£3,000 for a ebike! (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When we were in Bejing all the scooters were electric - very environmentally friendly

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That IS Definitely my opinion. You can't have an unfounded opinion because that's all it is... my opinion.. and please feel free to disregard it :cry::D2
It seems to me that a founded opinion is based on some evidence or reasoning and an unfounded one is not. But which opinions are founded and which are unfounded is another matter and which are right or wrong another matter still. Of course this is only my opinion and I have no idea whether it is founded or unfounded. I think I had better go and sit in a quiet corner for a while.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you sure? I thought most were coal powered.
They are, look at the muck their coal fired power stations produce to charge them.:LOL:
I don't think electric vehicles are enviromentaly friendly at all, everyone likes to forget how the electricity is produced to charge them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
They are, look at the muck their coal fired power stations produce to charge them.:LOL:
I don't think electric vehicles are enviromentaly friendly at all, everyone likes to forget how the electricity is produced to charge them.

That depends on the country you are in. There's every chance that, in mainland Europe, your electricity won't come from coal, but Solar, wind or nuclear (ever more from Solar and Wind year on year).

There's nothing cleaner than a push-bike but any E-Bikes come close and beats your typical 2-stroke angry Wasp moped you see (and, more annoyingly, hear) in France and Italy.
Even if the electricity comes from coal it's better to have electric vehicles in towns and cities and keep the exhaust in a concentrated area at the Power Station.

Apparently Halfords now have a reasonable (£1200) Ebike that seems very nice.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just bought a Kansi 9 speed folder for £375. None electric BUT I have a normal bike that I fitted a Bafang conversion kit to so now in the process of removing kit from one bike and transferring it to the new one. The Bafang kit has a 350w motor and it has worked really well and cost me £350 a couple of years ago without a battery. Its a mid drive kit so drives the cranks just like the MEGA expensive ones. Only difference being they are a fraction of the price and you can swap them from one bike to the next. Also bought SWMBO one as her bike is very heavy. So got to convert that one as well. The base bike only weighs 11.5kg. The Bafang motor and battery will add another 6kg.

Bafang conversion kits range from 250w upto 1000w. The 250w is road legal but looks identical to the 350w (y)

Cooldude

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
You could buy a nearly new, low mileage Honda SH125 for £2500. I cycle and I know what I would rather have - the scooter!
The world of Ebike's has gone mad. If you want one, there's a guy on EBay, trying to sell a traditional retro Francis Barnett Ebike in arden green for a reduced price of £995, I have test ridden it at the Stafford Classic Motorcycle Show. It doesn't fold down but it is great fun.

Pete (Francis Barnett Owners Club member!)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think 250w is the max power for a road legal ebike, also has to be pedal assist only and speed limited. I think anything else has to be registered, insured and licensed as a motorcycle or only used on private land?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I have ours set up as pedal assist only not bothered with the handle throttle. I need the extra ooooommmph to keep up with SWMBO she is a fair bit lighter than me. Both can have maximum speed set in programming but they go faster than that going down hill. They also go faster if you pedal quicker. My old mountain bike would happily do 20 mph peddling without the power on. Turning the power on just means you can do it for longer and also up some very steep hills.

We passed one guy who was standing up on his pedals as I went by. He must have thought he was standing still. Then SWMBO passed him as well. 250w motor driving a 46t front crank and a 36t back cog will climb hills all day.

You can also use the bike as a normal bike if the battery runs out. Tried one of the Bosch motored ebikes and it was very difficult to pedal without the power on. The guy in the shop asked why I would want to cycle without the power. Then it dawned on him that they do run out of power or can get faults and you need too pedal home.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Just bought a Kansi 9 speed folder for £375. None electric BUT I have a normal bike that I fitted a Bafang conversion kit to so now in the process of removing kit from one bike and transferring it to the new one. The Bafang kit has a 350w motor and it has worked really well and cost me £350 a couple of years ago without a battery. Its a mid drive kit so drives the cranks just like the MEGA expensive ones. Only difference being they are a fraction of the price and you can swap them from one bike to the next. Also bought SWMBO one as her bike is very heavy. So got to convert that one as well. The base bike only weighs 11.5kg. The Bafang motor and battery will add another 6kg.

Bafang conversion kits range from 250w upto 1000w. The 250w is road legal but looks identical to the 350w (y)

Very interesting and would consider doing this to our fold up bikes but I've looked online and I'm not able to find one priced similar to what you've quoted, would you mind posting a link to the supplier you've used?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Our son has just bought an off road ebike from Evans and I don't expect it was cheap. However, he is a keen mountain biker and also suffers from type 1 diabetes and his condition was preventing him from getting out and getting some much needed excercise. Now he can go out with his mates and keep up with them, so in my view, money well spent.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Very interesting and would consider doing this to our fold up bikes but I've looked online and I'm not able to find one priced similar to what you've quoted, would you mind posting a link to the supplier you've used?

http://eclipsebikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=15 .. They do a 250w and a 350w version. Just about got my first fold up one sorted.

You have to make sure that when folded that there is nothing in the way at the front of the bottom bearing. Bottom bearing should be 70 - 73 mm wide and be either a cassette or the old fashioned bearings.

The kit was on my mountain bike which had to be taken apart to go in the garage. SWMBO's bike was heavy to start with before I converted it so these are light weight 11.5 kg whole bike including battery should be about 17kg.

You can find batteries on EBay ( £200 + ) Size depends on how long you want it to last between charges. There is room for a 420mm long battery on the rack that is fitted to ours. Certainly a lot cheaper than the £2k new ones and IMO just as good.

in_content.jpg

Last edited:

Cooldude

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
TheTwoOfUs, excellent use of an electric bike, pleased your son can still go out mountain biking. I am all for people getting out, getting exercise and enjoying themselves, either walking or cycling. I just find some Ebike companies are charging way over the top for these bikes. Not only that, replacement batteries or spares can also be expensive. We use ordinary mountain bikes the moment, a couple of 20 year old Saracen bikes. However if I ever start having trouble with my knees or found I am exerting myself too much and effecting my heart condition, we will not hesitate to buy a couple of Ebikes to keep us cycling. We love it. Though, because or their weight, I may have to start carrying them on the back of our Motorhome with a tow bar carrier, being much lower, to get them on and off! I know you can remove the batteries, but they can still be quite heavy. Some of the Dutch Ebikes are amazing.

Flinty

Free Member
Nov 14, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail EKS
Exp
This is my Second E-bike and it's one of my favourite boys toys done 1645 miles on it this year (strava) confirmed. Out on it two or three times a week doing MTB trails Landegra, Nanty , Cannock Chase,Longmynd, will never go back to a normal MTB.Its progress and it's hear to stay .If you enjoy the outside fresh air and a rush they are brilliant.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have ours set up as pedal assist only not bothered with the handle throttle. I need the extra ooooommmph to keep up with SWMBO she is a fair bit lighter than me. Both can have maximum speed set in programming but they go faster than that going down hill. They also go faster if you pedal quicker. My old mountain bike would happily do 20 mph peddling without the power on. Turning the power on just means you can do it for longer and also up some very steep hills.

We passed one guy who was standing up on his pedals as I went by. He must have thought he was standing still. Then SWMBO passed him as well. 250w motor driving a 46t front crank and a 36t back cog will climb hills all day.

You can also use the bike as a normal bike if the battery runs out. Tried one of the Bosch motored ebikes and it was very difficult to pedal without the power on. The guy in the shop asked why I would want to cycle without the power. Then it dawned on him that they do run out of power or can get faults and you need too pedal home.

What mtb did you have that would happily do 20mph?

Flinty

Free Member
Nov 14, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail EKS
Exp
I think he means 20kph as all E-bikes should have the motor restricted to 15.5 mph on pedal assist or throttle.
You can get them chipped but we don't do things like that do we !!!‍♀️

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Get up steep hills to start with, I don't think AS even do a crank drive.
Mine will go up steep hills,,,very very slowly though,,Mind you it hasn't got a motor,,BUSBY:xgrin::xgrin:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That depends on the country you are in. There's every chance that, in mainland Europe, your electricity won't come from coal, but Solar, wind or nuclear (ever more from Solar and Wind year on year).

There's nothing cleaner than a push-bike but any E-Bikes come close and beats your typical 2-stroke angry Wasp moped you see (and, more annoyingly, hear) in France and Italy.
Even if the electricity comes from coal it's better to have electric vehicles in towns and cities and keep the exhaust in a concentrated area at the Power Station.

Apparently Halfords now have a reasonable (£1200) Ebike that seems very nice.

Thats ok if you don't happen to live just across the river from a power station,,BUSBY:xgrin::xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back