Bay view site Carnforth ?? (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Anyone stayed at Link Removed this site, any good ??
ie
shower block good
pitches good
views good ?
etc etc

Any other reccomendations for this area, want sea views, nice walks nice shower block (mrs ips is very particular about her shower blocks, yes I know we have a perfectly usable one in the van but tell mrs ips that)

ips

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Afternoon IPS - I hope you're rich it costs a fortune to stop there!

I haven't stayed there in the camper but have a good friend who has a static on there (ours is in Over Kellet, can't afford Holgates!) so visit a fair bit.

It is a beautiful site with great views out over the bay. I haven't seen the shower block but would suspect it will be spotless & well maintained if the bar & pool are anything to go by.

It's a shame you need a shower block, otherwise I'm sure I've seen a Caravan Club CL just round the corner from Holgates on the road to Arnside - I'll have a look & see if i can see a ref for it (it may even be a CCC CS).

There are some nice walks straight from the site, either through the woods or over Arnside Knott & down into Arnside, again with some great views. You can always walk down to the Woodlands Hotel at Silverdale too, a very bizarre place indeed, but I defy you not to have a good time in there, so long as you like real ale & don't mind a few "strange" locals!

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Thanks however just to clarify this is "Bay view" its owned by Holgates but is further south.
Your right about holgates we stayed there last year at £30 per night...ouch. Bay view is stated as £18 so much better. Some other sites in same area (Bolton le sands) so a few to go at. ???
ips

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ah sorry I didn't actually check out the link - I just saw Holgates & thought :whatthe:

There is Gibraltar Farm too in Silverdale, it's supposed to be nice there (although I haven't stayed), & there is New Barns at Arnside which i think takes tourers now.

As you say, if it's Carnforth itself (or near to) there's a few Bolton le Sands way, but again I haven't stayed on any of these.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Link Removed

So is that a yes its a good site you must go as I thouroughly reccomend it blah blah blah.....or are you just showing me your holiday snaps. :winky:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Ah sorry I didn't actually check out the link - I just saw Holgates & thought :whatthe:
It was my fault, the link shows holgates I should have changed the text or summat but couldnt be bothered ::bigsmile:
Short list is..

Bay view
Red bank
Morecambe lodge

ips

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
We stayed there last year for a weekend, the first one in our van, I used to go there with my parents years ago and it was called Detron Gate Farm, but Holgates bought it early last year, cant remember how much but it was not cheap, facilities are ok warm clean showers etc but the view depends on your pitch, and i would say only 50% have a bay view.

Somebody mentioned Gibralter Farm , I have stayed here numerous times and it is a fantastic site as in location , Excellent views, Walks and fresh air with two pubs in walking distance, however facilities are minimum and really a bit of a let down, it would not put meoff for a weekend but would not stay longer,
Also if you have kids there is a woods with rope swinga and caves, they love it, It also came 17th in the times tope twenty costal sites

Hope this helps:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
So is that a yes its a good site you must go as I thouroughly reccomend it blah blah blah.....or are you just showing me your holiday snaps. :winky:

Rather nice holiday snaps of Funsters:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Suzy (Brian admins Suzy) held a meet there and it was excellent. I would recommend it but we were on rally rate so cant comment on prices.

Very clean and spacious with stunning views.

We had fabulous weather there to that helps::bigsmile:

Me with my little caravan

Attachments

• Morecambe Sept 09 Suzy 005.jpg
    Morecambe Sept 09 Suzy 005.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Morecambe Sept 09 Suzy 008.jpg
    Morecambe Sept 09 Suzy 008.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nicklb

Many thanks yes that does help. :thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Suzy (Brian admins Suzy) held a meet there and it was excellent. I would recommend it but we were on rally rate so cant comment on prices.

Many thanks, not bothered about price so it sounds like its well worth a trip.

What is bolton le sands village / town centre like. I imagine its a one horse town like Grange over sands...am I right ??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You asked for views, you got views.

You want a full written report then please submit your CC details.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
You asked for views, you got views.

You want a full written report then please submit your CC details.

Full report would be very acceptable, many thanks :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What is bolton le sands village / town centre like. I imagine its a one horse town like Grange over sands...am I right ??

One donkey.

Nothing much scenery wise except the endless mudflats which are fine if you are into endless mudflats. If you are lucky some maniac in land yachts may entertain you.

Suzi and Bryan got us some stunning pitches, best on site but we were told next time we visit they will be filled with mega expensive statics.

It's too far for our old legs to make Morecambe but it's worth driving there. It might be possible by push bike but it may involve carrying them a bit.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thank you, its another grange then as I suspected. Dont have bikes and cant be bothered getting scooter out in this cold weather and my legs (and back) are old so Morecambe is out (not that it was ever in).

For the record I am not into mudflats, and I assume that niether is mrs ips. You have put me off now so I now need another sea front reccomendation (promissed mrs ips) in north lancs or south cumbria..............any suggetsions ????

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Full report would be very acceptable, many thanks :ROFLMAO:

Anything we say from the meet is probably irrelevant. There was a whole lot of work going on and though it may become modern and bingo at six it will have lost it's olde farme with ye olde farme shoppe atmosphere.

But, and I'm being too good to you here, there is a wild camping spot half a mile away with campsite at the end of the dead end road that does good snacks. Or for that matter you could just camp there. Sorry forgotten the name of it.

Image: Bayview on right, farm campsite on left and on the road to the farm campsite is the wild camping spot. Quite a few were there in Sept.

Attachments

• bolton.jpg
    bolton.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks, yes I googled and there are a few sites on same road. One was called Red barn or summat and is for tents and MH looked really nice but only opens easter. Is this area worth a trip or is it a bit naff (honestly now) we like nice scenery and nice walks mrs ips likes nice shower bolcks and a restaurant in walking distace would be nice. (not hopefull for the latter, not interested in pub meals we only do restaurants)

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Hi again, to be honest Morcambe has had a lot of money spent on it and the front is great for walking and cycling and the views across the bay are excellent especialy at the north end but is has a poor selection of shops , it is a good base for Lancaster and south lakes and certainly worth a weekend, bolton le sands is one road, nothing like grange but at the top of the site (Holgates) is the Lancaster canal which you can walk along and there are a couple of pubs along the way

:Smile:

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Oh I forgot there is a railway that runs along all the sites on that road you could get some noise but I can only comment on the holgates site and to be honest the noise did not really bother us

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi
Just had a look on this google map camera thingy and it doesnt show bay view but area looks nice. So.............bay view, sandside or morecambe lodge.....what do you think ???

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For the record I am not into mudflats, and I assume that niether is mrs ips. You have put me off now so I now need another sea front reccomendation (promissed mrs ips) in north lancs or south cumbria..............any suggetsions ????

How about lake front ? The CC site near Coniston has all the facilities and a nice walk to Coniston where you might find eating to suit your elevated tastes. Then you can have a cruise on the old steamer. Old steamer, sounds like your description.

Or a bit more touristy but really good Chinese and Italian, Bowness CC site. Every level of cuisine you could ever wish for. Again, a lake to cruise.

The Ambleside "aire" would be good restaurant wise, reasonable walk to lake.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Many thanks
However CC at coniston I dont think is open yet. Went to Ambleside aire 4 weeks ago and it was a ghost town at night. Off to Bowness next week even though up untill buying MH last june we had a boat on windermere for 9yrs and spent every weekend there, still love the place and has some great restaurants and bars. So off to see some boaty friends next week and have a good meal out.
Sincere thanks for ideas though :thumb:

Old steamer..........how very dar you :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
At bay view seems ok but chuffing long walk to shower block was dark when we got here so check it out proper tomorow mrs ips in bed me still on 1st half of bottle of scotch

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Update re-Bay view

Nice views from certain pitches
Pleasant walk on shoreline to Hest bank
Morecambe ... well we drove to it then drove back :Smile:
Lots of statics
Lots of seasonal tourers
Not really geared to tourers IMO
as.....
Chemical disposal right down the bottom of site next to kids playground (poor kids)
Showers are sperate cubicles at side of shower block bit like beach huts (or pontins)
Toilets have been done up lately so ok I suppose (ish)
Majority of pitches are on hardstanding on a hillside and not level (big ramps req)

We wernt given an option of elec pitch and ended up with fully serviced pitch at £20 pn
Cant work prices out as ...
No elec £12
elec £14
serviced £20
So thats £12 pn per pitch + £2 pn for elec and a further £6 pn for a tap :Eeek:

Dont get that at all.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Dont get me wrong we enjoyed it but thought there was some issues. Did you not find the showers a bit naff and the chemical disposal at the side of kids playground a bit daft or indeed the £20 pn in low season a bit high. Not that I have a problem with £20 but compared to an average of £14 - £16 at this time of year a site has to be exceptionall to justify it. Holgates who own / run this site charge £30 pn at there silverdale site however I dont have a problem as that is an exceptionaly good site (if you like pools and bars on site that is) And trying to find reception was a chore in itself but thats another story.
PS-Archers cafe at tuther end of shoreline was very very nice and defo worth a visit, lovely place, lovely food.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back