We're in Spain and don't have a Safefill adapter ... argh! (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
On the way to catch the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander we stopped off at a gas place to make sure we had enough calor and the guy sold us on the benefits of Safefill cylinders.

So we took the plunge.

But, he failed to mention we would need an adapter to use it in Spain. Silly me should have thought to ask, but I didn't think did I.

We stopped of at a garage that did LPG and they tried to help. They even had some adapters, but all the ones we tried seemed to leak, so I figure they were maybe a continental style thread or something as they were not specifically Safefill ones.

We do have a small calor cylinder just in case, but we don't have an adapter for that either.

We are going to be in Spain for another month.

Anyone got any ideas as to how we could get an adapter for the Safefill cylinder. We tried Safefill.co.uk, but they don't answer the phone (the voicemail box is always full) and it appears emails go unanswered too.

Any bright ideas would be much appreciated.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
In Spain you need what they call the Euro adapter. In France and Portugal they use a cup-shaped one. If you have one of those, and if you are heading to either country, that would do it.

Otherwise you could presumably have one couriered? Amazon do deliver to Spain but amazon UK dont seem to stock them.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Looking at ebay seems there are adapters out there. They are notthe same as " standard" adapters. On your cylinder the internal thread is a lh thread same as a calor gas cylinder, i think.
If you go on ebay and search " safefill adapter" you will find them easily. How you get it to spain dont know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Not sure what safefill are but that adapter we have for Spain looks like this ..... coke car sized beer for scale ...... I understand hat some garages have them to “lend”

image.jpg

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not sure what safefill are but that adapter we have for Spain looks like this ..... coke car sized beer for scale ...... I understand hat some garages have them to “lend”

View attachment 197970

Yes. That looks like the one the woman in the garage was trying to use, but every time we tried it the LPG came squirting out all over the place. Good job I gave up smoking years ago :)

Maybe they're slightly different for the Safefill cylinders, although can't see how as if they were different it wouldn't fit the pipe on our van would it?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

View attachment 197970

This might be suitable.................?
Gaslow Euro Spanish Adaptor

Price:
£25.59
SKU:
01-4305
Brand:
Gaslow
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout
Delivery between £3.50 - £12.95.
Our Terms and Conditions.

Quantity:

Product Description
Gaslow Euro Spanish Adaptor
New Gaslow European Quick Release Travel Fill Adapter. For New Installations anywhere in Europe incl Spain.

Also known as Euronozzel.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
That’s the chap, got a set of three with the Alugas system........ had some fun filling initially but now we’ve done it four times we’re old hands !

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
When the bottles are full, you get a blow back of gas that can be quite disconcerting if you’re not used to it

Yes. That looks like the one the woman in the garage was trying to use, but every time we tried it the LPG came squirting out all over the place. Good job I gave up smoking years ago :)

Maybe they're slightly different for the Safefill cylinders, although can't see how as if they were different it wouldn't fit the pipe on our van would it?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
I think there is a difference. The safefill is left hand thread as a standard calor pol thread.
I believe the standard gaslow type adapters are right hand thread so not compatible.
I have neither, just a bit of web research.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I thought safefil were stand alone bottles, hence you have no filler point fitted on the side of your vehicle.
Unsure if they see you standing there with just a bottle or your gas locker open if they will let you do it.
Been some reports of garages not allowing it, In the UK most of the fill places are tucked away and not mainstream garages..

Good luck, worst case buy a Spanish bottle and adapt that. Lots of info on here about that.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Going over what has already been said so others don't keep repeating it:
  • it is a Safefill cylinder
  • it has a LH thread so is the opposite to the RH threaded adaptors for use with the fillers for Gaslow, Gasit, Alugas so they won't work with it
  • what is needed is a LH thread adaptor specifically to be used with a Safefill type cylinder
I've found this on a Netherlands heating company site which confirms the above regarding the 'handing' of the threads and they make an adaptor to convert the LH thread to a RH thread so any of the standard adaptors can be used, ie such as those sold by Gasit, Gaslow etc.

It might therefore be worth going to a heating company and seeing if they have anything that may be suitable to do the same job - if so you should then be able to use the adaptors provided by the fuel stations to fill, or be able to buy the standard filling ones there.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Going back to basics. In post 1 you say you have a calor cylinder. Is it propane with a handwheel valve? If yes and you have a hose that connects to the calor cylinder it will be a left hand thread.
Does this same hose screw into the safefill cylinder??
If so this establishes fact that calor, hose and safefill are all the same thread, this will be a left hand thread.
If so you will need a safefill adapter.
I believe that gaslow, gasit,alugas etc refillable cylinders have a normal right hand thread to fit the adapter, can someone confirm p!ease?

I,m a slow typer, Minxy got there before me.......

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Why is there always someone that has to be different. Just another adaptor needed but miles from where you are going to get one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've found a full set of adaptors on Ebay and it says they will post to Spain ... any good?

On the Gasit website it clearly states that their adaptors will NOT fit the Safefill bottles:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-3-part-european-fill-point-adapter-kit.html

"THESE ITEM ARE FOR RIGHT HAND THREADED FILLPOINTS ONLY (99.9% of fill points are Right Hand )

THESE DO NOT WORK WITH SAFEFILL BOTTLES AS THEY HAVE A LEFT HAND THREAD ONLY"

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
If you do find something in the UK, the seller should be able to arrange courier or urgent parcel delivery to some Spanish address within about 3 days. DPD is an excellent parcel delivery company that I've used from the UK many times.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I've found a full set of adaptors on Ebay and it says they will post to Spain ... any good?

On the Gasit website it clearly states that their adaptors will NOT fit the Safefill bottles:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-3-part-european-fill-point-adapter-kit.html

"THESE ITEM ARE FOR RIGHT HAND THREADED FILLPOINTS ONLY (99.9% of fill points are Right Hand )

THESE DO NOT WORK WITH SAFEFILL BOTTLES AS THEY HAVE A LEFT HAND THREAD ONLY"

All that is needed is the POL adaptor shown on the right of your find Minxy; then the adaptors most of use will fit.
Must admit I thought one of these was supplied with each Safefill.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All that is needed is the POL adaptor shown on the right of your find Minxy; then the adaptors most of use will fit.
Must admit I thought one of these was supplied with each Safefill.
It appears to be cheaper to buy them all together rather than buy an adaptor to convert to the thread for the standard adaptors and then buy them afterwards especially if getting them posted to Spain.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I posted that earlier but it's in the Netherlands and they'd still need the adaptors, or have to borrow the ones from the fuel station.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It appears to be cheaper to buy them all together rather than buy an adaptor to convert to the thread for the standard adaptors and then buy them afterwards especially if getting them posted to Spain.

Agreed, but I have no idea how much posting will cost.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Agreed, but I have no idea how much posting will cost.
According to the Ebay listing when changing it to posting to Spain it adds £7.00

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Very good value :).
I suspect if the OP gets in touch with them and explains his predicament he may be able to get them sent out quickly too. (y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've got a Safefill cylinder, and yes the points about threads are right, you need the proper Safefill adaptor and not one designed for Gasit etc. The adaptors the garages carry will be intended for use with a car filling point, none of them will work I think, the car bayonet filling point that most UK LPG cars are fitted with has a right hand internal thread if memory serves me right.

Best to buy a Safefill adaptor off Ebay and get it sent to Spain as others have said. I've not used a Spanish one but have used the cup type adaptor in Germany with no issues.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thank you all so much.

It is great to know that there's nothing wrong with cylinder itself as I was worried when gas was escaping as soon as we attached the adapter the garage had.

I've ordered one now for delivery to a place near Benidorm where we are heading shortly. In the meantime we'll just wrap up well and Wear are woolly hats in bed :)

Thanks again to everyone. You're the best!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back