Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If I bought fridge vent covers would that stop the draughts coming in from the top of the fridge? It only comes in when the wind is blowing in that side,I can't move pitch unfortunately as I'm on a site where you are put on one for the duration of my stay.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Can you turn round and face another way?
The fridge should be completely sealed from tbe habitation area so no poisonous gasses enter.
Perhaps this needs to be looked at?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
No they won't let me turn around as I'm on a grass pitch and can't drive uphill on this wet grass, Warden helped me get on wooden chocks facing downhill as he said if I get stuck he can't pull me out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have the same issue with our fridge. Colin intends to take the fridge out and replace the seal, when and if he ever gets round to it, I will let you know if it works!!

In extreme cold, i.e at a ski resort, we have cut out a piece of that silver bubble wrap stuff to the shape of a fridge vent cover, leaving the vital bit open as a proper cover would and stick it to the outside of the vent.

Of course, I suppse we could stop being so tight and buy the proper covers but we so rarely need them it seems a waste of money.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the same issue with our fridge. Colin intends to take the fridge out and replace the seal, when and if he ever gets round to it, I will let you know if it works!!

In extreme cold, i.e at a ski resort, we have cut out a piece of that silver bubble wrap stuff to the shape of a fridge vent cover, leaving the vital bit open as a proper cover would and stick it to the outside of the vent.

Of course, I suppse we could stop being so tight and buy the proper covers but we so rarely need them it seems a waste of money.
I'm the same £20 for 2peices of plastic seems a lot so I might do the same.
Thank you

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had a similar problem ours was the vent behind the grill. As we never use it I took the vent off and fitted some kinspan insulation behind it and refitted now no problem! (just have to remember not to use it).

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Had a similar problem ours was the vent behind the grill. As we never use it I took the vent off and fitted some kinspan insulation behind it and refitted now no problem! (just have to remember not to use it).
Yes, we have a bubble wrap cover for that too when needed. Our van looks so classy when it's really cold, lots of silver bubble wrap and duck tape everywhere!

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Big b
I've stuffed a spare quilt on top of my fridge, and a big blanket underneath!!

Don't look posh, but works a treat!! Lol.
Big blanket underneath??? Where on earth does that go?
Or the spare quilt I wonder??

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
@Welsh girl , just seen where you are on another thread. If you want covers, try Webbs Caravans about 5 minutes drive from you. They might well have them. Out of the site, turn left, at (large) roundabout take 3rd exit (not park & ride). Ignore road closed ahead sign! Next roundabout, 2nd exit, you'll see them in front of you. Castlegate Business Park, Old Sarum, Salisbury SP4 6QX. Tel 01722 326111. Friendly, helpful staff, good shop. I get my hab checks done there.
Chris

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Chris.They only do caravans but I guess the vents are the same.
@Welsh girl , just seen where you are on another thread. If you want covers, try Webbs Caravans about 5 minutes drive from you. Out of the site, turn left, at (large) roundabout take 3rd exit (not park & ride). Ignore road closed ahead sign! Next roundabout, 2nd exit, you'll see them in front of you. Castlegate Business Park, Old Sarum, Salisbury SP4 6QX. Tel 01722 326111.
Chris

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it's worth buying the covers. You are advised to fit them when the average temperature gets below around 10°C anyway, though some folk don't bother with them. You can also drive with them in place and they are good to have fitted when washing the van.
Sadly, you may not be able to get them in time for today's gales. :(

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes John,not looking forward to those gales.I might pop up to Webb's to get them then or just get the bubble wrap on depends on my legs,if they want to go or not. So it's. A bus ride for me as I can't move the van.

Reactions: DBK

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
@Welsh girl before you buy, put a photo of your vents and their dimensions on here. Someone may well have a spare from a previous van they no longer use and be willing to send them to you.

In the meantime I think it would be safe to Partially cover the external vents ( proper vent covers usually allow some air to pass) but please don't stuff blankets around the fridge inside. That really does not sound safe

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
@Welsh girl before you buy, put a photo of your vents and their dimensions on here. Someone may well have a spare from a previous van they no longer use and be willing to send them to you.

In the meantime I think it would be safe to Partially cover the external vents ( proper vent covers usually allow some air to pass) but please don't stuff blankets around the fridge inside. That really does not sound safe
My thoughts on the blankets too!!! I don't have any vents covers to take a picture of to send , oh I get it a picture of my fridge outside vents . Ok .

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
If the fridge has been fitted properly there should be no draughts getting in when the wind is blowing onto the side of the van, if there is the combustion gasses from using it on gas will also be entering the van.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello , Make sure you measure up as the vents are various sizes as I have found out :)

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If the fridge has been fitted properly there should be no draughts getting in when the wind is blowing onto the side of the van, if there is the combustion gasses from using it on gas will also be entering the van.
I think it will be coming in from, well now where the covers should be but isn't there a vent underneath the fridge in the floor as well?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hello , Make sure you measure up as the vents are various sizes as I have found out :)
Thanks. That reminds me to measure before I buy.
It's a dometic,aren't the all the same size, except for the ones with a separate freezer compartment?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If I bought fridge vent covers would that stop the draughts coming in from the top of the fridge? It only comes in when the wind is blowing in that side,I can't move pitch unfortunately as I'm on a site where you are put on one for the duration of my stay.

Which van do you have. There maybe someone out there with the exact same problem and solution.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Which van do you have. There maybe someone out there with the exact same problem and solution.
I have an Autotrail Cheyenne but I think dometic covers,the under work top one are popular in most older models .

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have an Autotrail Cheyenne but I think dometic covers,the under work top one are popular in most older models .

That's a shame. Our first van was a MY16 Autotrail and I've got to admit that the fridge housing was well sealed; no problems for us.

It may be worth giving AT a call to see what they have to say.

There has been some great advice given in this thread but the idea of stuffing a blanket behind the fridge is not the best option IMO as you need it fixed properly.

Good luck,

Andrew

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
It may be worthwhile taking the grills off on the outside - two turnbuckles in the left on mine, and seeing if you can address the real problem - your fridge seals seem to have gone AWOL!

You may we’ll be able to apply some duct tape through the vent hole to stop the drafts (and noxious fumes) from getting into the interior. I did this recently to our Rapido, although mine was simpler as I have storage above and below the fridge, and the difference is really noticeable - the heating really does work now!!!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Duct tape works a treat

DSC01183.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks Terry. I'll do that first.
My vent covers do not completely cover the bottom vent, there is a thin slot.
The fridge installation also has a couple of small vents in the floor so air can get in that way all the time.
If you know you have vents in the floor then you could block off the lower vent completely but I wouldn't. The concept of doing DIY mods to gas appliances isn't generally recommended. :)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I take it that once the covers of whatever description are put in place, the fridge cannot be used?, especially on gas. Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the vent covers were for putting the van into winter storage, or washing down etc. We have them in a box in the garage supplied with new van and haven't used them yet, but will put them on if the weather gets much colder, and while the van is stored on our drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back