Windscreen Repair in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 25, 2015
east devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer b674
Exp
since 2013
Can anyone help as i am sure i am not the first.

We are in Spain. A lorry through up a stone and this chipped the windscreen and left a very small bullet like hole --its on the drivers side but on the curve of a Hymer A class front screen.

I phoned Autoglass as per Comforts instructions, they got Carglass here in Spain to call me who said they cant replace an A class screen here. I said can it not be repaired but they said they cant repair as the screen may crack altogether. We were not intending to return to the UK until July.

Anyone experienced this issue?

Andrew

2midlifedreamersontour.com

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If you go to a motorhome dealer ask them because the Spanish have a class motorhomes :rolleyes: I would say it's more about being paid to do it. :LOL:

If it became unsafe to drive let Comfort recover it to somewhere that will replace it, :LOL: Or tell them to sort it, that's why we have insurance. :D2 Bob.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Yes, me in August with a Hymer. This is what I did. Phone insurance co., tell them the problem which is that carglass don't do Hymers in Spain or France. They will suggest you call the underwriter ( Aviva in our case ) , complain and suggest that you call a Hymer agent and book it in for the screen as long as they pay. You'll have to pay up front and the dealer will need to send a receipt to the ins. In our case the insurance paid out within 24 hours. The dealer was in Gandia near Valencia. Let me know if you need more, I am with comfort too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Yes, me in August with a Hymer. This is what I did. Phone insurance co., tell them the problem which is that carglass don't do Hymers in Spain or France. They will suggest you call the underwriter ( Aviva in our case ) , complain and suggest that you call a Hymer agent and book it in for the screen as long as they pay. You'll have to pay up front and the dealer will need to send a receipt to the ins. In our case the insurance paid out within 24 hours. The dealer was in Gandia near Valencia. Let me know if you need more, I am with comfort too.

That's pretty good service and pay out from Comfort (Aviva) who I contacted on this subject yesterday and were told to consult a dealer. Just curious, what the cost of the replacement windscreen was and was it a fast turnaround?

Dave

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Surely that means a repairable windscreen now becomes a claim and effects your no claim? Even if they repaired it and you had to pay and claim back then would it be the same eg a chip repair does not effect your NCB

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Surely that means a repairable windscreen now becomes a claim and effects your no claim? Even if they repaired it and you had to pay and claim back then would it be the same eg a chip repair does not effect your NCB

I don't know. On the phone yesterday I was told to still proceed by calling the windscreen helpline first who would authorise a repair agent. Maybe @adonisito can answer that one?

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
I think it was a shade under £1700 all in, screen took 10 days to arrive in Spain from Germany and 2 hours to fit, we stayed on the aire near Gandia while we waited. In our case the screen and cracked top to bottom so had to be replaced.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I think it was a shade under £1700 all in, screen took 10 days to arrive in Spain from Germany and 2 hours to fit, we stayed on the aire near Gandia while we waited. In our case the screen and cracked top to bottom so had to be replaced.

Many thanks...the price seems 'fairly reasonable' for an A Class and I'm guessing sourced from Hymer. Two hours to fit pretty good as well.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Also what if your time limited and can’t wait 2 weeks or whatever ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
ANY claim, regardless of who's fault, needs to be relayed to insurance companies and may/may not affect your premium, we had a windscreen replaced and a chip repaired on our MHs and neither affected our policy premiums.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It may be a case of Carglass not being willing, rather than able, in Spain. Even so, your insurance company ought to be providing whatever they promised. Can you cover the hole as a temporary repair and wait until your return to the UK? Alternatively, are you close to Portugal? I believe the agent there may be able to sort it out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It may be a case of Carglass not being willing, rather than able, in Spain. Even so, your insurance company ought to be providing whatever they promised. Can you cover the hole as a temporary repair and wait until your return to the UK? Alternatively, are you close to Portugal? I believe the agent there may be able to sort it out.
I've just 'read' your avatar with my QR scanner ... very good! :D2

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Rogher is right, Aviva suggested we drive to Portugal as carglass work on Hymers there. To sort mine I simply told the 2 Aviva people that liase with Comfort that I would source an agent, book the van in and pay up front as long as they paid up as soon as the Dealer emailed the receipt. Luckily I speak Spanish. To be honest Comfort should make it clear that Carglass don't do Hymers in France and Spain.

OP
OP
eleanor rigby
Jul 25, 2015
east devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer b674
Exp
since 2013
Well i emailed Comfort explaining that the hole was well outside of the drivers field of vision and only about 1cm in length and that Carglass really didnt want to know, not even repair. They have suggested waiting to return to the UK but to contact them again if it worsens. I am loathe to use another windscreen repairer because if they botch it, it may give Comfort an excuse not to replace at a later time. As stated there are an awful lot of A class vans driving round Spain and so this issue cannot be uncommon. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Andrew

2midlifedreamersontour.com

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you're coming back to UK, I'd stick some duct tape or similar over and cross fingers. Much easier to deal with at home, where most will speak your own language!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
If you're coming back to UK, I'd stick some duct tape or similar over and cross fingers. Much easier to deal with at home, where most will speak your own language!

Agreed. If the laminate has not been breached a film of Duct tape, especially the near clear type, inside and out should hold. The only problem is if it interferes with your vision.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Would it be an idea to contact these people who advertise windscreen repairs in Spain:

Finding someone to fix the chip is surely the most sensible suggestion, it’s a ten minute repair and should only cost a modest amount, perhaps 30-40 € any garage should have details of a local screen guy if he happens to be independent even better. It is far better to get a chip repaired as soon as possible after it occurs than wait taking the chance that the chip may develop into a crack which will require a replacement screen.

Reactions: f6c
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Read this it’s about the same subject

Broken Link Removed

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Finding someone to fix the chip is surely the most sensible suggestion, it’s a ten minute repair and should only cost a modest amount, perhaps 30-40 € any garage should have details of a local screen guy if he happens to be independent even better. It is far better to get a chip repaired as soon as possible after it occurs than wait taking the chance that the chip may develop into a crack which will require a replacement screen.

:oops: A very sensible suggestion. (Note to self. Reread the OP for putting foot in mouth) :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back