Difficulty finding storage for next summer around Bedfordshire. (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
OK not getting my MH till next summer but thought I would get an idea of storage sites.
After emailing all the Cassoa sites within 29 miles got replies that they were full and will put me on their waiting list.
Is this normal that they are all full?
Have an option of keeping it at home but not an ideal solution as I would have to remove my carport.
Anyone know of any other places in south Bedfordshire or in neighbouring counties?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would keep it at home. At least you can keep an eye on it.
Handy when packing to go away as well.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could get a house alarm fitted?
And no recomendation that your unit won't be stolen from a gold compound.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I would keep it at home. It has the huge benefit that you can get up any morning, jump in it and go away for a few days. If it is in storage, you use at least half a day going to fetch it, bring it home, clean it and pack it. This means you probably won't bother.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would keep it at home. At least you can keep an eye on it.
Handy when packing to go away as well.

Depending on whether you have anywhere secure and off road to keep it it can make a huge difference to insurance premiums.

That's why ours lives at a storage site.

If you can't park off road at all and the only option at home is to keep it on the road the insurers may even refuse to cover you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would keep it at home. It has the huge benefit that you can get up any morning, jump in it and go away for a few days. If it is in storage, you use at least half a day going to fetch it, bring it home, clean it and pack it. This means you probably won't bother.

Nonsense.

Ours is in storage about 13 miles away.

It takes me less than an hour to go and pick it up and get home.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Nonsense.

Ours is in storage about 13 miles away.

It takes me less than an hour to go and pick it up and get home.
Obviously it works different ways for different people. It may only take an hour to drive to the storage, swap car for Moho then drive home. But then, unless you have EHU at the storage, you have to stock your food, get the fridge and freezer going, stock that, fill water etc. Keeping it in the driveway at home, plugged in, heating on low, fridge stocked and working, it is ready at s moments notice. I used to keep a Caravan at a site about 12 miles away and we found we used it for planned holidays but rarely went away for an unplanned weekend. With the Moho on the drive we use it most weekends. I'm happy storage works for you @NickNic but it wouldn't for me

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Obviously it works different ways for different people. It may only take an hour to drive to the storage, swap car for Moho then drive home. But then, unless you have EHU at the storage, you have to stock your food, get the fridge and freezer going, stock that, fill water etc. Keeping it in the driveway at home, plugged in, heating on low, fridge stocked and working, it is ready at s moments notice. I used to keep a Caravan at a site about 12 miles away and we found we used it for planned holidays but rarely went away for an unplanned weekend. With the Moho on the drive we use it most weekends. I'm happy storage works for you @NickNic but it wouldn't for me

Still nonsense.

It’s stored with water in it which we drink.

It takes 20 minutes to load it and get on the road once I get back with it.

Pretty much all of our trips away are unplanned. We can be on the road just over an hour from deciding we want to go away.

All this stuff about it taking half a day or more to get ready for a trip is rubbish.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Now then boys @NickNic @Chrysalis ... no 'one situation' is the same, how people store their MH and then prepare it for a trip is an individual thing and neither way is nonsense!

So pull your heads in instead of butting each other!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Jands - I believe it is quite normal for them to be full and have a waiting list, but how long you'd have to wait to get a spot is anyone's guess.

Personally I'd keep it at home (we have a big drive so no problem for us anyway) but it depends on your situation and if it's gonna cause you issues with parking your other vehicles etc ... if you have to remove your car port, could you instead raise it to give your MH some protection?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had to take my car port down to get my m/h (and my son's caravan) in the drive, but there is very little benefit in storing modern cars under cover except perhaps in winter to keep the windows free from frost. Apart from the security and ease of commissioning/decommissioning I can open them up for an hour or two on a crisp winter's day.
Not bothered about folk knowing I'm away. The things that are important to me which aren't insured (e.g. the boys' football plaques, a chunk of granite from Porthallow beach from when I proposed to my late wife, photos, a piece of curious driftwood from an Italian beach, a 14th century cannonball from a field in France, etc. etc.) are worthless to anyone else.
My vintage motorbikes however, are in the garage and chained to concrete anchors (y)

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I had to take my car port down to get my m/h (and my son's caravan) in the drive, but there is very little benefit in storing modern cars under cover except perhaps in winter to keep the windows free from frost. Apart from the security and ease of commissioning/decommissioning I can open them up for an hour or two on a crisp winter's day.
Not bothered about folk knowing I'm away. The things that are important to me which aren't insured (e.g. the boys' football plaques, a chunk of granite from Porthallow beach from when I proposed to my late wife, photos, a piece of curious driftwood from an Italian beach, a 14th century cannonball from a field in France, etc. etc.) are worthless to anyone else.
My vintage motorbikes however, are in the garage and chained to concrete anchors (y)
Is it anything like this worthless old thing?

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Ours is parked 12 miles away, We pack one of the cars, drive to storage, transfer stuff to MH then leave the car parked in the MH space and same in reverse coming home. We’re away most weekends. No hassle at all.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is it anything like this worthless old thing?

Well, since you asked, it's a medieval cannon ball, about 2 1/2" dia. but they are quite common apparently.
Plus a 'curious' piece of wood (like an Aladdin's lamp) with removable centre knot and a couple of Neolithic flint scrapers - just a few of my collection of artefacts found whilst dog walking.
2017-11-30 Artefacts 004.JPG

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We keep ours in storage, ready to roll apart from food, take a 5L bottle of water and fill up when we get to the site. We clean it before it goes to storage, but as down a muddy road always needs doing when we bring it back. Sorry can't help with the OP question. Know our gold site does not advertise.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Jands How far South in Bedfordshire are you?

I know of a couple of places in Northamptonshire.

One will definitely have space and is Cassoa Gold but it might be a bit too far for you. The other one will be closer but will likely have a waiting list.

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Have written to all the Cassoa sites.
Northampton is a bit far but if I can' find anywhere closer would be ok.
Please let me know as all the ones that have replied are full.
Cheers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ours is parked 12 miles away, We pack one of the cars, drive to storage, transfer stuff to MH then leave the car parked in the MH space and same in reverse coming home. We’re away most weekends. No hassle at all.
Just a slight aside to this, whilst I appreciate that your MH is insured for being away from home in storage, when you leave your car there is it also insured for that location and not just at home when unattended overnight etc?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Just a slight aside to this, whilst I appreciate that your MH is insured for being away from home in storage, when you leave your car there is it also insured for that location and not just at home when unattended overnight etc?
When I had a Caravan I stored it at a CCC secure storage. Like @Euphony, when we took the Caravan away I took both our cars to the site, used one to take the Caravan and left the other one there. Security was excellent there and I am sure that the car was safer than it would have been st home while we were away

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Hi MinxyGirl,
Sorry, I’ve just seen this. Yes my car is fully insured while leaving it there, I checked with RAC insurance before doing it the first time and they said yes as long as the vehicle is not left unsupervised which it isn’t in a gated, CCTV covered storage facility.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When I had a Caravan I stored it at a CCC secure storage. Like @Euphony, when we took the Caravan away I took both our cars to the site, used one to take the Caravan and left the other one there. Security was excellent there and I am sure that the car was safer than it would have been st home while we were away
Possibly but that's not my query ... as an example if your car gets damaged at the storage site and you have to make a claim on your own insurance would it actually be covered as you'd have left it there unattended and not in the 'insured' location ... the only reason I ask is that when doing insurance renewals for vehicles I'm always asked where the vehicle is normally left during the day and at night so it obviously has some relevance to the policy cost and possible terms too ... so if a vehicle is stored away from home and not where it was 'recorded' as normally being it might then not be covered. Better to check with the insurer than to just 'assume' it is covered.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi MinxyGirl,
Sorry, I’ve just seen this. Yes my car is fully insured while leaving it there, I checked with RAC insurance before doing it the first time and they said yes as long as the vehicle is not left unsupervised which it isn’t in a gated, CCTV covered storage facility.
That's good ... I just wonder how many people check though ...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Possibly but that's not my query ... as an example if your car gets damaged at the storage site and you have to make a claim on your own insurance would it actually be covered as you'd have left it there unattended and not in the 'insured' location ... the only reason I ask is that when doing insurance renewals for vehicles I'm always asked where the vehicle is normally left during the day and at night so it obviously has some relevance to the policy cost and possible terms too ... so if a vehicle is stored away from home and not where it was 'recorded' as normally being it might then not be covered. Better to check with the insurer than to just 'assume' it is covered.
I think if the car is normally at home occasional parking at a m/h storage would be fine. As to the getting ready to go debate we do a bit of both we park in a secure compound and save on insurance by doing so but have just enough room to park at home the night before going away so it might be worth the OP thinking of that as an option. I think when the spring comes theres often a bit of turnover at the storage places perhaps best asking them for a timescale estimate?

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I think if the car is normally at home occasional parking at a m/h storage would be fine. As to the getting ready to go debate we do a bit of both we park in a secure compound and save on insurance by doing so but have just enough room to park at home the night before going away so it might be worth the OP thinking of that as an option. I think when the spring comes theres often a bit of turnover at the storage places perhaps best asking them for a timescale estimate?
Just out of curiosity was it a decent amount you saved on your insurance,just thinking further down the line ,thanks .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it was about £100 just get your insurance to quote on the drive or the local casssoa gold site. We are with comfort I think!!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
9EE8367C-A161-4900-9EBC-7C4128748993.png You need to check your intended insurer will be ok with your intention to store away from home, I read that some won’t insure in those circumstances. The answer to your search for storage surely must lie with Google, a quick search reveals the above. In addition to this most towns have farmers that offer storage I am aware of two in the Leighton Buzzard area.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
That's good ... I just wonder how many people check though ...
When I checked ( several years ago) they said it was not a problem where I left it occasionally. The insurance is based on where it is Normally kept ( i.e. Driveway, garage, roadside and postcode). In this sense Normal would be most of the time, i.e. Not the occasional weekend or fortnight. If the latter though, I think I would tell them anyway.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I have found that by tying motorhome, car, travel, European breakdown and house insurance to same company we are able to leave car at storage and be fully covered with unattended home for extended periods. Not all companies will provide al of this and car in particular needs careful scrutiny of small print.

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Tried all the Cassoa ones locally and any I found on Google.
It's sites that don't advertise like the 2 in the Leighton buzzards area is what I am after.
Leighton is local to me so would be ideal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back