Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I have been looking at Silver screens on the web, and in the shops, Looking at the materials and filling inside I cant see much difference between the silver screens that are costly and the thermal insulating doovery at B&Q. 7.5 metres at BQ costs ten pound, so with silver tape and some suction caps or velcro would it be ok to use? I really cant see any difference at all.
Its not that I am a scrooge but Im pretty sure I can make some myself (snaps purse shut!)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have been looking at Silver screens on the web,
Its not that I am a scrooge but Im pretty sure I can make some myself (snaps purse shut!)

At a guess - strength - B&Q is made to fit and forget, proper stuff is made to stand fitting/removing many times.

And I think that without doubt you are a scrooge.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You could have a go at making them , i suppose, if your handy with a sewing machine.
But they'd have to be snug or the air would get between it and the glass and they'd be
''neither use nor ornament'' as my gran would say.
We've got the proper Paragon silver screen . The one with the inner mesh front , with the top bit that drops down. Fits perfectly to the cab , works like a dream. No condensation what so ever . Even through the recent - temps. The mesh bit at the front means , you can drop down the front , to see out . The mesh stops the condensation forming on the front windscreen through the day , if your in, in freezing temps.

We've also got a cheaper version which was in an outside locker when we bought the MH.
We didn't know it was in there:Doh:
If we had we probably wouldn't have bought the genuine version , as it works well.
Ralph has used the cheaper version when he worked away and stayed in the MH for 4 weeks. It doesn't fit quite as snug and doesn't have the extra mesh insert at the front , but stops all the condensation. The silver fabric isn't quite the same. The new Paragon version is a lot thinner and doesn't get air in it , between the layers.
Meaning when you fold it away when you've finished with it, its smaller to pack.

The ones you see stuck to the inside with suckers, are OK for keeping heat out in the summer, but you would find your windows ringing wet in the winter.
There are 2 adults 3 kids and 2 dogs in our MH too. So plenty of hot air to condensate!!
Infact we are thinking about selling the cheaper version , as we dont realy need 2.
So if anyones interested ,I'd need to ask Ralph how much he wants for it. 2006 fiat ducato cab.
Bev

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I think the only way of knowing is to have a go. Its not expensive so if it doesnt work well I suppose I can resize it and line the back of the cupboards or make a cosy loo seat cover or two and sell them at a boot sale.
Will keep you updated, but if you dont hear another word its cos Im way too embarrassed to admit it failed tee hee. However if it does work I may open a shop on ebay and give you a discount, I'm not that mean really.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I presume you are referring to thin internal screens, not the brand 'Silverscreens'? If the latter, there is no comparison as they are much thicker, more flexible and will withstand a lot of use. I have just used the DIY roofing type to make a panel to fit over the inside of one of my motorhome garage doors. It is fixed with velcro and whilst it should be fine with careful handling as that door is not used much, it would soon deteriorate if I had to fix and remove it regularly.

Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Hi Peter, yes I mean internal ones. I will have a go at making some and see how I get on. If nothing else, it keeps me busy and out of mischief.::bigsmile:

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Hi Peter, yes I mean internal ones. I will have a go at making some and see how I get on. If nothing else, it keeps me busy and out of mischief.::bigsmile:

I have seen a lot of motorhomes with internal screens, and it seems that they really do encourage condensation - the external ones are infinitely better!!

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I have seen a lot of motorhomes with internal screens, and it seems that they really do encourage condensation - the external ones are infinitely better!!
Thats not caused by the use of internal screens, but the dummies who don't vent their van properly!

External screens are best used during winter and when the mh may be static for long periods.

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Lol maybe I am a scrooge and dont realise it though I prefer to think of me as thrifty:Smile:
Well I think that they are going to have to be made specially if we need external ones as its an RV.
I made a front screen strip for the inside this afternoon and ran silver tape around the edges and its okay actually. It provides a privacy screen if nothing else.
The cab is always well ventilated.
Our first night sleeping in the RV was last Friday. It was freezing outside but cosy inside, however the windows at the head of the fixed rear bed let in a cold draught on my head.
There are normal blinds on all the windows but they offer no insulation at all. Hubby said he woke up in the night to find me halfway down the bed, under the quilt snoring my head off. The latter I dispute as there is no evidence, but it was the warmest place to be.::bigsmile:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
The latter I dispute as there is no evidence, but it was the warmest place to be.::bigsmile:

Yeah right.............:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back