Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Had a long run over the weekend and came back on Monday. We checked the interior control panel yesterday and the Leisure battery was only on one light. Took her out for an hours run and came back and battery was topped right up. Got up this morning and the level is down again. The fridge is running but would it drain it that much? theres nothing else on as far as I can see.:Sad:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I think the fridge can drain a lot which is why in most installs its linked just to the car battery for driving

stew

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
Hi jomel, Your fridge should not be working off your liesure battery, it should work off the engine starter battery when the engine is running ONLY. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
My fridge works off the leisure battery. We had he same problem when we first got this van.

I thought that I had everything switched off but after discovering the van so to speak I found all soughts of thing switched on.

Things that you would never have thought would drain the battery Have a really good look about and turn off even the smallest of appliances.

Try to get it on ehu at home.

Jim

:Smile:

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
The Genny wont start either so maybe the fridge is draining it. I have checked everything. hmmm ...??? back out for further investigations

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
There is anther factor too. Battery meters show the voltage, which is not an exact measurement of the state of the battery. If you partly charge the battery (with one hours run), the voltage will still be high just after you have switched the engine off, indicating a fully charged battery, even though the battery may only be half charged. You would have to check the meter a few hours after the battery has finished charging to get a more accurate reading.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The Genny wont start either so maybe the fridge is draining it. I have checked everything. hmmm ...??? back out for further investigations

The Fridge won't drain the genny. Is this an on board inbuilt genny ?, if it is it wont start unless you have at least a quater of a tank of petrol, well mine wont anyway.

Jim
:Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, maybe if you update your user profile and funsters could see what van you have we might be able to help further. I see you are in the southwest. where be you to I wonder.

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I noticed that last week I had to have a quarter full tank at least all the time so I mentally put the empty gauge above this. Going to pootle out for a few hours and see if it helps. Hopefully find a quiet scenic spot to have a cuppa.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as you have an RV the chances are you have a compressor type fridge/freezer which will run on the leisure batteries and drain the batteries.

euro van fridges, dometic etc, usually have an electric heating element on both 12v and 230v and are wired to run on 12v only when the engine is running

compressor fridges dont run continuously, just as your fridge at home doesnt, but will run maybe 40 to 50% of the time its switched on so over a day or two it will flatten the batteries.

if you must run it when at home..though i dont see why you need to ?....then only run it when on hookup or run on gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back