it for the many.............
It could be said the ''Morons'' are the people who tolerate the ''pay'' attitude.
Just write to these councils and tell them you will never spend money there again.
Fight back.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As regards tax paid by motorhome owners, there is likely to be a fairly wide range covering the amounts paid by all of us. Some will have paid more than non-motorhome owners and some will have paid a lot less than non-motorhome owners. The argument simply does not stack up.

As regards where one spends the night, the question could be asked "why the hell should anyone in a motorhome expect to be able to stay anywhere other than on a site?" There are all sorts of arguments for both points of view but both questions are of equal value.

Get with the programme? What programme? There are something like 150,000 motorhomes in the UK so that means probably about half a million "users" (not all of whom, by any means, want off-site facilities) out of a population of over 61 million in the country.

We have to accept that we are a minority and for our voice to be listened to with respect we need to act respectably. We need to show evidence to councils of how facilities for motorhomes can bring benefit to their areas. If we just say something along the lines of "not coming to play in your town again" then we make it easy for councils to turn round and say "fine, there are plenty of other people who will come".

Graham

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Grips my shi$ when the height barriers stop us entering a parking location near water on a night/evening time but it allows fisherman in who stay all night, sleep, cook get p*ssed and then leave all the crap behind. Yes that includes human poo balls as well

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Whenever I read these kinds of threads I just shake my head.
All people go on about is pay pay pay.
And if your motorhome is bigger than a van then you are considered badly even more so.
Just tell me anyone, how much tax one pays on a new 68k motorhome?
And then there is the road tax.
So why should anyone pay? they have already been payed through the tax system including road tax ect ect.
All the system wants to do is pimp us like economical slaves but when we want somewhere to park and sleep usually in some run down second rate car park most of the time bacause its near a bit of water with a bit of a view we have to pay!
Its no wonder Gypsies/Travellers just whip out the grinder and remove the heigh barriers lock.
Like someone has said its people in cars who create the mess as most motorhomers are mindfull.
Gosh yes the lady from the council might be rare but not to my detriment as the councils have a choice,get with the program or people will say ENOUGH and more motorhomes will include a free grinder.:Blush:
Why the hell should I stay on a site if I choose not too?
F em.

Great bit of rhetoric creativeglenn, perhaps you could start your campaign along the south coast, there is plenty of scope for council attitude change down there.
I don’t see why caravans can’t stay over too. No difference between them and us as long as they stay hooked up to the tow car. Some of them tow cars must cost a fortune in tax.
Perhaps we could get all caravans owners to join you, that should give your campaign some real clout. :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
Matamoros,I suggest you have been looking in the wrong 'wild camping' sites,at the end of the day,its called wild camping because YOU choose to camp/park where you like (in total piece and quiet if you wish ) or you can be with the Baaaah,baaahh lot and park,'in a carpark' or layby with others,whichever turns you on,but the freedom you have and of course the price.......as some think paying 50 euros a night a bargain in their £50,000 motorhome (personally i find ludicrous ) may as well go on a package tour and save the outlay !!!! A motorhome is a home on wheels,you have everything catered for 'in your wheels'' shower,toilet,kitchen,entertainment blah,blah but as everyone has a choice i dont knock their decisions..where i am now,i can take a 2 week holiday with fuel ,to the Greek or Black sea coast and spend less than £200 !!! or i could go to campsites and spend well over £700 ....choices eh !

I think we have gone a little off thread here so I will also try and post this in the ‘Why height barriers’ thread.
Most of what you say I am in full agreement with but the term’wild camping’ is somewhat misleading, staying in a £50,000 plus motorhome in a car park, with a generator for essentials like hairdryers vacuum cleaners and satellite systems is neither wild nor camping.
Our 5th wheeler IS our home and we choose to stay on uncrowded ,quiet , inexpensive,sites ,and there are still plenty of these about throughout Europe if you look hard enough.
Many people like to park up in out of the way places enjoying the countryside in a responsible manner but many beauty spots are ruined by too many inconsiderate people and hence the use of height barriers etc restricting peoples freedom.
I do not personally have much experience of the effects of ‘wild camping’ in the UK but I have seen many places in Spain & Portugal where motorhomes and RV,s(£150,000 plus) are parked so close together on car parks and derelict sites that they can only just open their doors. Personally I do not see the point, I have always managed to find uncrowded sites (admittedly mostly out of season) and very rarely pay more than €15 a night, sometimes much less.These so called ‘wild campers’ still feel the need to descend on sites occasionally to wash everything they possess, including the vehicle, fill up with water and do their ablutions. I am sure this is why so many Spanish sites charge a ridiculous fee for one night stops.
I can understand peoples wish to get away from it all and ‘wild camp’ in remote areas but the vast majority that I see do not do this and seem to want to herd together, in my opinion, totally unsuitable places.
The French have a superb system of aires, many free, set up mainly to cater for one or two night stops and sets an example of what should be available everywhere. Unfortunately this system is often abused by people staying for weeks on end.
One mans freedom can often be at someone else’s inconvenience and expense. :Smile:hardhat

Lancastrian in 5er (fulltime)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip) One mans freedom can often be at someone else’s inconvenience and expense. :Smile:hardhat

Lancastrian in 5er (fulltime)

I think the problem comes when some people confuse their "freedom" with their selfishness and decide that what they want is their right no matter what the effect on others (which they seem to fail to even consider) :Smile:

To everyone - Feel free to disagree with this opinion but please first consider how much the cap fits :Smile:

Graham

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Grips my shi$ when the height barriers stop us entering a parking location near water on a night/evening time but it allows fisherman in who stay all night, sleep, cook get p*ssed and then leave all the crap behind. Yes that includes human poo balls as well
Please read the earlier posts. The height barriers that stop you entering your parking location near water on a night/evening time were put there for a reason, I'm sure that reason wasn't abuse by the fishermen.
The object of this thread is. If you can’t use your van like sensible adults then don't complain when you are barred from the night club.
Only thing left open to you is to get yourself a van that stands less that 2m because it aint going to revert back to a free for all now. Sorry...:Doh:

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
So why is nothing done to punish the fisherman?
They are the only people using the site during the night. Cant blame MH anymore.

I am not sure what your implying about me or if you are telling me off???

Just making a simple statement about how things are.

Height barriers put there to stop travellers taking up camp and destroying the area.
Yes the barriers stop caravans and MH entering but thats about it. Still litter, turds, open fire remains and empty gas canisters lying around. Great job.

I never thought of getting a smaller MH to get under the barriers, well done

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back