onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Hi

We are due to travel to Lake Garda for the meet, we are thinking of spending one or two nights wild camping on the way.

This would be the first time that we would wild camp on our own.

We were wondering how safe we would be and for those people that do wild camp how safe do you feel.

Do you think we should give this a go? Or do you have any hot tips?

onthebeach:thumb:

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
Since we were introduced to camping in aires five years ago we seldom use campsites. When away in France this February we found that there were few vans about and for safety's sake we like to have company. As an alternative we used well lit car parks next to cafés and housing and had no trouble sleeping.
Don't believe the silly stories of gassing, it is an urban myth that has been thoroughly disproved.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or do you have any hot tips?
onthebeach:thumb:

Have you got Jim's book ?

Obviously heed what has been said here time and time again about motorways and eastern Spain.

But going through France, why bother with all the aires costing little.

I'm in the same boat, never have wild camped and I would feel very uneasy at first. I'd be awake every time a leaf rustled.

We did break Golden Rule One due to missing the parking in Calais and stopped on the first motorway aire. We only just got on it, it was heaving so semi safe and the ladies of the night were patrolling for us. But I just got a couple of hours essential rest then set off.

I'll try and be brave on the way back from Garda and find a magnificent place to wild camp.

I did Wild Camp in the Rockies once, one man tent, trees all around clawed by bears and I know mountain lions were nearby because one ate a child, now that was scary because I could hear things moving all night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Go for it!

In France there is a very tolerant attitude to MHs and we've hardly ever used sites. We've also only ever used a couple of aires, preferring to find wild spots. We've never had a problem and (maybe through naivety) always felt safe.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You really should read this book. :Smile: >Link Removed Your purchase helps support this site too:thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have wild camped for years in tents, VW campers a 1967 Comma Caravenette (lovely) and in recent years our Swift Konitiki without ever having a problem. To me my relaxation is everything. I will not wild camp somewhere rubbish or that feels unsafe. The slightest chance of being disturbed either noise wise or traffic wise and I move on. If somewhere doesnt feel right then I move on.

Having spend most of last summer in Europe mainly in France I can honestly say as far as feeling safe is concerned I felt fine and so did Mrs D. We feel much safer wilding abroad in say France than in the UK. We actively seek out places on our own usually off the beaten track. Our order of preference is Wild spot by a beach, lake or river with a great view. Aire or CL with similar, campsite if we are really desparate.

MH are so common in France parked all over the place nobody ever gives you a second glance. We have no alarms or added security and Im not worried.

If an axe murderer is coming to get you he will get you on a campsite just as easily as he would by a lake or on a mountain top.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Been "wild camping" (or "off campsite camping") more than 330 nights a year for the last twenty years all over Europe and so far have had very little trouble. I sometimes join other motorhomers but in general try to avoid the large clusters of the things.

I do still follow simple rules... always park so you can drive away without three point turns etc. I never leave anything outside the van (including outside sliver screen thingies.) I always know where the keys and my trousers are so can get away from any possible trouble swiftly (but have only thought I needed to do so on half a dozen occasions in all those years.)

I am, however, single and do not have to take any other person's worries or feelings into account.

JJ

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You just have to use a little common sense, and listen to your instincts.

If it feels dodgy, then it probably is - you can always move on! Talk to other motorhomers when you are over there - you would be amazed how friendly people are, and humbled by their grasp of english. They will advise of good places they know about.

You will be fine, just make sure you batten down the hatches, and strap the front doors if it makes you feel safer:thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I always know where the keys and my trousers are so can get away from any possible trouble swiftly
JJ

This was also my policy when I was single JJ. Ah. Happy days!:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back