Mpg (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Ford tranny 2.2L 140bhp 2800miles so engine still tightish...

Noticed a huge difference in economy driving at 56mph. But not sure if I can sustain it for long.

70mph = 27mpg (not bad I think)
56mph = 37mpg (bloody ell)

That is a huge difference is it not.
Got me thinking that not many motorhomes pass me on the motorway so maybe most peeps have allready realised the huge saving and are laughing at me when I pass em doing 70mph.....any thoughts on the subject ???

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
Different make & model - I have a 3.0 Renault dci140

On motorways I've seen as low as 18mpg when "in a hurry".

Normally I get around 22mpg.

Last trip out, dawdling along about 50mph I got 26/27. :Eeek:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Bessacarr e560, steady 60mph on m/way returns average 33mph.
Happy at that and the 130 engine is ticking over without having to work hard.
Never seen the need to push on any harder as the later arrival time over most distances isn't appreciable.
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Kontiki 645 up behind big lorry 35 mpg on my own on holiday mode (55mph) 28 mpg:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Indeed, I was truly amazed by how much.

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Ducato 2.3jtd, must admit i tend to drive about 65ish but can have a big difference, it has a luton cab and going against a wind mpg really drops but to be honest i have not measured it acuratly

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Last two tankfuls in my E560 have returned 32.8 and 30.2 m.p.g respectively. The 32.8 was almost all motorway driving and the lower figure included going through Edinburgh in the rush hour.

On the motorway I just sit amongst the trucks, suits me. Going along at 70 m.p.h. only makes a few minutes difference at the end of the journey.

I kept a log when we towed a cararvan and have continued to do so with the van. Amazingly the average speed for any given journey is almost the same with the van being only 1 or 2 m.p.h faster. Towing with a Subaru I only got 20-22 m.p.g. though.

Rgds
Bill

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Citroen Relay 120 instantaneous fuel consumption meter;

40mph = 40 mpg

80mph = 20 mpg :Eeek:

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
My 2 Litre Boxer is very low geared, when I got it I was always in the fast lane, I could never understand why most other vans were in the slow lane.

Now I'm a bit older and poorer I'm very happy to go at 56 mph with the lorries, I find it very relaxing and you still get where you're going.

I get about 35 mpg if I do that, it used to be down in the low 20's before.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its a fact....driving at 50mph will use 30% less fuel than driving at 70mph in the same conditions :thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Travelling up to 60mph, and on some steady longer journeys, about 29. More stop start or slow roads (eg recently around cornwall and devon country lanes including porlock!) this drops to around 26. Its a 3 ltr Pilote low profile.

The computer tells me of the dramatic increase if I cruise at 70 or more so I don't do it!

When I had a caravan my last tow car was a volvo S80 which would do 29 or so on a run and 25 to 26 around town solo , towing I did well to get 22 .

So I think the van consumption is quite good.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Ford tranny 2.2L 140bhp 2800miles so engine still tightish...

Noticed a huge difference in economy driving at 56mph. But not sure if I can sustain it for long.

70mph = 27mpg (not bad I think)
56mph = 37mpg (bloody ell)

That is a huge difference is it not.....any thoughts on the subject ???
Assuming it's a non-turbo direct injection diesel Transit, then the figure of 37mpg is achievable.......though only from a panel van camper.

If it's the turbo engine model......no chance! Even a Transit panel van camper such as a Duetto will only return around 30-33mpg at best.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cruse control makes a huge difference to MPG,if you set it at 58mph engine automaticaly shuts down on overun,pays for itself in no time,and a lot less stressfull driving.Would not be without it.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If we travel at 70 / 80 MPH we get 18 ish Mpg at 60 MPH we get 22 Mpg.

The hight of the motorhome makes the biggest difference at speed.

For what is worth I get a better MPG without using Cruse, all that does it work the van hard on the hills. I would rather get a run at the hills and let the speed fall of a bit.

Rich...

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Generally 56mph regarded as most economical speed to travel.

Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

For what is worth I get a better MPG without using Cruse, all that does it work the van hard on the hills. I would rather get a run at the hills and let the speed fall of a bit.

Rich...
I still use the gas pedal to take a run at the hills,but use the cruse all the time on motorways.
The slight up and down movement of your right foot on the gas pedal does waste fuel without realizing it.
When coasting downhill not many drivers take there foot off the gas.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
2.8 pug boxer with a 7 berth on it..
25(ish) at 50mph, 22 at 60, 18 at 70 and up.

Last year fitted a box from Torquing of Cats but sadly it was faulty ! MPG went right down instead of up !
But the chap is really really helpful and stands 100% behind his product.. Send the faulty one back and I have just received replacement with custom map on it for me..
Will report after the Newark show if any better.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Rich...

Then you aren't using your cruise control properly.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Assuming it's a non-turbo direct injection diesel Transit, then the figure of 37mpg is achievable.......though only from a panel van camper.

If it's the turbo engine model......no chance! Even a Transit panel van camper such as a Duetto will only return around 30-33mpg at best.

Its an 09 plate 2-2L turbo diesel. I was quite amazed at the difference myself however thats what the onboard computer is saying and I have had many fords in the past (still have some) and the trip computers have proved to be reliably accurate. I can also tell that its not far out by the fact that the fuel guage doesnt go down as quick.

PS- drive on cruise all the time and we are a low profile model

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
simple really bricks are not very aerodynamic hence mpg not very good or small engine big van engine works hard big engine not working hard same result low mpg these things wernt made for mpg :thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
simple really bricks are not very aerodynamic hence mpg not very good or small engine big van engine works hard big engine not working hard same result low mpg these things wernt made for mpg :thumb:

Eh ??
Not sure if thats an agreement with my 37mpg or another doubt as to the accuracy of my trip computer results ?

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
try doing it another way most mpg results are in near perfect conditions for the vehicle so work out another way of doing it if you fill the van to the brim ,zero the trip and drive it for what ford recoken you should get to the gallon /liter over 20 mile or whatever they state then go to same garage and pump and refill amount used will be a good idea of mpg ,in your norm driveing not there ideal conditions :thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Yes I can easily do a check as to acctual mpg however the ford trip computer thingy on previous vehicles has proven to be very accurate ie if it says yer doing x mpg you wont be far off. Anyway even if its not exactly what it says the fact that there is a huge difference between recorded mpg at 70mph and at 56mph is the point of my post.
Still reckon that my shown mpg of 37 at 56mph is not far off.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We haven't got cruise control on the MH but going on Pete's car which has, and displays the MPG constantly, it is constantly changing whether you are on the flat or wherever, on ordinary roads or motorways, depending on eg the wind, the surrounding area (built up or open contry) other traffic, the road surface at that exact moment, whether the moon is in Aquarius etc etc etc, all at a constant speed of whatever number we choose!

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Eh ??
Not sure if thats an agreement with my 37mpg or another doubt as to the accuracy of my trip computer results ?

We use to have a Luton Hymer with a 2.2 130 BHP transit and I could get 32ish out of this traveling under 60 MPH.

So a smaller low pro should do what you are saying.

I use to check my MPG by using the litres put in to fill up / mileage and the Transit computer was normally within 5%. The computer on our current Fiat is generally ok the most it has been out is being over optimistic by 1.3 Mpg

Just wish I could get over 30MPG out of our current van:cry::cry::cry:

I still stand by I can use less fuel without using Cruse

Rich...

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I used to work out mpg all the time by filling, re-setting milage, and checking miles travelled when filling again and do the calculation.
Of course if you're being picky then the miles travelled is actually more than likely wrong as most speedos read around 10% over the speed you are actually doing.

Heavy foot does mean light wallet. At christmas we went to disney and got stuck on the M25. Even though we had left plenty of time we were at risk of missing the frry we'd booked so as soon as I was off the M25 foot down as hard as it would go and not realeased until Dover.....result of that.....had to re-fuel about 60 miles from Disney.:cry:
On the way home...steady 55-60mph.....all the way home on a full tank.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As the old saying goes....We got em so we gota run em.:thumb:

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
We haven't got cruise control on the MH but going on Pete's car which has, and displays the MPG constantly, it is constantly changing whether you are on the flat or wherever, on ordinary roads or motorways, depending on eg the wind, the surrounding area (built up or open contry) other traffic, the road surface at that exact moment, whether the moon is in Aquarius etc etc etc, all at a constant speed of whatever number we choose!

The MPG is a average, and I think the cruise is great for mpg, I do not have it on the van but I have a mondeo at the mo until my new car comes next week, went from Bolton to exeter last weekend set it at 87 and it managed 53mpg for a 2lt tdci which is way more than I can get with my very heavy right foot:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back