A Question re Worming Tablets (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Our dog can be a but fussy but will eat anything covered in liver paste.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I hold dogs mouth open, Marg lobs tablet down throat followed by a small amount of water, dog has to swallow and so far hasn't regurgitated, coughed etc, tried most other ways this is quickest easiest and less stressful for our pooch.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
You can get dog worming suppositories. Just approaching it from a different direction :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've just ordered some 'chewy' Milbemax to try this time, but I must admit if we still had a collie I'd struggle on with Drontal.

Malcolm

Malcolm, did you get Milbemax and, if so, how did you get on with it? Or should I say, how did the dog get on with them?:doh:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Our dog won't take worming tablets. Last time we had to do it in France the vet handed the tablet over to us... resulting in more tablet on the floor than in the dog!

Horse wormer comes in a syringe-like applicator. You slide it in the side of the mouth and then turn it slightly inwards and quickly squeeze the dose in. The syringe has a calibrated measure on it and you turn a plastic collar to where you want the dose to be. Its so easy - I used to worm 25 horses each time with no problems.

I wonder why they don't manufacture dog wormers in the same format? Once its in the back of the throat there's nothing they can do about it.

Thinking about it, perhaps if the worming tablet was powdered in a pestle and mortar and mixed with, say, paste you could replicate it. Worth a try.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We did get Milbemax, and not a lot better with the lurcher. The only way is to get it to the back of her throat, and that's hit and miss. I must get a pill popper, anyone know where they are sold?

Malcolm

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We did get Milbemax, and not a lot better with the lurcher. The only way is to get it to the back of her throat, and that's hit and miss. I must get a pill popper, anyone know where they are sold?

Malcolm
Ta. Might just go for the pill popper option as well.

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
we dose ours by using cheap chicken roll started by giving a couple of slices then after a few days wrap the tablet around a couple of slices with the larger tablet type broke into a couple of pieces worked a treat with ours.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
we dose ours by using cheap chicken roll started by giving a couple of slices then after a few days wrap the tablet around a couple of slices with the larger tablet type broke into a couple of pieces worked a treat with ours.

Yes we've discovered that works for our Westie too - it's part of our lunchtime routine now. By that I mean he gets a slice of whatever we're having most lunchtime and doesn't notice if we slip a halved tablet into it when it's due.

Which reminds me...........

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Our dogs will not take any chewy tablets, not their idea of a treat. Luckily Milbemax are also in a pill form which I just place at the back of their tongues. They are not fooled by any pills wrapped in anything, they just eat the wrapping and spit out the pill, they are instantly suspicious of dairylea or similar cheese after being 'fooled' once in the past.

Milbemax are acceptable by Defra

Wendy

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I crush the tablet and put in on bacon.
When i went to the french vet this year, they gave her a worming injection which was a lot easier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back