Weight v Power Scooter ? (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are looking at the lightest scooter but a good power for two up.I think the SH Mode 125cc by Honda seems a good idea at 116kg @11.3 bhp . Any other suggestions ?
I have a full bike licence but the weight is important.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Have you checked to see if you have sufficient payload available. How will you be mounting it; garage or rear slung and via what support mechanism.

Cheers,

Andrew

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In rear garage,450kg max but rear axle only 150 kg available .I will use the tie down lugs provided in the floor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The new 2017 KTM Duke 390
44bhp and only 149kg :love:

2017-ktm-390-duke-white_827x510_61491298514.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In rear garage,450kg max but rear axle only 150 kg available .I will use the tie down lugs provided in the floor
As mentioned many times on here 150Kg at the rear is considerably more at the rear axle - dependant on rear overhang.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our 125 Yam manages us both quite well and we don't suffer from anorexia ;)
There's a chart somewhere where you measure where load is going to centre of back axle and it gives actual weight.
Our Moho right now is loaded to the gunnels ready for our winter in Spain, full tanks and extras on board and went over the weighbridge two up with 125kgs to go on rear axles.

image.jpeg

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Unless your garage is almost on your back axle 116kg scooter and rack to carry it in garage will be over 150kg on the axle . Do the maths before you buy :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What suspension do you have?

Air could be a good idea. Bit expensive if its Alko but if its on leafs you can get the helpers fairly cheaply, makes a big difference.

Jon
btw have you got any height issues?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We used a Honda 125cc Innova on ours at just over 100kg.

Carried two fairly well padded passengers anywhere we wanted to go at about 50 mph.

Now carrying Honda PCX 125 scooter but, at 130kg, we now use a Hydratrail trailer to keep weight off back axle.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Honda Innova 125cc. 4 speed semi auto gearbox, big stable wheels, easily cruises 2 up, goes up mountains and steep hills, bulletproof Honda reliability, and only a smidgen over 100kgs.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We are looking at the lightest scooter but a good power for two up.I think the SH Mode 125cc by Honda seems a good idea at 116kg @11.3 bhp . Any other suggestions ?
I have a full bike licence but the weight is important.

If I placed that particular Scooter in my MoHo garage then it would have a 168.3kg effect on the rear axle. I'll stick with a mountain bike or my 4x4 hiking boots:D2

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Nomad ,the Honda brochure does not have a Innova .For that weight they show a Vision 110 @102 kg ,110cc. 8.7bhp.
Will look in to the Innova .
Blue Knight,seems we have similar wheelbase and garage centre line .I lose 47kg on front axle and will be replacing three batteries @ 88kg from the garage with Lithium to front @ 23 kg. I already have capacity so with scooter so still have some left.
As stated,if I use a rear scooter carrier it is close to the mark

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
My wheelbase is 4040mm and the distance from the axle to the central garage point is 1880mm. My overhang is just too big for a rear mounted scooter plus the scaffolding to hold it there.

Regards,

Andrew

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We have a Honda 100cc for sale. Pulls like a little train even with me 100kg (ish) and 'er indoors rather less. Not to the liking of 'er indoors apparently

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back from the showrooms.Yamaha Delight 125 cc at 99 kg wet.But small wheels ,preferred larger diameter wheels of the Honda SH MODE at 116 wet.Honda looks a better product .

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Having a full bike license and having to ride a 125cc scooter twos up most of the time will drive you mad...
We had a new Honda Forza 125 which swallowed 2 helmets under the seat and shopping in the top box for a year but even though it was the largest/most capable 125 out there it lacked the power and safety coming off the roundabouts
I kidded myself all would be OK and that we wouldn’t miss our CBR1000 from yesterdayear but it just gnaws away at you once you get out on the open road again
The result was we fully appreciated the convenience and easy ride of a scooter so swapped it for a Yamaha TMax 530 and tow it in a box trailer.
Of course the trailer is rammed with other full timing essentials but have you considered a lightweight open bike trailer for your needs?
Easy to manoeuvre and you get to ride a decent bike twos up....

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Having a full bike license and having to ride a 125cc scooter twos up most of the time will drive you mad...
We had a new Honda Forza 125 which swallowed 2 helmets under the seat and shopping in the top box for a year but even though it was the largest/most capable 125 out there it lacked the power and safety coming off the roundabouts
I kidded myself all would be OK and that we wouldn’t miss our CBR1000 from yesterdayear but it just gnaws away at you once you get out on the open road again
The result was we fully appreciated the convenience and easy ride of a scooter so swapped it for a Yamaha TMax 530 and tow it in a box trailer.
Of course the trailer is rammed with other full timing essentials but have you considered a lightweight open bike trailer for your needs?

I've got to agree fully. As an experienced biker I just could not bring myself to ride a scooter. I would rather walk.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve had and still have large capacity bikes, but I still like going for a trundle on Cindy’s twist and go Vespa GTS 300. It’s a great utility vehicle for local trips into or across town, horses for courses.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Fireflies
True .
But we have just started out on our full timing (4 months so far) and we have a vision of touring Europe without something in tow and although 8 mtr long we could still use our overhang (1.5 mtr) to park in various locations .
Compromise as usual in motorhoming.
Will try this idea first and see how it pans out but as you say if it bugs me then we have options.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Absolutely. Could not agree more. The thought of a proper bike eats away at you. You know a scooter makes sense in every way, it carries more load, is lighter, cheaper, less likely to be stolen or vandalised, your not going to be doing 100+ mph in flip flops and vest. They remind you so much of yesteryear when biking was fun and you were KING OF THE ROAD! But alas, they are not fun in any way, so slow on main roads they are humiliating to ride, you open the throttle fully down a slip road and by the time you're joining the duel carriageway you're in the way of car drivers, who have to slow down or pull out. It's degrading and against my human rights :mad:
My advice is make every effort to have a proper motorcycle because once you've got a scooter, your Mrs will like it and will be against the idea of upgrading (bloody common sense, who needs it :oops2: ). I'm having a right job persuading Ann :oops:

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have ridden (and still riding) big bikes for 50 yrs and love "em ,but on the m/h I use a Honda Innova on the towbar because its light and I dont want the bother of towing a bigger bike.Ideally a bit more power (20+ bhp ) would be great but I keep off the m/ways and only cruise at 45/50 mph on the bike.Probably could manage an extra 20 kg on the back and downgrade to a smaller road bike (dont go much above 60 mph anyway.)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I think some of you experienced riders ought to try some of the modern scooters. Slow they are not. Honda Silver Wings and Suzuki Bergman scooters will cruise happily at 100mph. The Gilera 180 Runner I had would easily carry two up at 70 and was in the spec as 0 to 60mph in under six seconds. My current MP3 500 will match most of todays traffic and while it's not the same as my 1800 Wing it is fun in its own right.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think some of you experienced riders ought to try some of the modern scooters. Slow they are not. Honda Silver Wings and Suzuki Bergman scooters will cruise happily at 100mph. The Gilera 180 Runner I had would easily carry two up at 70 and was in the spec as 0 to 60mph in under six seconds. My current MP3 500 will match most of todays traffic and while it's not the same as my 1800 Wing it is fun in its own right.

I have a Burgman 400 , rev limiter cuts in about 90mph
but they will cruise happily not much slower , and covers the miles well see here :

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I've got to agree fully. As an experienced biker I just could not bring myself to ride a scooter. I would rather walk.

I used to think that way, but having a several 125cc scooters as well a bikes, I find their practicality very useful, I agree , no street cred, but very useful as a commuting/shopping tool.
Wouldn't be without proper bikes though.

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Oh dear!
What have I said?
It’s highly amusing to read the views here as ‘scooters’ in Northern European countries are perceived as oddities and an affront to 2 wheel adventure.....
It’s about horses for courses....
Left to my own devices I would have a BMW 1200GS in the trailer right now if I thought it was any more practical for our current lifestyle than the ‘Scooter’ that sits there now!
Once you get down to the Med and the temps hit 35*C every day the last thing you want to don is a shed load of protective thick bike gear.
The ‘Scooter’ we have is a good compromise in that it will pull us quite happily twos up above a ton, is actually built like a motorcycle with the motor in a low frame (not above the back wheel) so corners and accelerates like a mid range bike BUT...
You get to ride in ‘going out clothes’ (with a decent jacket & jeans)
You can do a two day Mercadona shop and shove it in the top box and under the seat
It’s the first away at the lights (I have to slow down for speed limits)
Dead easy to ride as it’s twist and hang on
Easy to park up

What I’m attempting to say really is try a big scooter like a TMax, BMW, Bergman...etc
They are far safer than wobbling around a dual carriageway on an underpowered small scooter and Totally Perfect for us Numptys who find ourselves in motorhomes touring sun drenched warm countries.
Unsuitable for the cold damp UK (ours is brill in the summer there BTW) but spot on when you are overseas
As an all round practical weapon of choice I’m totally satisfied with mine....right up to the point I try and squeeze in a GS next to it in the trailer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back